Ready for the rematch

Sports Guy

To be fair, Sports Guy isn't the only one with a hangup about fans rushing the court after a victory. The guy who does the college basketball column for The Sporting News (Mike DeCourcy?) criticised Terps fans for that 2 or 3 years ago. I actually sent him an e-mail about it, and he replied - saying he didn't mean to just single out Maryland. But he said to me that he thinks the only reason fans do that is so they'll get on tv. That didn't make much sense to me - since there are so many people on the floor that nobody watching on tv is going to be able to tell who's out there. Anyway, rushing the court isn't something I would do, but I don't see any harm in it. I figure it's just a release for some people, and they enjoy it. I guess it's a little immature, but I still don't get why it bothers others.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought many of the calls were questionable...But I mean, we beat Duke. Why complain now? Would you be complaining if you beat us, and you got some good calls?

./QUOTE]

My point is that MD fans never say, well Duke beat us because they are better.

They always lose "thanks to the officiating".

Funny how when a game is called very tight and Duke loses most fo their team, that all of a sudden the officiating is not brought up.

I just find it amusing how Terp fans use the refs as a crutch when they lose to Duke.

Not sure if you go on Duke boards, but I saw a lot of complaining about the refs by Duke fans and a lot of fans refusing to say they lost to the better team. So Duke fans are certainly not above MD in that respect. The only reason MD fans complain more is because they usually get the short end of the stick while Duke usually gets the benefit of the doubt from the refs.

You are right, it was not some mad rush. BUT, that is thanks to Duke security.

I also heard that the Duke fans started to rush the court but were held back by security after the NC game. And I'm amazed this is somehow a way too be critical of a program or its fans. Hmmm...My team loses so I don't have much to say so I'll rip the fans. And like others have said, why would we be ripping the fans after a win? Whats the point in that?

TGarrison

Min RB As TO Bks Pts

38 11 1 2 4 17

SWilliams 34 16 1 2 3 23

Theres noone on the Terps im any harder on then Travis Garrison. I think Garrison played one of the best games ive seen since hes been a Terp. I applaud the fact that Garrison with his parttime lowpost playing had something to do with Williams, exclusively lowpost, fouling out. How about that. Im not quite sure from the stats alone that he was being abused by Williams. Williams was abusing the team.

Furthermore I think if Garrison had the physical aggressiveness of NCM the Terps would be more consistant. NCM is scary. Its like he has all this energy to burn and in the process burns down his own house. I found myself in the last minute of the game pleading for NCM not to touch the ball.

Kudos for whoevers tutoring Bowers. Just from one game the guy is playing more with his back to the basket in the lowpost. The guy gave an absolute quality 10 minutes.

Garrison played decent, but Williams was abusing him in the post and on the boards. We were just lucky that Duke wasn't giving him the ball enough and he fouled out. Plus it was easier for Garrison to fill up the stat sheet with some Duke scrubs playing in the post. And 17 points on 15 shots is not anything to write home about for a PF.

But he certainly didn't play bad at all, the only guy who struggled was NCM who was awful.

To be fair, Sports Guy isn't the only one with a hangup about fans rushing the court after a victory. The guy who does the college basketball column for The Sporting News (Mike DeCourcy?) criticised Terps fans for that 2 or 3 years ago. I actually sent him an e-mail about it, and he replied - saying he didn't mean to just single out Maryland. But he said to me that he thinks the only reason fans do that is so they'll get on tv. That didn't make much sense to me - since there are so many people on the floor that nobody watching on tv is going to be able to tell who's out there. Anyway, rushing the court isn't something I would do, but I don't see any harm in it. I figure it's just a release for some people, and they enjoy it. I guess it's a little immature, but I still don't get why it bothers others.

Actually, the act of rushign the court does not bother me in the least.

All i am saying is that when you are on a level of MD as a program, you do not rush the court anymore unless you are in the midst of a real down season.

Thats my point. You guys can disagree with that and thats fine but i know if Duke had rushed the court after beating UNC the other day, i would have thought that was pretty dumb on their part.

And another thing....Another riot in CP? Do you guys strive to be the Detroit of the east coast or something?

YOu win a regular season game and you burn stuff and get arrested? You have to have police surrounding you in riot gear?

Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Nice win but end of the day, all you did was win a regular season game.

All i am saying is that when you are on a level of MD as a program, you do not rush the court anymore unless you are in the midst of a real down season.

Thats my point. You guys can disagree with that and thats fine but i know if Duke had rushed the court after beating UNC the other day, i would have thought that was pretty dumb on their part.

And another thing....Another riot in CP? Do you guys strive to be the Detroit of the east coast or something?

YOu win a regular season game and you burn stuff and get arrested? You have to have police surrounding you in riot gear?

Oh that was real original! Only a very small portion of our fans do the rioting, mostly people who were to drunk to even pay attention to the game anyway. The great Maryland fans don't turn a great win into violence. It is pretty despicable for you to group all of us Maryland fans together and call our actions "pathetic".

You said you don't stoop down to a lower level after a loss 'like most maryland fans do', but that is exactly what you just did.

RE: Rushing the court.

I agree it's done too often, not just in College Park, but everywhere. Beating Duke in a close, tense game, on national TV, in the evening (which gives you more time to drink beer), makes it predictable that the kids would rush the court.

Keep in mind that, for many of the kids running onto the court on Saturday, this is the biggest win they have EVER seen in person. It's the biggest big-game atmosphere they will ever experience. I still wish they wouldn't do it, but since when do drunken college kids do the right thing?

Oh that was real original! Only a very small portion of our fans do the rioting, mostly people who were to drunk to even pay attention to the game anyway. The great Maryland fans don't turn a great win into violence. It is pretty despicable for you to group all of us Maryland fans together and call our actions "pathetic".

You said you don't stoop down to a lower level after a loss 'like most maryland fans do', but that is exactly what you just did.

Did i ever mention other MD fans?

I specifically named CP.

Perhaps some reading comprehension is in order?

Not a bad loss for Duke...but end of the day you still got swept by an ACC team for the first time in 10 years, a team who's beaten you three times in a row.

You come on here claiming to give credit to Maryland where it's due...but in reality you give backhanded compliments.

You really are bitter, aren't you?

Not a bad loss for Duke...but end of the day you still got swept by an ACC team for the first time in 10 years, a team who's beaten you three times in a row.

You come on here claiming to give credit to Maryland where it's due...but in reality you give backhanded compliments.

Actually, i did not give credit to them at all for this win.

I did with the win at Duke and the ACC tourney win because they were wins i did not see them getting.

I saw them getting this win.

Oh and perhaps you should read the whole context of the post. Winning a regular season game against Duke is no reason to riot. Do you actually disagree with that?

Archived