Roch: Is it time to trade Adam Jones?

ChaosLex

I'm waiting on the plan before I start commenting about who we should trade and what we should get back. I would be very hesitant to trade Jones because I think he's going to hit for even more power and become more of a Joe Carter kind of player with the bat. He's never going to walk a ton, but if he can get his SLG in the .500 range, that will be fine. As he starts to hit for more power, I think you will see the walk start to go up as pitcher's start to respect him more. Also, if Wieters can continue to hit like he did in August and September and the O's acquire a big bat, he might not feel the pressure to have to produce which might allow him to become a little more selective.

The last thing is that Jones by all accounts, likes Baltimore and wants to play here and be part of turning things around. Me personally, I like that.

Now, I would not make him untouchable (Only Wieters should be), but I'm not going to to just move him for moving sake. He's got the potential to be 30 home runs guy with a .280+ average who plays average (I really don't care what the stats say) center field defense. That's a valuable guy in my opinion.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm waiting on the plan before I start commenting about who we should trade and what we should get back. I would be very hesitant to trade Jones because I think he's going to hit for even more power and become more of a Joe Carter kind of player with the bat. He's never going to walk a ton, but if he can get his SLG in the .500 range, that will be fine. As he starts to hit for more power, I think you will see the walk start to go up as pitcher's start to respect him more. Also, if Wieters can continue to hit like he did in August and September and the O's acquire a big bat, he might not feel the pressure to have to produce which might allow him to become a little more selective.

The last thing is that Jones by all accounts, likes Baltimore and wants to play here and be part of turning things around. Me personally, I like that.

Now, I would not make him untouchable (Only Wieters should be), but I'm not going to to just move him for moving sake. He's got the potential to be 30 home runs guy with a .280+ average who plays average (I really don't care what the stats say) center field defense. That's a valuable guy in my opinion.

But how much are you extending him for?

It obviously makes no sense to just hang onto him for the next 2 years and then let him walk.

So, you have to want to extend him...but at what cost? Are you giving him Nick's deal or something similar to it?

I think what you saw out of Jones this year is essentially what he will be....Just like Torii Hunter..Have a few years better, a few years worse but basically be in the 780-810 OPS range. He is too limited as a hitter too be much more than that on a consistent basis.

If Adam bats .290 next season with 30HR's, 95RBI's, and a .350OBP is his value higher then it is this offseason? The same? Realizing one less year of arbitration....

The call on Jones has to be made this offseason and if an extension can't be reached then, yeah, he has to be dealt. There should be plenty of options and major league pitching would have to headline the package coming back to Baltimore, not a prospect.

But how much are you extending him for?

It obviously makes no sense to just hang onto him for the next 2 years and then let him walk.

So, you have to want to extend him...but at what cost? Are you giving him Nick's deal or something similar to it?

I think what you saw out of Jones this year is essentially what he will be....Just like Torii Hunter..Have a few years better, a few years worse but basically be in the 780-810 OPS range. He is too limited as a hitter too be much more than that on a consistent basis.

I agree with you. We should not hold onto Jones and then let him walk. I don't have a number right now on what I would sign Jones to, but if he is willing to sign an extension without it breaking the bank in the Tex or A-Rod range then I think he is a guy that is worth holding onto.

yeah, i hear ya.. I would have liked this trade on our end. Unfortunately it does look like they are all in for the Cuban.

Jonathan Sanchez just went to KC for Melky Cabrera. Looks like we are going to sit around and do nothing as usual (too early to say that I know).

yeah, i hear ya.. I would have liked this trade on our end. Unfortunately it does look like they are all in for the Cuban.

Jonathan Sanchez just went to KC for Melky Cabrera. Looks like we are going to sit around and do nothing as usual (too early to say that I know).

I mean, we just signed our GM. Let's not freak out yet.

Wow, nice move by KC..Not that long ago that Sanchez was considered an excellent lefty arm with good upside.

Archived