Ready for the rematch

Sports Guy

They just showed the mania meter on ESPN Gameday, I guess it ranks the decibal ratings of each school they've been to, Syracuse was first, MD was tied with Kansas for second and UConn was last. So I don't think the MD fans were quiet. Abd Syracuse had something like 30,000 fans at their game, so hard to compete with that.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my goodness, if you think we weren't loud, you're deaf. Or ESPN's mics were off. That was by far the loudest I've heard Comcast in my two years. Great creativity by all the fans, very well behaved overall, and friggin loud. My ears are still ringing, and will be for quite some time. And I won't have a voice anytime before Tuesday.

I'm borrowing this from a post in a thread titled "Crowd" at www.terptown.com. From "All-Conference" poster Parlay:

not only was it as good as comcast has ever been, it was as good as cole ever was. it was simply the best crowd i have experienced at maryland.

From Devils0720 ("Not a Duke Fan")

The students were as dominant as the players. Period.

Also, to address the issue of storming the court, I couldn't have said it better than Devils0720:

You say that because you weren't on the court.

Maybe if you saw JG's reaction to everyone on the court you would change your opinion.

So forgive my borrowing these quotes, because I am so emotionally drained right now that I don't think I can say anything too meaningful myself. Once again, I turn to Devils0720 for the summation of my night, and probably the night of the 4,000 students that were at Comcast:

Rushing the court and physically embracing the players after a win against a much HATED rival is one of the best feelings I've experienced.

I rushed from right behind the Maryland bench and hugged Nik and Mike Jones (who I knew from a class last year) and high-fived Grinnon and Bowers. What a wonderful feeling.

Being at that game was one of the best experiences of my life. The atmosphere there will be hard to duplicate in future games, maybe impossible.

I'm tearing up. I'm sitting at my computer, slightly buzzed (only slightly because I have to be up in...jeez 7 hours...to go work at the women's game), at 3:45AM and I'm tearing up. I'm only a sophomore, but it will be nearly impossible to top this night for my best college memory.

Props to MCcray for holding JJ to a quiet 20 something points. And Mike Jones for going on an 8-0 run to keep us in the game. To sweep Dook in a season is unreal. And i agree, the crowd was quite on tv. This Md team is so up and down. We can beat any team in the country and we can lose to anyone. This was such a big win.

I'm borrowing this from a post in a thread titled "Crowd" at www.terptown.com. From "All-Conference" poster Parlay:

From Devils0720 ("Not a Duke Fan")

Also, to address the issue of storming the court, I couldn't have said it better than Devils0720:

So forgive my borrowing these quotes, because I am so emotionally drained right now that I don't think I can say anything too meaningful myself. Once again, I turn to Devils0720 for the summation of my night, and probably the night of the 4,000 students that were at Comcast:

I rushed from right behind the Maryland bench and hugged Nik and Mike Jones (who I knew from a class last year) and high-fived Grinnon and Bowers. What a wonderful feeling.

I'm tearing up. I'm sitting at my computer, slightly buzzed (only slightly because I have to be up in...jeez 7 hours...to go work at the women's game), at 3:45AM and I'm tearing up. I'm only a sophomore, but it will be nearly impossible to top this night for my best college memory.

Wow, I wish I had gone to UMD. Missed out on the 2002 year, I would of still been in school that year.

Yeah, he owned the glass and was abusing Garrison, good thing we got him out of the game. The guy is a beast! Ewing was great too. Reddick had a good scoring total but I wouldn't say he played a good game, he missed a good amount of shots and turned it over too much.

TGarrison

Min RB As TO Bks Pts

38 11 1 2 4 17

SWilliams 34 16 1 2 3 23

Theres noone on the Terps im any harder on then Travis Garrison. I think Garrison played one of the best games ive seen since hes been a Terp. I applaud the fact that Garrison with his parttime lowpost playing had something to do with Williams, exclusively lowpost, fouling out. How about that. Im not quite sure from the stats alone that he was being abused by Williams. Williams was abusing the team.

Furthermore I think if Garrison had the physical aggressiveness of NCM the Terps would be more consistant. NCM is scary. Its like he has all this energy to burn and in the process burns down his own house. I found myself in the last minute of the game pleading for NCM not to touch the ball.

Kudos for whoevers tutoring Bowers. Just from one game the guy is playing more with his back to the basket in the lowpost. The guy gave an absolute quality 10 minutes.

I hate to rain on the parade, but if history tells us anything (this year) next game at NCSU they will lose and maybe even @ UVA they will lose. It pisses me off we get up for Duke but lose to teams we should beat like Clemson and NCSU. Maryland is not a good team until we can beat the Clemsons, Miami's and NCSU's of the world.

Thats a strange bedfellow when you can beat the #2 and #7 team in the country (which happens to be the same team, Duke), and get blowed out by NCSt and Clemson, which is not even on the second tier bubble for the NIT :confused:

Just like players need to work on their game, the coach needs to work on finding solutions to tempering levels of intensity. That situtation all comes back to the coach, when you have that disparity in intensity. Which is more important beating Duke and losing the next 3 games to scrubbs, or losing to Duke and winning those games. Well unless a coaches ego get in the way its about wins and losses. How does a team get so up to play Duke, and when they lose to obvious inferior teams the coach says the intensity just wasnt there.

What was up with the fans tonight?

They seemed very quiet in long stretches of the game and then, they rush the court?

Don't you get to the point where you are an elite prgram and you no longer rush the court?

Don't you expect to win games like this?

I can understand why you don't understand - since you're a Duke fan. It's called genuine enthusiasm - something that fans who don't rehearse chants - have.

After their freshmen years everyone thought Caner-Medley would be the man last year.

After last year everyone thought Jones would be the man this year.

All McCray does is play great defense and shoot as well as anyone. He is going to be an important part of some NBA team's bench one day.

McCray is a good college player, but you're making him out to be something he just isn't. You keep saying he's a real good shooter, but for a shooting guard, he has poor range. He's a 30% 3 point shooter this year - just like last year? Is it possible that he'll improve? Yes. But right now, he is not a good shooter. Him being on the floor at the 2 is one reason MD is a poor 3 point shooting team. I hope he makes it to the NBA, but besides shooting, he's not a super fluid athlete - you can see on fast breaks that he has trouble finishing some times, as he has to gather himself before leaping.

Mike Jones was the difference last night in the second half. He's showing that he's not just an outside shooter. He also has post-up skills. And it was his pass - after drawing the 2ble team - to set up Gilchrest for a 3 point play late - that was maybe the biggest play of the game.

McCray is a good college player, but you're making him out to be something he just isn't. You keep saying he's a real good shooter, but for a shooting guard, he has poor range. He's a 30% 3 point shooter this year - just like last year? Is it possible that he'll improve? Yes. But right now, he is not a good shooter. Him being on the floor at the 2 is one reason MD is a poor 3 point shooting team. I hope he makes it to the NBA, but besides shooting, he's not a super fluid athlete - you can see on fast breaks that he has trouble finishing some times, as he has to gather himself before leaping.

Mike Jones was the difference last night in the second half. He's showing that he's not just an outside shooter. He also has post-up skills. And it was his pass - after drawing the 2ble team - to set up Gilchrest for a 3 point play late - that was maybe the biggest play of the game.

He is third on the team in FG% of those who have major PT, behind Gist and Caner-Medley. He's third in PPG, behind C-M and Gilchrist. Plus, he is a better defender and free-throw shooter then anyone on the team.

What was up with the fans tonight?

They seemed very quiet in long stretches of the game and then, they rush the court?

Don't you get to the point where you are an elite prgram and you no longer rush the court?

Don't you expect to win games like this?

Didn't the Dukies rush the court after beating Carolina?

Normally, though, I would agree with you. But this game had so much build-up, especially with College Game Day there, that I don't blame the fans, and if I were there I probably would've joined them.

I believe Jones has averaged 14.0 the last two games in fairly limited action, and during that stretch he's taken (and made) 1 3 pointer. His cuts and his passing are showing that he's really picking up the offense.

As for McCray, he's probably one of my favorite guys on the team, and he does so many things well. But he simply has not been a consistent three point shooter. I believe he had something like 4 three pointers made through the first 7 ACC games or something like that. He's looked much, much better these last three games though, and him shooting the ball well is a huge lift to Maryland, especially because of the extra space it allows on the inside.

I can understand why you don't understand - since you're a Duke fan. It's called genuine enthusiasm - something that fans who don't rehearse chants - have.

LOL...Yea, the same enthusiasm that MARYLAND HAS COPIED, along with many other schools, from Cameron. LOL Now thats funny.

BTW, as i said, as an elite program, you do not rush the floor anymore unless you are in a very down year and happen to be a top team.

The Cameron fans did not rush the court when they beat UNC. They EXPECT to win and so should you guys.

As far as the crowd noise...Maybe the mics were turned down so that they did not pick up things they expected to hear from the MD fans. But on the TV, it sounded very quiet, especially when Duke was up by like 7 or 8 in the second half. But if you guys are saying it was very loud, i will obviously defer to those who were there.

Archived