Suspension to win ratio now at 3:1

JohnD

Some words from Tyler and Mcree, courtesy of Testudo Times, courtesy of The Diamondback :):

Perhaps it's fitting, then, that the pair that's been inseparable over the past five years was once again together on that fateful night in September. They were in front of 7-Eleven on Knox Road after their 11 p.m. curfew when Tyler became involved in an altercation with a non-student that ended with him striking the 33-year-old man and fleeing from police before being arrested on the campus.

When Edsall announced the following day that the pair would be suspended indefinitely, Tyler admitted they worried their careers in College Park may be over.

"When it first happened, I thought I was done," Tyler said. "I'm grateful he gave me another opportunity to play. Of course, I [have my regrets]. The main regret is [Edsall] had a curfew set for us every night ? and I was out after 11. To a certain extent, I knew I let my teammates down. I feel like I disrespected the reputation of a Maryland player and I apologize for that, but mistakes are mistakes."

Said McCree: "You just have to make the right decisions, that's it. That's what I learned from it. That was probably the turning point of the decisions in my life. You've got to really control your actions and what you do and since then, everything's been straight for me."

That jerk Edsall.

Some words from Tyler and Mcree, courtesy of Testudo Times, courtesy of The Diamondback :):

That jerk Edsall.

So what did McCree do, besides stand there?

Obviously I used some sarcasm in my first post. We don't know what Mackall did, and maybe it was serious. But it's still three suspensions for every win. And when the best you can say about Edsall is that he'll punish his players...

So what did McCree do, besides stand there?

Obviously I used some sarcasm in my first post. We don't know what Mackall did, and maybe it was serious. But it's still three suspensions for every win. And when the best you can say about Edsall is that he'll punish his players...

Ah, he even says it was the curfew that got him in hot water. From what is reported there really is no issue with what happened that can be leveled against Edsell. He held the players accountable and let them work their way back into the fold. What was he suppose to do????

But it's still three suspensions for every win.

So what? If 6 players screw up, 6 players should get punished accordingly. If 50 players screw up, then 50 players should be punished.

Regarding the record, it is what it is. Yeah, last year's team won 9 games, but that was due in no small part to an extremely soft schedule, particularly in conference. Of course, the year before the team won 2 games.

It's not a good team, particularly at the critical Oline and Dline positions.

So what? If 6 players screw up, 6 players should get punished accordingly. If 50 players screw up, then 50 players should be punished.

Regarding the record, it is what it is. Yeah, last year's team won 9 games, but that was due in no small part to an extremely soft schedule, particularly in conference. Of course, the year before the team won 2 games.

It's not a good team, particularly at the critical Oline and Dline positions.

Mackall violated a University Policy. I have no idea what it was, but how is this Edsall's fault?

Same thing is happening with the Women's BB program, which is ranked #11 in the nation right now. These things happen. I have heard on many occasions from Keith Cavanaugh that Fridge's program was getting really loose with academics and school policy. Now we have a guy that comes in here strong in both, along with recruiting, and we want to start complaining because he is trying to change the culture?

Maybe this should be more about how Fridge let this program get out of control, and Edsall is sitting here being the scapegoat.

Strong in recruiting? Right now Scout.com has Maryland ahead of only Dook and Wake Forest. Rivals.com has Maryland ahead of only Wake Forest. That's hardly inspiring. And again, it's just frustrating that the best news we have is that Edsall is a disciplinarian. And all that discipline isn't doing anything to play well. They've still been pounded, at home, by such greats as Temple and Boston College, and were noticeably outplayed by Towson.

If Mackall violated University Policy, then I'm ok with this. I just wish this wasn't the "best" news surrounding the program.

Maybe this should be more about how Fridge let this program get out of control

I ABSOLUTELY think that's what it should be about.

It's not that I don't thnk some of the criticism isn't warranted, it's just gotten out of hand IMO. Everything he says or does is criticized, even though IMO a lot of times he's right.

I wish the team were better too, but it's tough to win when your defensive line is getting pushed back 2-3 yards each play against Temple and BC.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this one...

According to a comment post at Testudo Times, Mackall was late for multiple team meetings (including one on game day according to Birds of B'more's post above), and when he was told he was suspended for a game, cursed out the coaches.

Obviously, take that for whatever you think it's worth.

It definitely sounds to me like we've seen the last of Mackall in a Terps uni.

Well, I guess everyone knows who the new sheriff is in town by now. That's all well and good, but he needs to improve the recruiting and get some wins under his belt over the next few years or this will all by for naught.

I keep reminding myself, sometimes you need to tear it all down in order to rebuild it better than before. Let's hope he's the man to help rebuild it into something better because he's not going anywhere anytime soon with that contract and the Maryland athletic department's financial woes.

Archived