Angelos interview in PressBox

FellsPointOsFan

Ditto here.....

I don't care if they have $140M to spend on payroll, I don't trust this franchise to spend it wisely. I can envision a roster full of past their prime veterans or "names" as Petey would maybe call them, guys who can help put butts in seats.

Since everyone's pimping their own signatures to show how "with it" they are...check out my signature. :D

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What everyone is missing in this (and most other) ticket price debates is that any smart business sets prices based on what will make them the most money. Yes, the Orioles could have faulty cost and revenue models, but the likely situation is that they think the current prices are what will maximize revenues (note: not necessarily attendance).

Ticket prices will only go up when there's reason to believe the demand will support it.

Isn't the problem though that if the goal is to make the most money putting a playoff team on the field might not be among the highest of priorities?

I have no basis of fact to base this on but my gut feeling tells me that I might maximize profits by putting an entertaining and somewhat competetive team but one w/not much of a chance at being a playoff contender on the field with a $50m payroll rather than trying to win a championship with a $100+m payroll

Isn't the problem though that if the goal is to make the most money putting a playoff team on the field might not be among the highest of priorities?

I have no basis of fact to base this on but my gut feeling tells me that I might maximize profits by putting an entertaining and somewhat competetive team but one w/not much of a chance at being a playoff contender on the field with a $50m payroll rather than trying to win a championship with a $100+m payroll

Ding, ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. (For bonus points, also, sprinkle in a few old "name" guys like Conine, Sosa, Palmeiro and Millar and you might give old Pete a run for his money)

It's an interesting theory, and I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but I can't help but believe that if you spend $100 million pretty wisely, the team will be good enough to sell out pretty much every night, not to mention better TV ratings, concessions, merchandise, and possible playoff revenue. This city is so starved for a winner, you know we will come out in droves to see a good team.

Although his quotes about ticket prices probably sound good to many, I think it's actually an indication that he's not a good businessman and takes his role as Robin Hood a little too seriously. He should be charging the maximum amount for his tickets that is supportable in a sound business model. If he did that and re-invested the money in the team, then the payroll would be much higher, higher quality product, more money, more wins, everyone is happy. If the O's were winning then he could easily charge more money per ticket (and will if they ever start winning).

Well, personally, I think he's just full of crap. He can leave ticket prices alone and still have more money available. The Red Sox charge so much for tickets because they can get away with it with their rabid fanbase.

The lack of high priced tickets isn't what prevents the Orioles from being able to spend. It's the lack of a huge fanbase (like all of New England, not to mention everyone across "Red Sox Nation") and a regional sports network, which we now have. MASN should generate tons of revenue for this club. Start spending like we can and we might get the huge fan base, too.

EDIT: Removed a paragraph because I realized I goofed and said something terribly stupid :P

Tony -- you have to add this one now, too:

;) Maybe you could shorten it to "And obviously, with that [MASN money] becoming available, [investing more money on the field is] exactly what we're going to do." That would make a nice trifecta sig block for you.

Witchy

Unfortunately, my sig line is full. Besides, I could write a book just from his various interviews.

The reason we're 1-12 this year versus Boston is because of their ticket prices? Or is it bad luck? "Don't let anyone tell you different.":cool:

Angelos, pick up your bass guitar and serenade us.

"With a little luck, we can help it out.

We can make this whole damn thing work out.

With a little love, we can lay it down.

Cant you feel the town exploding?

There is no end to what we can do together."

Good read, thanks for the link.

I want so hard to believe that this portends a change, but I am now from Missouri.

Is it interesting timing that he is sounding conciliatory and the "we're going to spend more" a week before the planned protest that likely puts a lot of light on the O's ownership?

A little pre-spin?

Well, personally, I think he's just full of crap. He can leave ticket prices alone and still have more money available. The Red Sox charge so much for tickets because they can get away with it with their rabid fanbase.

Say that the average price of tickets went up from $22 to $45 a la the Red Sox. That's an extra $23 per person at the ball yard. Pretend for a second our fanbase is as dedicated as those in Boston and we sell out every game of the year, that's about 45,000 seats. That translates into an increase of only $1,035,000 per season! For a sports team, that's chump change.

The lack of high priced tickets isn't what prevents the Orioles from being able to spend. It's the lack of a huge fanbase (like all of New England, not to mention everyone across "Red Sox Nation") and a regional sports network, which we now have. MASN should generate tons of revenue for this club. Start spending like we can and we might get the huge fan base, too.

And the truth is that we would have just as passionate and rabid a fanbase if there was ever any hope with the Orioles. That hope just does not exist and it all comes back to one person and one person only. My biggest gripe with the whole interview is that Pete seems to impart some blame on the fans for not supporting the team as rabidly as the Red Sox fans. It is his fault for driving this team into the ground, not ours! The reason they have such a passionate and rabid fanbase starts is because of good ownership and a shrewd front office.

So incredibly frustrating.

This is the best Angelos interview I've ever read, he goes into detail on how little he impacts the decisions in the FO.

And you people still are saying bullcrap, hes a liar, this that and the other. You all have your scapegoat and you are hellbent on this guy being the devil.

The article is amazing, I know alot more about Angelos now than I ever did. He said plain as day our payroll will probably jump to 110 million or over. Minus the salaries we will be losing its going to be more than a 40+ million increase in payroll.

The interview opened my eyes alot about the guy, he isnt nearly as bad as everyone is making him out to be.

It takes alot of guts to take an interview like that and tell the truth, and if he did, I have alot of respect for Peter Angelos.

Say that the average price of tickets went up from $22 to $45 a la the Red Sox. That's an extra $23 per person at the ball yard. Pretend for a second our fanbase is as dedicated as those in Boston and we sell out every game of the year, that's about 45,000 seats. That translates into an increase of only $1,035,000 per season! For a sports team, that's chump change.

Your math is faulty. Depending upon how many people you can convince to buy the tickets it'd be an increase in revenues in the 10's of millions.

$45 (ticket) x 45,000 (seats) x 81 (games) = $164,025,000

$22 (ticket) x 45,000 (seats) x 81 (games) = $80,190,000

That's and increase of $83,835,000 per season!

I think your math is faulty. That's a $1.035 million increase per game. $83.835 million for the season. And that's not chump change. ;)

Witchy

This is the best Angelos interview I've ever read, he goes into detail on how little he impacts the decisions in the FO.

And you people still are saying bullcrap, hes a liar, this that and the other. You all have your scapegoat and you are hellbent on this guy being the devil.

The article is amazing, I know alot more about Angelos now than I ever did. He said plain as day our payroll will probably jump to 110 million or over. Minus the salaries we will be losing its going to be more than a 40+ million increase in payroll.

The interview opened my eyes alot about the guy, he isnt nearly as bad as everyone is making him out to be.

It takes alot of guts to take an interview like that and tell the truth, and if he did, I have alot of respect for Peter Angelos.

Is this a joke? Would you like me to point out the things I know for a fact to be outright lies? It doesn't take guts to cover your own butt with lies. Get a grip.

Ha, to me, the most offensive thing to me in this interview was his piss-poor recalling of Game 6 in 1997. The Indians did not score until extra innings, so the Orioles did not need one to tie and two to win throughout the game, as PA implies. He acts like Mussina gave up the run in the first, yet he's the one who called it the greatest game he's ever seen pitched. Anyone else find this odd?

Also, who are these people in Maryland complaining that the Orioles are mentioning Baltimore too much? In the dimension I live in, the Orioles don't mention Baltimore ever. (I actually heard Buck Martinez refer to the team as "Baltimore" on the air a few days ago and I almost fell out of my chair. I'm sure the situation was "dealt with" after the game. Nice knowin' ya, Buck)

Thirdly, ticket prices are such a freaking drop in the bucket compared with TV, that it's pretty sleazy to act like we, the fans, selfishly enjoying our low ticket prices, are hurting the Orioles by limiting payroll. All owners do this in some form or another, that is, make ticket prices seem like a variable that is inextricably linked to payroll when they are certainly not, so I won't begrudge him this too much, but still: we know better.

Archived