Pujols Meeting with Marlins

albert05

Marlins have a new stadium, a new high profile manager in Ozzie Guillen, and have changed their name from Florida to Miami. It wouldn't shock me to see them go in big with Albert and Reyes and make a run at being a contender.

If they add Albert and Reyes, they will undoubtedly be a contender.

Passan has a piece up on the Marlins:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_marlins_new_stadium_free_agents_111111

Since 2001, 11 MLB teams have moved into new stadiums. In the first year, eight increased payroll over the previous season, and the three that didn’t dropped less than 5 percent. By Year 3, five of 10 teams lowered payroll from the year before. In Year 4, it was four out of seven, and the three that increased payroll did so by less than 4 percent.

Good for the Marlins if they do make a serious run at Pujols. They've been treated as a farm team for the rich for far too long.

Good for the team that conned the local government out of hundreds of millions of dollars by crying poor even though they made $50 million in profit? Oh, woe is the Marlins. Loria should be in prison for fraud.

Do Reyes and Pujols really make them contenders? They still need some pitching and their team isn't THAT great offensively. That is a really tough division. The Nats and Braves are just going to keep getting better as time goes by and the Phillies will be ok for another year or 2 before crap hits the fan. They could leap over the Mets.

It would dynamically change the team, but I don't know how far it would go.

Do Reyes and Pujols really make them contenders? They still need some pitching and their team isn't THAT great offensively. That is a really tough division. The Nats and Braves are just going to keep getting better as time goes by and the Phillies will be ok for another year or 2 before crap hits the fan. They could leap over the Mets.

It would dynamically change the team, but I don't know how far it would go.

Wait, so having Reyes and Pujols wouldn't make them a terrific offensive team? Don't forget about Stanton, that kid is a stud. Their pitching isn't great but it's better than ours and I would venture to say that picking up Reyes and Pujols would make us a contender in the NL East.

Archived