Rosenthal: Duquette to interview Friday

Birds of B'more

Duquette wouldn't be any worse than MacPhail. He probably wouldn't be any better either. Sadly, the Orioles need someone with either a name or previous experience, someone Angelos will have confidence in and not meddle with. That rules out all of these assistant GM's who are wisely taking their names out of consideration. There is no chance any of them would succeed under Angelos.

I think it will be either Duquette or Baird.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Duquette is clearly the most likely hire at this point. He'd have to butcher his interview today to not get the job. These things about people in the organization that are untouchable will not phase him because he's been out of baseball for 10 years and doesn't have a crew that he wants to take with him in support roles. He's also been out of baseball for 10 years so any GM job is good enough for him. And he has enough experience where Angelos will consider him as an established and respectable hire who he can sell as a great get...and try to save face. Duquette also has Jim to coach him on how to handle Angelos in the interview process. And another plus for him in Angelos's eyes is that he will commit to taking the job immediately..,thus saving him from another embarrassing rejection.

I consider this virtually a done deal.

What Peter should do is hire Duquette as President of Ops... then have Duquette hire the General Manager. At least incoming candidates can tell their colleagues: "Hey, I wouldn't even consider it if I had to report directly to PA... but Dan's a good baseball man. I think we can make it work."

But of course, I'm smoking crack. This would actually make too much sense for us to do it. Let's make Duquette Vice President of Baseball Activities and Marketing, and partner him up with John Stockstill, who can be the other vice president of something. And then Buck can run personnel and manage the team, leaving the vice presidents to do what VP's often do... move papers around.

I'd love to find someone "in the know" but my earlier comment about Duquette being blacklisted got me thinking. He was one of the best in the game, was good at drafting young talent, was good at developing talent, made excellent trades and even got FA to sign with him easily. So why hasn't he had a job since the new owner group came in and fired him.

Clemens hates him, that's for sure, but I can't help but wonder if he knew all about the guys using PEDs while in BOS and he ignored it and people know that. It's kind of a reach, but I can't imagine what else would keep him out of discussion for this long. There is definitely SOMETHING to it, I just wished I knew what it was before I felt ok about him working for the O's.

What worries me about a guy like Duquette who's been out of the game for 10 years is that he will have little knowledge of the young players in various systems.

Are you kidding? He's been developing talent for the last 10 years. He has a direct pipeline to the 7-14 age group :wedge:

Of the people left,Oppenhiemer has a good record with the minors and talent evaluation. Oppenhiemer has knowledge of the minors. Duquette will need Buck to lead him this year. Oh, that was going to happen anyway. I think the Yanks give him permission to interview since he interviewed with the Angels. The question is does he want to interview? Come on down your the next contestant on "Wheel of Torture". The O's want him to interview this weekend. Another poster said the O's should advertise the job in the Pennysaver.

What worries me about a guy like Duquette who's been out of the game for 10 years is that he will have little knowledge of the young players in various systems.

That's ok, Buck will tell him what players he and Angelos have already agreed on. Duquette is only there to make it look like the O's don't have the most bizarre organization in MLB.

They ignore it in Toronto and no one blackballs anyone.

Yeah I don't know what it's all about, but SOMETHING happened that I wish I knew. Good GMs don't just disappear for 10 years without so much as an interview, shoot, BAD GMs get interviews more often than that.

Archived