Tatum Claimed

Richmond Bird 9

Name one. Who is your pick?

I don't have one. I don't have the knowledge of every free agent and AA and AAA catchers' defense to make a good call. All I know is that there are 15 or 20 major league free agent catchers and probably an equal number of minor league free agents to go along with a dozen or more guys who'll be squeezed when spring training cuts start to happen, so I have faith that even a chaotic, inept major league organization can find someone equal to or better than Tatum.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have one. I don't have the knowledge of every free agent and AA and AAA catchers' defense to make a good call. All I know is that there are 15 or 20 major league free agent catchers and probably an equal number of minor league free agents to go along with a dozen or more guys who'll be squeezed when spring training cuts start to happen, so I have faith that even a chaotic, inept major league organization can find someone equal to or better than Tatum.

As I said before I want Tatum replaced. But the question is what will the cost be for a better catcher? Most of the good catching prospect are going to be protected by their clubs. That means a trade. What do the O's have to give up? Is the resource better used in a deal for pitching?

Most of the unprotected catchers are 1) free agents that are going to cost more in salary or 2) are not as good as Tatum.

So though I do want Tatum replaced, I think hanging on to him until a better replacement was found might have been a smarter move.

I would go hard for Ryan Doumit as DH and someone that can backup at C / 1B / LF-RF. I would offer a 2 yr contract with a club option for the third yr.

My main concern is that Matt Wieters (Scott Boras client) will not be here for his 6 years. Doumit would at least give a useable catcher until a better catcher can be brought in.

I would go hard for Ryan Doumit as DH and someone that can backup at C / 1B / LF-RF. I would offer a 2 yr contract with a club option for the third yr.

My main concern is that Matt Wieters (Scott Boras client) will not be here for his 6 years. Doumit would at least give a useable catcher until a better catcher can be brought in.

If Mike Fast's data is correct then Doumit costs his team 26 runs/120 games due to his lack of ability to frame pitches.

O's control Wieters for 7 years not 6.

As I said before I want Tatum replaced. But the question is what will the cost be for a better catcher? Most of the good catching prospect are going to be protected by their clubs. That means a trade. What do the O's have to give up? Is the resource better used in a deal for pitching?

The O's have three choices:

1. Go for someone who is a clear upgrade, who will cost a little more money. In that event, I think you have to look for a way to give that player more playing time than Tatum got last year. There are several free agents who fit the bill.

2. Go for someone outside the organization who is basically another Tatum -- a guy on the AAA/major league cusp. I can't name these guys, but there are always a number of them around.

3. Promote someone from our own AAA or AA team.

Not very worried about it. As I said, Tatum is the very definition of a replacement-level player.

The O's have three choices:

1. Go for someone who is a clear upgrade, who will cost a little more money. In that event, I think you have to look for a way to give that player more playing time than Tatum got last year. There are several free agents who fit the bill.

2. Go for someone outside the organization who is basically another Tatum -- a guy on the AAA/major league cusp. I can't name these guys, but there are always a number of them around.

3. Promote someone from our own AAA or AA team.

Not very worried about it. As I said, Tatum is the very definition of a replacement-level player.

I didn't say it was something to worry about, just that it would have been smarter to keep Tatum until they had a replacement. There is really no down side to that approach.

In #1 you say there are several FAs that would fit the bill. Who would that be?

I didn't say it was something to worry about, just that it would have been smarter to keep Tatum until they had a replacement. There is really no down side to that approach.

Castro, Treanor, Navarro or Blanco, for example. Maybe Shoppach if the Rays don't pick up his option, which I bet they don't.

I am not defending Tatum. I think the O's should replace him. However, they do have to understand who they are, where they are and what that means.

1. The O's are close to the last place that a FA wants to go because of 14 years of losing.

2. Tatum is paid close to the minimum of 414k.

3. Tatum is under 30 and has a decent arm.

4. The O's have many needs more important than upgrading catcher like adding three pitchers, a better 3rd baseman, and adding a DH. That will take most of the money they have to spend.

5. The O's have a limited budget.

6. The O's don't have that much to trade without creating other holes in the lineup or pitching staff.

7. There are plenty of other ways to make room on the 40 man roster. izturis and Vlad are FA. Viola nd VandenHurk can be released.

So under those conditions what is the hurry to get Tatum off the roster? Why not wait until a replacement is acquired? Say it costs $1.5M for a better backup catcher. Does that mean they can't do something else they need to do? There is no way to know how the off season plays out at this point. All I am saying is they could have waited on waiving Tatum.

So tell me. Who are the O's going to get to be their backup catcher for 414K that is as good as Tatum? Its probably going to cost something more. How much more is a question. That is why Houston claimed him.

The Orioles could add Hester or Joseph to the 40 man roster to protect them from the 40 man roster if they wanted to and there you go.

When you remove a person from the roster at this point in the off-season it is almost like a courtesy to allow them to become a free agent, assuming they aren't claimed.

Even without Tatum, the Orioles still have Hester, Ward, and Joseph that could all probably replicate what Tatum did this year.

Even without Tatum, the Orioles still have Hester, Ward, and Joseph that could all probably replicate what Tatum did this year.

I don't think adding any of those guys will help the major league club at this point. If they want to be able to rest Wieters more or put him at DH more then they need someone to backup at catcher that will allow Buck to feel like it is not so much of a downgrade.

Keeping Tatum would only be a precaution until the O's find someone better, The last thing the O's need is someone of equal or less talent then Tatum. Or someone that is only marginally better but cost much more. That would not improve the club.

That said I think adding Joseph to the 40 man roster may help the O's by late next year or in 2013. Emphasis on the 'may',

I don't think adding any of those guys will help the major league club at this point. If they want to be able to rest Wieters more or put him at DH more then they need someone to backup at catcher that will allow Buck to feel like it is not so much of a downgrade.

Keeping Tatum would only be a precaution until the O's find someone better, The last thing the O's need is someone of equal or less talent then Tatum. Or someone that is only marginally better but cost much more. That would not improve the club.

That said I think adding Joseph to the 40 man roster may help the O's by late next year or in 2013. Emphasis on the 'may',

And neither did Tatum, so whats the point of all of this?

You are making much ado about nothing. The Orioles removed fringe players from the roster - Accardo, Jaku, Fox, and Tatum. None of them are good at the major league level. Now, of the course the Orioles will lose Izturis and Vlad to free agency, and Eyre, Rapada, Reyes, VDH, Viola, Bell, Florimon, Snyder, and Hudson are all candidates to come off the 40 man roster at some point, but the Orioles simply deemed those four more dispensable than the others.

And lets not forget that we claimed Tatum from the Reds in similar fashion a few years back. They were trying to sneak him off their 40 man roster and the Orioles claimed him.

Archived