O's scouting LHP Chen Wei-Yin and SS Hiroyuki Nakajima; D.Stockstill returning?

ChaosLex

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Dave stays around, despite being awful at his job? Wow, what an organization the Orioles are...Get promoted if you don't deserve it and stay there for years despite poor results.

The issue is, is he awful at his current job? He's fluent in Spanish, having played ball in Spanish-speaking countries for a number of years. The Orioles Dominican Summer League team had a great record this season, and the GCL team also made the playoffs with a heavy dose of Latin players, two of whom made the BA top 20 for the GCL. So who is really qualified to say whether he is doing a good job or not down there?

The specific criticisms that I heard about Stockstill as farm director don't necessarily translate over to his responsibilities regarding international scouting.

I'm not advocating that the next GM should retain either Stockstill if he's got somebody better in mind, but it simply isn't the case that we had "poor results" out of Latin America this year. Morevoer, if the Orioles chose not to spend big money on Dominican bonus babies, that isn't Stockstill's doing.

The issue is, is he awful at his current job? He's fluent in Spanish, having played ball in Spanish-speaking countries for a number of years. The Orioles Dominican Summer League team had a great record this season, and the GCL team also made the playoffs with a heavy dose of Latin players, two of whom made the BA top 20 for the GCL. So who is really qualified to say whether he is doing a good job or not down there?

The specific criticisms that I heard about Stockstill as farm director don't necessarily translate over to his responsibilities regarding international scouting.

I'm not advocating that the next GM should retain either Stockstill if he's got somebody better in mind, but it simply isn't the case that we had "poor results" out of Latin America this year. Morevoer, if the Orioles chose not to spend big money on Dominican bonus babies, that isn't Stockstill's doing.

Oooo, one year! Let's see if it continues.

I really get amazed how people on here are just so lenient on stuff like this.

Poor results? Ehh, who cares, there was one year where everything was good! WOOHOOO!!!

Dave Stockstill just started as director of international scouting last year (not sure -- someone feel free to correct me on this). He's already added Eduardo Rodriguez and Gabriel Lino, both of whom are legit prospects, from Venezuela, where the Orioles have historically had absolutely zero presence, plus the aforementioned very solid results out of the DSL team. He may have been an awful farm director, but the returns since he was switched over have been much better than they had been previously (which is definitely not saying much).

Poor results? Ehh, who cares, there was one year where everything was good! WOOHOOO!!!

Well if he's only been in that position for one year, then what else are you looking at?

Uh, the guy didn't start on the job until April 2010. By then, the coaches and the players for 2010 were already set, no?

I really get amazed at your ability to spout opinions on subjects you know almost nothing about. I'm not saying that Stockstill is good or bad at his current job -- but I am saying that you have no idea one way or the other whether he's any good at it. If you are judging solely on results, well, the results were good.

The fact that he was inept to begin with...he shouldn't even be here, new job or not.

He wasn't kept around for his baseball accumen..He was kept around because PA liked him.

Well you may not be good at running a diamond mine, but you are apparently very good at running a jewelry store.

Same may be true of Stockstill scouting international talent versus running a farm system, since I believe they involved very different skills.

I'm not saying he is good, because I don't know, and neither do you.

I'm with you in that I hope the new GM can decide what to do with him and everyone else without more than typical limitations.

Well you may not be good at running a diamond mine, but you are apparently very good at running a jewelry store.

Same may be true of Stockstill scouting international talent versus running a farm system, since I believe they involved very different skills.

I'm not saying he is good, because I don't know, and neither do you.

I'm with you in that I hope the new GM can decide what to do with him and everyone else without more than typical limitations.

I don't think its any coincidence that he was put in charge of something that the Orioles care very little about.

I don't think its any coincidence that he was put in charge of something that the Orioles care very little about.

You may be right. But you made it very clear that you base your opinion of results without needing to know how those results were achieved, and in this case, the results seem to be favorable, at least considering how little the O's care about that market as you point out.

Good, bad or indifferent, the Stockstills are now a symbol of failure for the Orioles.

If they're truly qualified, they can find jobs with other organizations. If not, they shouldn't be hired here. Either way, it's a bad sign that either of them are guaranteed a role in this organization in advance of a newly hired GM'y type of person.

Archived