Dubroff: Orioles want Fielder "badly"

JTrea81

Some people seem to forget who owns this team. Fielder is represented by Boras and is making 15.500.000 this year alone. He will be seeking a long term contract for more than 20.000.000 a year. Angelos has never paid more than 14 mil a year, it will be a cold day in heaven before Fielder will come to Baltimore.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you aren't going to sign Darvish, then I would much rather spend on Fielder than anything else....but the contract it will take to get him here will be more than the Orioles want to pay IMO.
It depends on how Fielders market develops. There are no teams with a crying need for him. A number of teams including the O would like him at a reasonable cost, say 5/125 M. if the money stays in that area then a 6/150 offer could do it. I don't see the O's going higher than that, unless the Gnats are the competition. I have a hard time seeing PA allowing them to land such a big prize unopposed.

It depends on how Fielders market develops. There are no teams with a crying need for him. A number of teams including the O would like him at a reasonable cost, say 5/125 M. if the money stays in that area then a 6/150 offer could do it. I don't see the O's going higher than that, unless the Gnats are the competition. I have a hard time seeing PA allowing them to land such a big prize unopposed.
The Nats and Rangers are likely going to go hard after him.

If the Orioles truly want to get involved in this, then I believe those 2 teams, along with Seattle and maybe SF, will be the biggest competition.

But, as Connolly said the other day, PA isn't enamored with these huge long term deals and he likely isn't going to be convinced to be when we are talking about a guy with Fielder's body type.

The years are the huge issue and I think it will take a minimum of 7 years to get Fielder here.

awww yeah, bay-beh

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2C2W_O9BX4g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What? No love for this version?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q0GKiNp9-Bk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

*runs and hides*

The Nats and Rangers are likely going to go hard after him.

If the Orioles truly want to get involved in this, then I believe those 2 teams, along with Seattle and maybe SF, will be the biggest competition.

But, as Connolly said the other day, PA isn't enamored with these huge long term deals and he likely isn't going to be convinced to be when we are talking about a guy with Fielder's body type.

The years are the huge issue and I think it will take a minimum of 7 years to get Fielder here.

I think Seattle is a top competiter for him. They could improve a lot in their division by adding his offense. I question Texas. They should be focusing on improving their SP, and they would have to move Young to keep Fielder at 1B. I don't see SF going after him, they need a SS and an OF. The Gnats are unpredictable and could be in on Prince big time. But if I were a GM for any of these teams I would start with a low bid in terms of years. All of those clubs have good reasons not to sign him, and cheaper alternatives. I think the Prince FA will go well into Jan. with Boras trying to up the price.

I think the Fielder negotiations could go a lot like Vlad (the first time around). The O's or Nats or someone like that could have the high bid for quite a while, but as soon as a good, winning organization bids one dollar more he's signing. Now, that could be the Nats, as their baseline performance and distance to compete are more favorable than the O's.

But the only way I see him signing with the O's is for a contract that's so over the top it'll completely crush their faint hopes of acquiring the other ~15-20 wins on top of Fielder they need to compete.

Archived