O's, Duquette close to deal

mrr185

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most interesting think about this development is Duke has been pretty vocal in is slamming PA and the disfunction of the warehouse. He has had some negative stuff to say about Roberts also since he left. If nothing else it could end up being interesting to watch.

10 years is an awful long hiatus, but I generally like the hire (if it happens). A bright young executive would never work out under Angelos.....he just wouldn't cede enough power to someone he didn't consider well seasoned. Duquette strikes me as slightly off target for Angelos because he is much more likely to push back than Angelos would like. But that's a good thing for the Orioles IMO. On the down side, there are now three strong an stubborn personalities at the top of the pyramid. Duquette has proven to be willing to take risks and be aggressive. He'll need to be. He also has a lot of work to do learning the players. His biggest challenge outside of working with Angelos will be changing perceptions about the team, when he himself has to re-establish credibility. Hope he likes a challenge.

That's a great point.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Dan_Duquette

He's a guy who always seems to make big trades and sign a lot of free agents.

Back then, he had an owner who let him do that.

Like MacPhail before him, his list of achievements is a bit dated. We all know how it worked out with Andy. The fact that the Angels pulled Duke2 out of retirement to interview is being built up as some resume enhancer.

For the Orioles sake, I hope he still has something left in the gas tank.

The question is, if the offseason is less than solid, is that an indication of him, or the fact that he hit the ground running late in the game?

Ahhh, the Notebook, I get misty-eyed just thinking about it....

Re: Duquette, whatever. Nothing will change until we have a guy that can call his own shots. Pissed this all took so long. Pissed we have such a terrible organization. Pissed we didn't get a young guy who is absolutely committed to scouting and development (even if winning would have been a long way away with a guy like LaCava, the DevilRay/BlueJay model is what is necessary to compete with Spanks & Sux).

Sure, Duquette is qualified. Sure he has had some success in the past. Didn't McPhail? I think Duquette will make some moves, but I don't think he's capable of righting the ship.

The most interesting think about this development is Duke has been pretty vocal in is slamming PA and the disfunction of the warehouse. He has had some negative stuff to say about Roberts also since he left. If nothing else it could end up being interesting to watch.

I feel like the O's are "settling" for 10th best... Of course it's PA's fault, but I can't find much to be optimistic about other than this above quoted post. If DD is coming into this dysfunctional warehouse with his eyes wide open... I hope he is taking this job in an effort to confront PA's lethargic decision-making and try to bring about change and make a difference. IF that statement is true, I applaud it, but I still have little hope that DD and Buck can do much to bring the Orioles back to baseball prominence.

I'm just happy that someone with Duquette's credential wants to work for Angelos. I'll take a wait and see approach until I hear under what conditions he's taking the job.

I agree at this point but I also felt the same way about McPhail!

Archived