Trying to ban chewing tobacco at WS?

RevOlution

Here's a decent article on the subject from SI.

Baseball banned smokeless tobacco in the minor leagues in 1993. Recent call-ups from the minors spoke of "Dip Police" who would come through clubhouses and cite players if they saw tobacco at their lockers, subjecting violators to fines.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/09/24/tobacco.ban.ap/index.html

I watched plenty of games on television, and plenty of players chewing tobacco. It didn't make me want to chew tobacco. I've never chewed tobacco, and to me it isn't an attractive habit. At the same time, I don't feel it's right to ban the chewing, and think it's silly even to ask them to voluntarily stop. As much violence and simulated sex as there is on TV for kids to view, they're complaining about chewing tobacco? No way there's as much debilitation and death that result from people chewing tobacco, as people making unsafe choices regarding sex and violence. C'mon....

When I was a kid over 60 years ago, I remember watching Rocky Nelson chewing tobacco and spitting on tv (yes we had tv back them). Ol' Rocky lived 82 years smoking Cubans and chewing. I never thought it was a good idea.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=nelsoro01

And isn't part of the fun of baseball, watching guys like Buck, Tito Francona, etc. in the dugout with yellowed teeth and wads in their cheeks spitting and scratching their nuts? Just sayin'.

Note to RevO - I personally hate seeing guys like Nicky with cans in their back pocket or seeing guys spitting into cups, but I also hate seeing peeps standing outside of buildings smoking. Both of my parents smoked but I never did. As TGO might say, "Spitters gonna spit and smokers gonna smoke!" :(

Congress needs anything to keep the public's mind off of the fact that they are hemorrhaging money. For the simple fact that we can't drive without a seat belt, ride a motorcycle without a helmet, smoke anywhere in the US, eat transfats, make our own booze, drink overproof alcohol(banned in NC), serve McDonald's to children without the fat police protesting, can't gamble unless the government gets a cut(via lottery), can't swear at sporting events, wear baggy pants without warranting a search, or speaking the word "terrorist" without offending someone is beginning grind my gears(as Peter Griffin would put it).

Now, we've got a couple idiots in DC who believes they know what's best for all of us attempting to eliminate "backer teeth" from ballplayers. In a sport that's more American than apple pie and cocaine no less. "But, it's all for the children... Think of the children!!! Their parents won't. It's up to the baseball players to raise these kids properly. And YOU to cast your vote for banning ANYTHING that entertains us. I love America!!! Vote!!!(this message is brought to you buy grannies in congress. Please do your part to ruin the lives of anyone under the age of 60. Always drink responsibly, and remember to wear your helmet when exiting the short bus).

See no evil, Hear no Evil, Speak no evil! Quick everyone run for the basement! I think there is much worse things on TV then seeing a glimpse of someone chewing tobacco. Its a horrible habbit and I don't how women could date guys that chew it must be the $$$$ haha....

When I was a kid over 60 years ago, I remember watching Rocky Nelson chewing tobacco and spitting on tv (yes we had tv back them). Ol' Rocky lived 82 years smoking Cubans and chewing. I never thought it was a good idea.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=nelsoro01

And isn't part of the fun of baseball, watching guys like Buck, Tito Francona, etc. in the dugout with yellowed teeth and wads in their cheeks spitting and scratching their nuts? Just sayin'.

Note to RevO - I personally hate seeing guys like Nicky with cans in their back pocket or seeing guys spitting into cups, but I also hate seeing peeps standing outside of buildings smoking. Both of my parents smoked but I never did. As TGO might say, "Spitters gonna spit and smokers gonna smoke!" :(

Just my personal opinion, I'd prefer to see ball players chewin and spittin, then watchin all the crotch manuevering. Yea, it's still there guys. ;) I realize it's a guy thingy and a woman will never be able to understand why it's a necessary evil for men to fondle themselves. :D

BTW Bobalouie, I don't smoke either (both parents did though), so it really annoys the heck out of me, to see the employees leaving the building, several times a day, for their nicotine fix. Nothing like having, at the very least, six/ten minute breaks.

And I agree with what most everyone else is saying...where does the interferring stop? What happened to good ole parental guidance.

Archived