Worst trade ever

RShack

Man, youtube has everything. Here's a little bit of Mr. Mathewson throwing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mASnW4YVXU

Not even to add to the thread....

I'll see your "Christian Gentleman" and raise you a "Big Train". I love the way Johnson "slings" the ball. Have since I first saw it! His arm looks 6 feet long. His hand looks like it's a square foot around. Just the coolest, nastiest pitching motion I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eN7phUZN4k&feature=related

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to throw a monkey wrench into this thread Shack started it... :P

Here is THE Play! Watch the whole vid, it is like The Bible... but go to 8:10, 8:15 ish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsvHh2U7pfA

The 2-2 to May. Swing, ground ball, third-base side. Brooks Robinson's got it, throwing from foul ground toward first base. It is ... IN TIME!

Just.... :eek:

Bob Costas for Commisioner btw. Bob Costas for President! :P

Slightly off base on this but a NHL trade between Quebec Nordiques and Philadelphia Flyers in 1992:

Eric Londros for Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Philadelphia's 1993 1st round draft choice, Philadelphia's 1994 1st round draft choice and $15,000,000.

For many who do not follow NHL, Quebec moved to Denver to become Colorado Avalanche and won two Stanley Cups.

Another bad trade is a 1989 NFL trade between Dallas Cowboys and Minnesota Vikings:

Minnesota Vikings Received:

RB Herschel Walker

Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)

San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)

Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)

Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Dallas Cowboys Received:

LB Jesse Solomon

LB David Howard

CB Issiac Holt

RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)

DE Alex Stewart

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (Emmitt Smith)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)

Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (11) (Pat Harlow)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Darryll Lewis)

Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (40) (traded to Kansas City, who drafted Matt Blundin)

Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)

Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

Darren Woodson and Russell Maryland became two of these picks.

People know what happened with the Cowboys after this trade. I know people are still sour about Glen Davis Trade (I still think about it), but I believe these two trade trumps anything that the Orioles has ever done.

Not even to add to the thread....

I'll see your "Christian Gentleman" and raise you a "Big Train". I love the way Johnson "slings" the ball. Have since I first saw it! His arm looks 6 feet long. His hand looks like it's a square foot around. Just the coolest, nastiest pitching motion I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eN7phUZN4k&feature=related

Yeah, but can you explain how he was supposed to have thrown very hard with a motion like that? I can see it with Mathewson, because he had a nice overhand fluid motion.. With Johnson, I can't see it.

Yeah, but can you explain how he was supposed to have thrown very hard with a motion like that? I can see it with Mathewson, because he had a nice overhand fluid motion.. With Johnson, I can't see it.

Is what I always wondered. Johnson was supposed to be THE hardest thrower of his time, maybe all time. I guess it's in the odd whipping motion. And like I said, his arm looks very long.

Plus, in pitching, or hitting a ball, baseball or golf, it's the guys with the easy fluid motion that throw the hardest. If you try to throw or swing hard, you end up with wasted motion. I'm thinking of Fred Couples here. He looks so easy and smooth. Like he's taking a half swing. And in his time he hit it as far as anyone.

Don't remember if it has been mentioned. I forget the particulars... how about the trade that brought us Flanny and Dempsey (and MacGregor too?) et al from the Yanks for.... drivel.

That was Dempsey, MacGregor and Martinez for Doyle Alexander and others.

From Dempsey's BaseballReference.com page...

June 15, 1976: Traded by the New York Yankees with Tippy Martinez, Rudy May, Scott McGregor, and Dave Pagan to the Baltimore Orioles for Ken Holtzman, Doyle Alexander, Grant Jackson, Ellie Hendricks, and Jimmy Freeman.

I've got my ideas about this but what are yours? It doesn't have to involve the O's, it can be anybody. So, according to you, what's the worst trade ever?

The following come to my mind, in order of significance:

1. Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi.

2. Mike Torrez and Ken Singleton for Dave Mcnally and Rich Coggins.

3. Amos Otis for Joe Foy.

Archived