Is the decision of what to do with Adam Jones the biggest decision of the offseason?

Sports Guy

Duquette mentioned Jones as part of the "core" at the presser, and I assume the Orioles are not looking to trade him, but you never know what may happen. I do think they should discuss a long-term deal so they know what direction to go -- if he's not interested in extending except at an exhorbitant price, he should be shopped. (Perhaps he should be shopped in any event, but you still want to understand your alternatives).

Duquette mentioned Markakis this morning on 105.7 as one of the good players along with Hardy.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is going to be an interesting aspect of Duq, compared to AM.

Will Duq only want to rip off the other team or will he be ok with a good trade?

BTW, based on what Duq has said, I tend to think he would be more ok with getting guys a little further away from the majors in a big trade as compared to AM.

I hope you're right- bingo. AM's obsession with "major league ready talent" even if that talent was mediocre at best, was maddening. We should be going with highest upside even if that kid is in AA and no use to us "now."

Duquette mentioned Markakis this morning on 105.7 as one of the good players along with Hardy.

Just listened to this interview. His interviews are getting redundant now that I've seen the presser and heard about 5 interviews. However, it really couldn't be more clear that he has limits on who he can hire and fire, and that he isn't chasing the top free agents this winter.

I would want Sizemore in LF...less of an injury risk in LF than CF. Less pounding on those knees because he has less ground to cover.

Do you think that Jones is a superior CFer to Sizemore at this point? I agree that CF covers more ground, but it's an 'easier' position to play than LF or RF, plus I think our LF is a tough one to play. The angle of the wall in the corner gives fielders fits all the time.

(I know we've had this discussion on the board before, and people thought I was crazy, but even Paul Blair said that the corner spots are harder because of the break and trajectory of the balls hit down the lines.)

Do you think that Jones is a superior CFer to Sizemore at this point? I agree that CF covers more ground, but it's an 'easier' position to play than LF or RF, plus I think our LF is a tough one to play. The angle of the wall in the corner gives fielders fits all the time.

(I know we've had this discussion on the board before, and people thought I was crazy, but even Paul Blair said that the corner spots are harder because of the break and trajectory of the balls hit down the lines.)

I haven't seen Sizemore enough to answer you...and I think its tough to judge him defensively the last few years because of the injuries.

Just listened to this interview. His interviews are getting redundant now that I've seen the presser and heard about 5 interviews. However, it really couldn't be more clear that he has limits on who he can hire and fire, and that he isn't chasing the top free agents this winter.

At this point and from what I have seen from our team over the last few years, I am not sure that he should be setting the world on fire in free agency. Even if we did go after premium talent, who would want to play here? That being said, he was brought in to fix the minors, scouting, player development and the international aspects of this organization. I think he could do that as he has done so before, but it is going to be hard to compete in 2-3 years through only exploiting those resources.

I haven't seen Sizemore enough to answer you...and I think its tough to judge him defensively the last few years because of the injuries.

Interesting.

In any event, I don't think our outfield depth is such that we can trade away from it right now. Neither is our SP depth, which is why I find it so curious as to why you're so high on trading Jones and Guthrie. I think I am skeptical about what they'd bring back in relation to the holes we have now, and the holes their departures would create.

Interesting.

In any event, I don't think our outfield depth is such that we can trade away from it right now. Neither is our SP depth, which is why I find it so curious as to why you're so high on trading Jones and Guthrie. I think I am skeptical about what they'd bring back in relation to the holes we have now, and the holes their departures would create.

Probably because the holes created would be for the 2012 team. This team is NOT going to compete in 2012 and needs to look at the long-term future.

Interesting.

You can get more OF depth via trades or FA.

I am worried about our long term OF depth but Jones is just not the player that you give a monster contract too...He will not live up to it.

You can get more OF depth via trades or FA.

I am worried about our long term OF depth but Jones is just not the player that you give a monster contract too...He will not live up to it.

He also might not warrant it, except maybe in his own mind. To me, he's got approximately the same value as Markakis, perhaps a tad more because of his power potential. But even he has to realize he has issues with making consistent contact and OBP (he's an Oriole, for crying out loud... they ALL do). I think you can get AJ for 5/70 right now and just end the whole thing. That's not a bad contract for us, and that's a contract that should make him feel pretty good. He's just not an upper-eschelon player, and shouldn't get paid as such.

EDIT: You're right about OF depth though. Should be easy to find, but we still don't have much right now.

This team has far to many holes to not trade some key guys that are currently big parts of this franchise. We are going to have to make some deals and smart FA signings to get the talent where it needs to be for us to consider

extensions for players like Jones.

He also might not warrant it, except maybe in his own mind. To me, he's got approximately the same value as Markakis, perhaps a tad more because of his power potential. But even he has to realize he has issues with making consistent contact and OBP (he's an Oriole, for crying out loud... they ALL do). I think you can get AJ for 5/70 right now and just end the whole thing. That's not a bad contract for us, and that's a contract that should make him feel pretty good. He's just not an upper-eschelon player, and shouldn't get paid as such.

EDIT: You're right about OF depth though. Should be easy to find, but we still don't have much right now.

Nick is and was a better baseball player...Jones is just coming off a year where he was better.

A 5/70 deal is just terrible for us.

Yes he did...but almost everything else he said would seemingly point to a Jones trade.

What I want to see out of Duquette is a quick and decisive approach to this.

If you want to extend him, fine...I won't agree with it but if that's what you want to do, then do it. You find out immediately what it will take.

If you are the Orioles, you should already know where you are willing to go extension wise for him. This isn't a very difficult decision to make.

If you are Jones, you likely know what you are willing to sign for to stay on board the titanic.

So, you get those numbers out there immediately...If you don't come to some kind of resolution QUICKLY, you then look to trade him.

If you only want to trade him and not extend him, then get his name out there starting at the GM meetings next week and tell everyone he will go to the highest bidder.

I think the decision should already have been made to move him. I'd be shocked if he would extend, and I'm not sure we should do it even if he would. The question is when imop.

Is this offseason really the highest his trade value is going to be? Are deals generally bigger in the offseason then at the All Star break - or vise versa? (legit question I don't know the answer too)

If Jones has a big first half, do you think we could get a bigger return at that point then we can right now? I'd expect something similar to what the Astros got for Hunter Pence. What's the harm in waiting til the deadline and hoping he continues to consistentily improve in hopes of a bigger return coming back from a desperate team in contention?

I agree here. What to do with Jones is a big decision. There are arguments, good arguments, for both sides of the issue. If AM were still around I think he would be working to sign him this offseason. With Duke, I don't know. I think he likes Jones, and I think he considers him someone to build around. But if the right deal came along I have little doubt he would pull the trigger.

Now the REAL question is, would the owner allow him to do it?

Archived