Geoff Baker echos my thoughts on FA and the standard cliches (excuses) for a non-contending team

JTrea81

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A great read Nail meet head. Just an awesome piece that should be required reading for every Orioles fan, media person and executive. Bra-freaking-vo! :clap3::clap3::clap3:

You can always make excuses not to sign anybody.

The opportunities for the Orioles are running out. Free agency is getting worse and worse. The Orioles keep passing and the players keep declining in quality.

You need to acquire the talent when it is available otherwise you may not be able to acquire it when you think you need it.

Perhaps it's just me. But you're either being incredibly condescending in your remarks, or you're really just oblivious to the things you write. Your "logic" and that of the article are from empirically true. But your interpretation is as if the whole concept is elementary level.

Most contracts are only justified by the early years, where the player performs well and contributes to the playoff run. Then, however, the end years generally don't go well and both the team and the player suffer as a result - not to mention the fan.

I don't see how you provided anything new or persuasive this time - are you trying to convinece people, or are you simply taking a shot at another opinion that you don't agree with. I just don't see how this thread is a conversation about adding real talent. I could be overreadting to it - if so, my bad. And all apologies.

You mean oblivious to reality and with his head buried in the sand?

Rebuking the people who make BS excuses of why his team can't take advantage of the opportunity to add a premium slugger to improve the team. People seem to their non-contending teams don't deserve to have premium talent for some reason. Only contenders are worthy. The Orioles are the perfect example. It's a bunch of crap IMO.

It's like the media wants us to feel like we suck and don't deserve a winning team so they constantly feed us these lowered expectations instead of demanding better...

Rebuking the people who make BS excuses of why his team can't take advantage of the opportunity to add a premium slugger to improve the team. People seem to their non-contending teams don't deserve to have premium talent for some reason. Only contenders are worthy. The Orioles are the perfect example. It's a bunch of crap IMO.

It's like the media wants us to feel like we suck and don't deserve a winning team so they constantly feed us these lowered expectations instead of demanding better...

I do not feel you have to be a contender to add a premium bat.

In some ways, i am in agreement with you that when the talent is available, that you go after it.

The problem is, the Orioles can't even be classified as a non contender...that's how bad they are. They are way worse than that.

And Fielder isn't going to help that much and he will tie up 1/4 of the payroll...at least.

Right now, the M's are a non contender but they could be a few moves away from being legit.

Tell me how much you would be willing to offer Fielder, in years and dollars. What's your limit?

Have you accepted that PA has a limit on the expenditures for payroll for this team regardless of whether there is more money available or not? I Have to believe you know this is the case. In that regard, I think you should shift gears from bashing the FO from being reluctant to add expensive FA's to bashing ownership for not providing the resources to allow for those kinds of transactions. The mantra you hear that you don't care for is essentially being placed there by ownership.

Tell me how much you would be willing to offer Fielder, in years and dollars. What's your limit?

I'm thinking 7/140 could easily get it done. He should be higher based on his stats/age, but I think most teams will shy away from him because of

his weight. I doubt too many teams would want to go over 5 years.

7/175

If he wants more I go hard after Joey Votto.

Of course you do, and you give up every real piece you have to surround Fielder with by the time you could be ready to compete. You can't replace those 4-5 pieces you are going to trade for Votto (who won't extend), with FA, it's too costly, and once again you are ignoring that you need to find positive WAR from low salaried players in order to realistically contend.

Have you accepted that PA has a limit on the expenditures for payroll for this team regardless of whether there is more money available or not? I Have to believe you know this is the case. In that regard, I think you should shift gears from bashing the FO from being reluctant to add expensive FA's to bashing ownership for not providing the resources to allow for those kinds of transactions. The mantra you hear that you don't care for is essentially being placed there by ownership.

I'm bashing people who have a defeatist attitude and don't demand better.

These apathetic people and pity-parties are really starting to tick me off...

Archived