David Ortiz

bnw7870

If the Orioles are truly rebuilding under DD I don't mind Ortiz for two years. Realistically speaking 2014 would be the earliest our next wave of talent is going to arrive. Why not put a somewhat competitive team on the field in the mean time? I say this knowing how poorly Vladdy worked out and with hopes that whatever money spent on Ortiz wouldn't be taken away from acquiring good young talent.

Forget everything I just said. I just realized Ortiz is a type A free agent. Pass...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few things. Have the Red Sox actually offered arb to Ortiz yet?? Considering he made 12 mil last year and would prob get a raise thats not a given that they offer arbitration.

Second, it makes too much sense that Royle is being used by Ortiz and his management here. The Sox just offered him a contract a few days ago, then all of a sudden out of the blue the O's have a 2 year offer on the table. Not buying it at all. You just don't go after a 36 year old DH in FA this soon.

I wouldn't mind resigning Luke for a reasonable deal although I'm not necessarily advocating it. If he's fully recovered, it would make a lot more sense than signing David Ortiz.

Why? because he is cheaper?

Scott is too streaky of hitter...Let's move on, I would be open to Ortiz depending on price but I'd rather let Reimold DH over Scott.

Scott is too streaky of hitter...Let's move on, I would be open to Ortiz depending on price but I'd rather let Reimold DH over Scott.

What's wrong with cheaper? Cheaper is a good thing for a club with severe rotation problems and a payroll that's apparently going to remain in the $80-$85 million range. Cheaper is also good when your 2B is consuming an eighth of your payroll and is no guarantee to contribute anything in 2012. Streaky or not, Scott still has power bordering on Ortiz's, and Scott for a year or two at around $6 million per beats the hell out of Ortiz at 3/30 or more if those leftover resources are intelligently applied elsewhere. Signing Scott or another LF/DH (I'm not married to the idea of Luke Scott per se) would still allow at least 400 AB for Reimold which is enough at this stage for Reimold to make his case if he's ever going to.

This is the biggest NON-reason on this board and a pet peeve of mine. And this is not directed to only you, but WHO CARES?

How are the Orioles judged every year? By how their record is over 162 games. Sometimes they win 5 in a row. Sometimes they lose 8 in a row. They're streaky too. Every team is. In the end they're judged on the WHOLE year, not 5 weeks in June and July. The same should be true of players. And Luke's final numbers have been good to great for his whole time here. Minus last year but he was injured all year.

If Luke shows he is really healthy I'd love to have him back. Plug him in the lineup every day and at the end of the year his numbers will be fine.

Scott is a bit streaky, but I think when he was filling in as DH on an everyday role, this is when we saw his potential for power. He is Not a left fielder.. (Even though he did have that one amazing catch this season). I'd like to resign him, to a strict DH role, and try out reimold in Left field. No reason to waste money on Ortiz, although I would love to see him in Orange and black. It would just be a nice slap in the face to the Bosox every time he knocked one out around the pesky pole.. Stick with Scott/Reimold. Go after Starting pitching.

Scott is a bit streaky, but I think when he was filling in as DH on an everyday role, this is when we saw his potential for power. He is Not a left fielder.. (Even though he did have that one amazing catch this season). I'd like to resign him, to a strict DH role, and try out reimold in Left field. No reason to waste money on Ortiz, although I would love to see him in Orange and black. It would just be a nice slap in the face to the Bosox every time he knocked one out around the pesky pole.. Stick with Scott/Reimold. Go after Starting pitching.

ElGordo can back me up on this, but I think Luke's number are about average in LF. He's not going to hurt you much, if his arm (shoulder) is healthy.

ElGordo can back me up on this, but I think Luke's number are about average in LF. He's not going to hurt you much, if his arm (shoulder) is healthy.
Indeed I could back you in this, except that we are not permitted to cite defensive metrics, because Frobby doesn't accept them. But if we could they would demonstrate that Luke has been an above average LF whenever he has played there for a sufficient sample size. Of course he isn't getting any younger and hasn't played much in the field the last 2 years so maybe he has taken a step or two back, but my guess would be he is still more dependable than Reimold out there.

Indeed I could back you in this, except that we are not permitted to cite defensive metrics, because Frobby doesn't accept them. But if we could they would demonstrate that Luke has been an above average LF whenever he has played there for a sufficient sample size. Of course he isn't getting any younger and hasn't played much in the field the last 2 years so maybe he has taken a step or two back, but my guess would be he is still more dependable than Reimold out there.

I thought so. And I don't like the idea of having a set DH anyways. Unless it's a REAL masher, like Fielder or Ortiz. I like the idea of the DH as a rotating thing, to get guys in (or partially out) of the game.

The Red Sox are certainly talking to Ortiz and according to that article it appears the Orioles could very well be negotiating a contract with him as well.

Of course, November 23rd is the arbitration deadline BUT the Red Sox have not yet offered Ortiz arbitration (though he is a Type A FA).

My point of view on this: the Sox think Ortiz will accept arbitration if offered so they're trying to work out a more team-friendly contract right now. If the Orioles HAVE made a contract offer in advance of the arbitration deadline (in other words, conceding the Type A compensation without waiting to see if Ortiz is even offered it in the first place), it's likely one that would be financially team friendly, something like 2/$16m with incentives, maybe with options involved. The thought process being: surrendering the second round pick might allow you to get a better contract from a financial standpoint, since other teams would be afraid to lose the draft picks.

Entirely speculation, but I can't say I fault Duquette if even a smidge of it is true. If he has in fact made a contract offer to Ortiz then I have to say I respect how aggressively he's trying to improve the team. He's creating depth, reinforcing the bullpen and (possibly) trying to find that MOO bat we've been looking for. All in the same few days! It's exciting even if it isn't necessarily a reflection of long-term improvement to the club.

The Red Sox are certainly talking to Ortiz and according to that article it appears the Orioles could very well be negotiating a contract with him as well.

Of course, November 23rd is the arbitration deadline BUT the Red Sox have not yet offered Ortiz arbitration (though he is a Type A FA).

My point of view on this: the Sox think Ortiz will accept arbitration if offered so they're trying to work out a more team-friendly contract right now. If the Orioles HAVE made a contract offer in advance of the arbitration deadline (in other words, conceding the Type A compensation without waiting to see if Ortiz is even offered it in the first place), it's likely one that would be financially team friendly, something like 2/$16m with incentives, maybe with options involved. The thought process being: surrendering the second round pick might allow you to get a better contract from a financial standpoint, since other teams would be afraid to lose the draft picks.

Entirely speculation, but I can't say I fault Duquette if even a smidge of it is true. If he has in fact made a contract offer to Ortiz then I have to say I respect how aggressively he's trying to improve the team. He's creating depth, reinforcing the bullpen and (possibly) trying to find that MOO bat we've been looking for. All in the same few days! It's exciting even if it isn't necessarily a reflection of long-term improvement to the club.

I don't see the O's having the budget to sign Ortiz. DD has said the budget will be flat and 2011 was 87M. The O's are already at about 75M. They need two starters, a backup catcher and to resolve the DH spot. Scott at about 2-3M base with incentives looks more likely to me.

I don't see the O's having the budget to sign Ortiz. DD has said the budget will be flat and 2011 was 87M. The O's are already at about 75M. They need two starters, a backup catcher and to resolve the DH spot. Scott at about 2-3M base with incentives looks more likely to me.

That's true, though Duquette has discussed dealing Guthrie and Buck wants Jim Johnson in the rotation. I'd hope they're looking at a variety of ways to improve the roster, including rearranging where the money is allocated.

Archived