New names on O's GM wishlist include Billy Eppler, David Forst, Thad Levine, etc.

ChaosLex

In all seriousness, after DiPoto and Watson withdrew and LaCava turned down Angelos, how could anyone with any self-respect take the O's job? Whomever accepts is essentially saying "I'm fine with being Peter Angelos' puppet and working for a team that is doomed to finish last." Awesome. Sign me up.

This is a valid thought. I wonder if the Orioles (PA) will be aware that what they asked of TLC cost them a chance at getting a highly regarded GM candidate, and now they will be willing to offer more flexibility to future candidates. I doubt it, but most people do tend to learn from previous mistakes.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately, another possibility is that Angelos may just quickly hire another lesser candidate to avoid any more rejection/national humiliation.

Agreed. While repeated rejections might wear on Angelos over time, I highly doubt he'll actually let it get to that point.

This is a valid thought. I wonder if the Orioles (PA) will be aware that what they asked of TLC cost them a chance at getting a highly regarded GM candidate, and now they will be willing to offer more flexibility to future candidates. I doubt it, but most people do tend to learn from previous mistakes.

PGA - "I thought I made a mistake once...but I was wrong".

I picture the conversations in the warehouse going something like this except insert O's management and general manager:

Rachel Phelps: The fact of the matter is, we have lost 2 of our best players to free agency. We haven't won a pennant in over 30 years, we haven't finished higher than 4th in the last 15. Obviously, we need some changes.

Board Member #2: This guy here is dead.

Rachel Phelps: [obviously...] Cross him off then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lou: [answering the phone] Tire World.

Charlie: Lou, it's Charlie Donovan from Cleveland. How would you like to manage the Indians this year?

Lou: Gee, I don't know...

Charlie: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to manage in the big leagues.

Lou: Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls. I'll talk to ya later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Orioles still intend to contact the Rangers about Thad Levine and A.J. Preller." - Roch

As my dad used to say, "crap, or get off the pot, already." What is the delay in contacting the Rangers?

Don't blame the Os. Rumor has it, the carrier pigeons are all unionized these days and won't fly more than 40 hours a week.

How about we just let the season start and tell fans that on any given night they can be selected as the GM for an evening. Angelos would have control over the GM and the GM would never be able to develop relationship quickly enough to actually complete a deal if one was identified. Angelos would need to sleep on it and by the time he made a decision a new GM would be in place so the issue would be moot.

The Orioles received a call from Hoover today as they were interested in purchasing stock in the fading franchise. When approached about the reasoning behind such a deal the Hoover CEO had this to say "My Father once told me to take additional interest in anything that sucked greater than our products. I never thought that day would come, but I suppose that sucking almost as great as the Orioles is a real accomplishment."

Allard Baird has been granted permission to interview.

That's too awesome to even put into words.

Baird traded Mark Ellis and Johnny Damon for Angel Berroa, AJ Hinch, and Roberto Hernandez.

He traded Carlos Beltran for Mark Teahen and John Buck.

He traded Jermaine Dye for Neifi Perez.

That a great record, trading four all stars, two of whom are at least borderline HOFers, for a handful of league average seasons and the vortex of suck that was Neifi Perez.

His Royals teams lost at least 97 games in five of six years he was with the team (not counting his first half-season in 2000).

Do you think when he's hired we can get Buck to groom Buddy Bell to be his eventual successor?

Archived