Roch: Is it time to trade Adam Jones?

ChaosLex

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sanchez is not a great pitcher. He would get hammered in this division against these lineups. Absolutely hammered.

Sanchez is not great starter but frankly based on what we have in the rotation now he is at worst the 3rd starter behind Guthrie and Britton, you could argue that he is on par with Arrieta (who has proven nothing to this point also just like Sanchez)

Sanchez is not great starter but frankly based on what we have in the rotation now he is at worst the 3rd starter behind Guthrie and Britton, you could argue that he is on par with Arrieta (who has proven nothing to this point also just like Sanchez)

I would take Guthrie, Bitton, and Arrieta over Sanchez. We will not be able to beat an offer of Melky that the Giants got.

What in addition to Jones would it take to get Bumgarner and Belt from the Giants? I think getting those two would be a monumental step in the right direction for this team, but not sure how enamored they are with Bumgarner. I know they love him, but would Sabean, who loves flashy stars, like Jones enough to work a deal?

The way Bochy and the Giants front office jerked Belt around last season made it clear that they not only seriously undervalue Belt, but that they overvalue veterans. Reputation and "experience" means more to them than actual talent and production. That's why I think they would go for Jones, who is younger and more talented than all the recent stopgaps they've tried over the past 2-3 years.

Unless it's Britton+, if Sabean made that trade they'd find his body floating in McCovey's Cove.

I doubt it, this is the guy who signed Barry Zito to one of the worst contracts in recent memory and also engineered one of the consensus worst deals of the past decade - Nathan/Liriano/Bonser for Pierzynski. Sabean clearly overvalues veterans and undervalues young players, and the Giants have a surplus of young pitching and a glaring need for more offense. It's a good situation for the Orioles to explore.

Giants fans simply wouldn't care - Sabean has done this before, and he's drafted well enough and gotten lucky enough with his pitching staff to get away with it.

What in addition to Jones would it take to get Bumgarner and Belt from the Giants? I think getting those two would be a monumental step in the right direction for this team, but not sure how enamored they are with Bumgarner. I know they love him, but would Sabean, who loves flashy stars, like Jones enough to work a deal?

The way Bochy and the Giants front office jerked Belt around last season made it clear that they not only seriously undervalue Belt, but that they overvalue veterans. Reputation and "experience" means more to them than actual talent and production. That's why I think they would go for Jones, who is younger and more talented than all the recent stopgaps they've tried over the past 2-3 years.

A lot. Belt getting moved around so much last year wasn't so much him getting jerked around as finding him a place to play. The talk I've heard from Bochy and Sabean about "Baby Giraffe" makes me think he's a big part of their plans. He's also a fan favorite.

A lot. Belt getting moved around so much last year wasn't so much him getting jerked around as finding him a place to play. The talk I've heard from Bochy and Sabean about "Baby Giraffe" makes me think he's a big part of their plans. He's also a fan favorite.

Disagree with the bolded statement. The Giants had a struggling Aubrey Huff, an injured and struggling Cody Ross, and an awful Pat Burrell blocking Belt. It would have been easy to get him everyday at bats, but Bochy and the front office refused and instead went with aging vets who were clearly declining.

Bochy and Sabean favor veterans, pure and simple. That's why I think they wouldn't hesitate to give up a potential young star as part of a package for an established young All-Star.

Either way, what in addition to Jones would you think gets it done? I think Jones and Britton would be too much to give up, especially considering I think the Giants would highly value Jones and Bumgarner and Belt could quite possibly be had for less (than Jones+Britton). But I'm interested to hear some ideas.

Given that they just traded a young pitcher for a couple months of Carlos Beltran, I think it would take a great deal to pry Bumgarner away from the Giants. But with Sabean, who knows. Getting Bumgarner would give us a legitimate TOR, way more valuable than any of the young pitchers we currently have.

Archived