Tatum Claimed

Richmond Bird 9

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems odd. There's no reason for him to have been removed from the 40-man at this stage. That comes several weeks from now.

I don't think it is an odd time to make the move, but I do think it is kind of odd to wiave Tatum without another backup catcher on the 40 man roster. Tatum was adequate and cheap. He had about 2 years of service time and wasn't being paid much over the $414K minimum. Now the O's may have to pay more for the back up. Buck must have really not liked the way he played.

As far as Joseph goes, I hope he is placed on the 40 man roster, but I doubt he is ready for the majors. He has not played a day at AAA yet. Maybe by mid season next year if he does well at Norfolk.

I'd seriously consider going with Joseph next year.
I don't think it is a odd time to make the move, but I do think it is kind of odd to wiave Tatum without another backup catcher on the 40 man roster. Tatum was adequate and cheap. He had about 2 years of service time and wasn't being paid much over the $414K minimum. Now the O's may have to pay more for the back up.

Buck must have really not liked the way he played.

As far as Joseph goes, I hope he is placed on the 40 man roster, but I doubt he is ready for the majors. He has not played a day at AAA yet. Maybe mid season next year if he does well at Norfolk.

This is a very slow time table for a guy with two full years in at AA and expectations of 120 ABs. I would rather him there if they are using him like they did Tatum. We would need AAA depth, but I think he should be able to handle a once a week job.

This is a very slow time table for a guy with two full years in at AA and expectations of 120 ABs. I would rather him there if they are using him like they did Tatum. We would need AAA depth, but I think he should be able to handle a once a week job.

The thing is there is no way to know if he can make the jump to the majors from AA. Its a big jump. I doubt that is what Buck is thinking. He is probably thinking of picking up a backup catcher with ML experience. Joseph has a good arm and he hits AA righthanded pitching for a good OBP but that does mean he will do that a AAA or the ML. At any rate I hope they put Joseph on the 40 man roster.

I agree. He'll be 26 next year. Time to see what he's got.

Back-up catchers suck across the board anyway. Just get a decent defensive guy and start them on Sundays and weekday day games.

I agree. He'll be 26 next year. Time to see what he's got.

Back-up catchers suck across the board anyway. Just get a decent defensive guy and start them on Sundays and weekday day games.

Maybe, and maybe Buck sees that Wieters would be a bigger offensive force all year long if he didn't catch so many games when it is hot. Buck may want a backup catcher that can play as bigger role and allow Wieters to DH some. That would not be Joseph.

Maybe, and maybe Buck sees that Wieters would be a bigger offensive force all year long if he didn't catch so many games when it is hot. Buck may want a backup catcher that can play as bigger role and allow Wieters to DH some. That would not be Joseph.

Yeah, I guess. I just don't see BU catcher as being a huge priority for the Orioles right now.

I don't think it is an odd time to make the move, but I do think it is kind of odd to wiave Tatum without another backup catcher on the 40 man roster. Tatum was adequate and cheap. He had about 2 years of service time and wasn't being paid much over the $414K minimum. Now the O's may have to pay more for the back up. Buck must have really not liked the way he played.

As far as Joseph goes, I hope he is placed on the 40 man roster, but I doubt he is ready for the majors. He has not played a day at AAA yet. Maybe by mid season next year if he does well at Norfolk.

I doubt Joseph is ready, and my guess is that Buck wants an upgrade from Tatum at this spot. He is basically a replacement-level catcher. There were 55 catchers in MLB last year who had 80+ PA and a higher fWAR than Tatum's -0.1. Here's a list of potential free agents from Cot's and their fWAR for 2011 (might include some who are now off the market):

Rod Barajas LAD +1.3

Henry Blanco ARI +1.2

Ramon Castro CWS +0.4

Ryan Doumit PIT + 1.8

Ramon Hernandez CIN +2.0

Jason Kendall KC (retired?)

Gerald Laird STL +0.1

Jose Molina TOR +1.3

Yadier Molina STL * +4.1

Dioner Navarro LAD -0.1

Jorge Posada NYY -0.4

Ivan Rodriguez WAS +0.4

Brian Schneider PHI -0.9

Kelly Shoppach TB * +1.1

Chris Snyder PIT * +0.7

Matt Treanor KC +0.7

Jason Varitek BOS +0.5

* team option

Yeah, I guess. I just don't see BU catcher as being a huge priority for the Orioles right now.

Look at Wieters in the cooler month, April, August( the weather cooled early this year) and September. Wieters could be the O's clean up hitter if he gets enough rest in hot weather. He hit 16 of his homers in those months. A better backup catcher could help Wieters a lot offensively.

Look at Wieters in the cooler month, April, August( the weather cooled early this year) and September. Wieters could be the O's clean up hitter if he gets enough rest in hot weather. He hit 16 of his homers in those months. A better backup catcher could help Wieters a lot offensively.

I wouldn't go so far with your hot weather/cold weather theory. There is no way May was a warmer month than August. That said, I do agree that fewer days behind the plate might benefit Wieters' bat.

Archived