Dubroff: Orioles want Fielder "badly"

JTrea81

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This approach alone will take another 5-10 years.

Yes it might and people should at least acknowledge that just as those realize a win now approach may not work either.

At least with a win now approach, the team is actually making aggressive moves to win, and will provide entertainment regardless.

Who would want to watch a last place team for 5-10 years even if they did make the playoffs at the end of that period?

Who will be left to watch that team?

Yes it might and people should at least acknowledge that just as those realize a win now approach may not work either.

At least with a win now approach, the team is actually making aggressive moves to win, and will provide entertainment regardless.

Who would want to watch a last place team for 5-10 years even if they did make the playoffs at the end of that period?

Who will be left to watch that team?

But what you don't get is there is no such thing as a win NOW approach. This team can't win NOW.

This approach alone will take another 5-10 years.

No this is the only approach, and if it takes 5 years then so be it. You don't go spend money on a FA's to become a contender, you need a good young core first. Maybe if you were in the NL west, then sure, go after some free agents and get into the playoffs with a mediocre team, but we're competing against the Yankees and Red Sox, and we sure are not going to have a 200 million dollar payroll. Our farm system is horrible and what do good young players do we have in the majors? Matusz? The Jays have Rasmus, escobar, romero, lawrie the list goes on, and they have a top 5 farm system. They'll be competing for the playoffs in a couple of years and we'll still be in the gutters unless we start a proper rebuild now.

Yes they can with the proper supplemented talent. And it won't take a $150 million dollar payroll to get there.
Please give us an example of what could be done this offseason to contend, and don't go over 120M. Even though 120M is not realistic.

Friendly reminder. I'd like to see this.

No it won't and if you believe that, you just don't understand the approach itself.

No disrespect SG ....But Angelos will have to buy in to the increased scouting,international free agent bidding, signing bonuses, and seriously improve our player development staff. This wont happen in a year or two especially the later. And that after Angelos does buy in which he will have to give some deep thought that no doubt will take a long time. Then they will have to get the talent in the system and through it. I give it a 5 year minimum.

In due time...

I want to see it too and it can not center around what you would give up/receive in a made up trade that probably wouldn't even be available if our GM made the call and offered the given package. Tell us how you would "Supplement" our current roster of young players via free agency. You would need to build a roster in the $105M range and not the $120M-$150M payroll that we all dream about.

I thhink that Wieters, Jones, Hardy, Reynolds (At DH), Markakis, Roberts (Healthy), Guthrie and Jim Johnson are championship quality players IMO. Guys like Strop, Reimold, Britton and Gregg maybe good enough to contribute on championship teams, but I really do think that we need at least 3/5's of a starting rotation.

For the record, here is my plan.

SP to add:

Edwin Jackson

Mark Buehrle

* If we can not fill two rotation spots with Britton, Matusz, Arrieta, Bergy or Tillman than we have real issues.

IF:

Prince Fielder (1B)

A. Ramirez (3B)

OF:

Sizemore/Damon/DeJesus (LF)

*Reynolds gets moved to DH to maximize his offensive value.

RP:

* I am not spending big on relief pitching, but we should sign a couple on decent one year contracts. Jim Johnson is staying in the pen because I am not moving a quality reliever to let him fill a backend position in the rotation.

I will say it again, there is NO WAY that the Orioles can spend enough to build a quality on the field product in 2012. We need guys like Machado and Bundy to push through the minors and contribute at a high level. I am not blind, the Orioles are in trouble in 2012 unless they invest heavily into the starting rotation, two quality arms out of the pen (One should be a closer) and we upgrade first, third and LF. Fielder, Ramirez and Sizemore could do just that, but that is a ton of money spent before we even address the $35M+ in total 2012 dollars it would take to fix the rotation and pen. Can the Orioles add $70M plus to the 2012 budget? If so than supplement away boys!

I can not assume a trade no matter what the offer, but James Shields would be a smart guy to target if TB was looking to deal him. I think the Orioles could make the most noise and get better in a hurry by dealing Jones for a very nice package.

Archived