Duquette's most important task: fix the farm system

Frobby

I disagree.

The first step needs to be to put a team on the field that can get back into the playoffs. The Orioles need to end the losing. They've got to change the mentality and perception of this team before they do anything else.

Once they do that, then it will make anything else they try to do that much easier.

You don't have to have a strong farm system to win initially but you do need one to sustain winning. But to sustain winning, the Orioles need to actually win first.

Fans don't come to the Yard to watch "scouting and development" and the O's need their fanbase back to generate the neccessary revenue to rebuild those parts of the organization that do need attention.

Duquette will need to develop a succession plan eventually, but not until we figure out the pieces at the ML level.

Yeah cause this is exactly how Tampa climbed out of the gutter...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree.

The first step needs to be to put a team on the field that can get back into the playoffs. The Orioles need to end the losing. They've got to change the mentality and perception of this team before they do anything else.

Once they do that, then it will make anything else they try to do that much easier.

You don't have to have a strong farm system to win initially but you do need one to sustain winning. But to sustain winning, the Orioles need to actually win first.

Fans don't come to the Yard to watch "scouting and development" and the O's need their fanbase back to generate the neccessary revenue to rebuild those parts of the organization that do need attention.

Duquette will need to develop a succession plan eventually, but not until we figure out the pieces at the ML level.

Nobody is "anti-winning" on this board. Nobody. You just happen to be completely wrong about how to build a winner.

There very few elite free agents that are willing to sign on with a club that shows no evidence of improving. All the talk of improving the ML club via free agency has a hollow ring. Elite free agents are looking for one last big payday, but they aren't going to waste it on a club that doesn't show the ability to compete every season.

I have little problem adding big name FAs, but not this year and probably not next year. We need all the draft picks we can get, this team cannot afford to give them away for the sake of being mediocre at best. I would love to see the O's become relevant again next year but it just is not going to happen in the next 2 years. Put that money into the farm and player development and start reaping the befits of strong Oriole teams for years. JMHO

While it's true both made the majors, Everett was traded to Houston and never played a game for Boston. Shoppach was a second round pick.

I hadn't realized Shoppach was a 2nd rounder. He was the first pick Boston had in the draft that year. As to Everett, I really don't care that he was traded. He was still drafted and signed by the Sox, and he was traded for a valuable player in Carl Everett. If Gammons' knock on Duquette was that his teams didn't draft well, I disagree.

I have little problem adding big name FAs, but not this year and probably not next year. We need all the draft picks we can get, this team cannot afford to give them away for the sake of being mediocre at best. I would love to see the O's become relevant again next year but it just is not going to happen in the next 2 years. Put that money into the farm and player development and start reaping the befits of strong Oriole teams for years. JMHO

You're right, but our 1st rounder is protected. JTrea is right: if you're going to sign some big FAs, do it all in one year to minimize the impact on the loss of picks. And definitely try to do it going into a year where the draft isn't looking particularly strong. So, if we were to sign a few As or Bs this year, fine, punt on the 2012 draft if it's a weak one. We'll take our 1st rounder, hope he can make an impact, and that will be that. Duq will hopefully get us plugged into the latin market asap, and we can draw talent there, too. It doesn't just have to be the amatuer draft.

You're right, but our 1st rounder is protected. JTrea is right: if you're going to sign some big FAs, do it all in one year to minimize the impact on the loss of picks. And definitely try to do it going into a year where the draft isn't looking particularly strong. So, if we were to sign a few As or Bs this year, fine, punt on the 2012 draft if it's a weak one. We'll take our 1st rounder, hope he can make an impact, and that will be that. Duq will hopefully get us plugged into the latin market asap, and we can draw talent there, too. It doesn't just have to be the amatuer draft.

Ironically, the best draft we've had in recent years was probably 2007, when we had no 2nd or 3rd round pick. We took Wieters in the 1st round and Arrieta in the 5th. Of course, if the draft system is changed to hard slotting in the new CBA, there won't be any Arrietas who are holding out for high bonuses in the 5th round.

Ironically, the best draft we've had in recent years was probably 2007, when we had no 2nd or 3rd round pick. We took Wieters in the 1st round and Arrieta in the 5th. Of course, if the draft system is changed to hard slotting in the new CBA, there won't be any Arrietas who are holding out for high bonuses in the 5th round.

So there you go. SOMEone is going to take Fielder, ARam, Wilson, etc. Why can't we be in on it? A proven talent is worth more than a prospect. Of course, there's a lot more than just Fielder vs a 2nd rounder to judge, but I wouldn't let a few draft picks in a shallow draft be a deterrent. There are other avenues to explore to add talent.

Personally, I don't want Price Fielder that bad. If we happened to sign him, I'd be happy, but I don't think we're ready to sign that type of player. If we were in a position where a bat like that would put us over the hump, I'd be all over him. But we need guys like David Wright, Mark Buerhle, Edwin Jackson, and Grady Sizemore this season. Heck, the only FA I'd spend crazy money on right now is Jose Reyes. If you think you have money to spend on Fielder, I say give it to Reyes instead.

Well Trea is right... You can certainly build a winner the way he suggested. But they better not miss. If this team had signed some of the key guys Trea had been vocal about signing mainiy - Matt Holiday, Chone Figgins, John Lackey, Mark Texiera.

The 2011 team would have been about a 74 win team based on BBRef WAR.

Holliday +4.1

Tex +2.4

Figgins -.5

Lackey -1.2

Total Gain + 4.8

Replaces

Reimold +1.5

Lee +.3

Reynolds +.5

Matusz -2.6

Total Subtraction -.3

Total Win pickup 5.1

After this 74 or so win season, the O's would still owe these four players $261mm (BBRef) in future salary. The 2011 payroll with these 4 players and minus the 4 guys I am getting rid of would have been around $135mm.

Well Trea is right... You can certainly build a winner the way he suggested. But they better not miss. If this team had signed some of the key guys Trea had been vocal about signing mainiy - Matt Holiday, Chone Figgins, John Lackey, Mark Texiera.

The 2011 team would have been about a 74 win team based on BBRef WAR.

Holliday +4.1

Tex +2.4

Figgins -.5

Lackey -1.2

Total Gain + 4.8

Replaces

Reimold +1.5

Lee +.3

Reynolds +.5

Matusz -2.6

Total Subtraction -.3

Total Win pickup 5.1

After this 74 or so win season, the O's would still owe these four players $261mm (BBRef) in future salary. The 2011 payroll with these 4 players and minus the 4 guys I am getting rid of would have been around $135mm.

What a magnificent post this is.

Of course you do. There's not a poster or lurker on this site that didn't know that.

Hate to break it to you, but it is absolutely DD's philosophy to build through the draft and then add FA once the core has been established. Don't expect him to go all in the first year.

Do you think Angelos has the patience to develop things DD-style? He's pressured GMs to waste money on big-name, washed-up FAs, e.g., Sosa, Vlad.

Archived