Orioles Hangout Top Prospects: #19 - Bob McCrory - RHP

ScottieBaseball

I'd be happy if Hoey could be a seventh inning guy that maybe you could get two innings out of twice a week. I'd like to see McCrory get a look in spring training and start in Norfolk. Maybe he can move up around June and pitch in the eighth a few times a week. We'll see who closes, but these two are dark darkhorses to me.

Agree with this.

Well, the differencer between the two pitchers is simple, Hoey is good, McCrory isn't. I don't want a guy who can barely get guys out at Bowie closing games for us.

McCrory at AA:

9.00 H/9

6.26 BB/9

8.61 K/9

1.70 WHIP

Hoey at AA:

6.27 H/9

1.93 BB/9

13.50 K/9

0.91 WHIP

There is really no comparison as to who the better pitcher is.

BobMc forgot this one:

I have to admit that I may have been swayed by that ever-present trap, having a higher opinion than is perhaps warranted about the last guy you've seen who impressed you, so I fully anticipate being in the "way off" category. :D

Listen, I get the stats thing. I do. I also like what I see, that's all. Will let him play it out -- and I'm excited to see that :)

Hoey's been given more than "a ML trial". Yes, I see it as the heebie jeebies.

McCrory IS and SHOULD be a candidate for our next closer, as long as "candidate" means he'll be given the chance in Spring Training to win the job.

Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong, but I personally have concerns with Hoey's ability to carry over his minor league dominance to the big league level. He's a 25-year old reliever with a 1.81 WHIP at the big league level with a nearly 1:1 walk-to-strikeout ratio. Is that really someone you're ready to hand the ball to in the 9th inning? I'd prefer giving McCrory a shot in Spring Training.

Hangout Disclaimer: Scott's comments are his opinions and do not neccessarily constitute an official Hangout position! :D

There is a reason that McCrory is rated below Hoey and I'll be the first to admit that out of the two of them, Hoey has a much better chance of being undervalued/under-rated than McCrory.

I think Hoey has a good chance of pitching out of the pen in a set up role with the Orioles next year while McCrory will have to pitch well as Bowie's closer before getting a shot with the Orioles sometime next year.

Both need to improve the command of their secondary stuff and Hoey needs to prove he can pitch without the jitters at the major league level.

I don't see either Hoey or McCrory as our future closer. If both can become solid middle relievers or set-up guys, I'll be very content. I think Hoey begins the year in Baltimore, but as a MR; McCrory begins the year as the closer in AA or AAA, getting called up in July when injuries occur.

By the way, where is the poll for #20?

Well, the differencer between the two pitchers is simple, Hoey is good, McCrory isn't. I don't want a guy who can barely get guys out at Bowie closing games for us.

McCrory at AA:

9.00 H/9

6.26 BB/9

8.61 K/9

1.70 WHIP

Hoey at AA:

6.27 H/9

1.93 BB/9

13.50 K/9

0.91 WHIP

There is really no comparison as to who the better pitcher is.

The classic example of lies, damn lies, and statistics. McCrory's numbers were skewed by a couple of rough outings that he had right after he was promoted. High A to AA is the biggest jump in the minors. This comparison, in and of itself, is meaningless at this specific time.

Cory Doyne led the International League in saves last yr. before he went down. And check the peripherals; they're tremendous.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Cory%20Doyne&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=449127

I don't think the Orioles began to see what he could do in his limited appearances up here; I'm sure he was hurting. He would appear to have the mental makeup to close, anyway, although he may be done physically. If he's healthy, I'd hope they give him a look this spring.

Otherwise, you're looking at throwing McCrory or Hoey to the wolves, trading for some veteran that may cost you a draft choice (if he's any good), or using the people you used last year with little success.

Cory Doyne led the International League in saves last yr. before he went down. And check the peripherals; they're tremendous.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Cory%20Doyne&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=449127

I don't think the Orioles began to see what he could do in his limited appearances up here; I'm sure he was hurting. He would appear to have the mental makeup to close, anyway, although he may be done physically. If he's healthy, I'd hope they give him a look this spring.

Otherwise, you're looking at throwing McCrory or Hoey to the wolves, trading for some veteran that may cost you a draft choice (if he's any good), or using the people you used last year with little success.

Agree that Doyne should get a look this spring, but I'm not counting on him being our closer. Frankly, if we are going to blow up this team and truely rebuild, I just want to see us have solid prospects throughout the bullpen. I don't really care who closes, especially since Ray should be back after next season.

Archived