It's Time For the Percolator Part Deux (DD's comments at GM meeting)

BrunoCherrytown

Not sure about charisma.

I'm not sure how charismatic it was when DD said he was going to build a winner here in Boston at his Baltimore introductory news conference.

He is slightly more plain-spoken than MacPhail, who tended to engage in corporate-speak. But the message is pretty much the same. I'll cut him some slack on his "Boston" gaffe. But the team needs to get better.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If any year is a good year to let the market set it self it's this one. This free agent class is poor at best. The pitching options aren't great. I'm not as in love with Wilson as everyone else is. Buerhle is following Guillen obviously.the Os need to work trades and build farm.

Peace made a post in another thread stating that percolating this offseason isn't that big of a deal, and I tend to agree with it. I just don't think there are free agents out there who are a good fit for us.

The thing I'm concerned about is that we're "percolating" on getting our front office in shape. We have several positions to fill, and there's been little mention lately about anyone filling these positions.

"Everybody else is chasing it, too," Duquette told MLBTR. "We have to wait for the sharks to feed and then we'll wait to see what's left over."

Leftovers and hand me downs. Sharks=teams willing to spend. Menhaden=little fish trying to swim upstream in the bay. Why do we want leftovers? Pass the turkey and the O's get the carcass. I wonder why some GM's passed on the O's. Nice philosophy.

If any year is a good year to let the market set it self it's this one. This free agent class is poor at best. The pitching options aren't great. I'm not as in love with Wilson as everyone else is. Buerhle is following Guillen obviously.the Os need to work trades and build farm.

I agree with this. None of the big name pitchers or hitters are going to want to come here anyway. I think our biggest moves will be via the trade route.

Peace made a post in another thread stating that percolating this offseason isn't that big of a deal, and I tend to agree with it. I just don't think there are free agents out there who are a good fit for us.

The thing I'm concerned about is that we're "percolating" on getting our front office in shape. We have several positions to fill, and there's been little mention lately about anyone filling these positions.

We need some front office,minor league and major league coaches. Again, the no sense of urgency seems to be going on. That quote should be on the season ticket invoice sent out next month. We are not sharks ,we are dead in the water.

This off season may be headed right where MacPhail would have taken it.

Small trade for Koji. That moves Johnson into competition for the rotation.

Small trade for Ian Stewart. The Rockies are listening according to MLBTR.

Adding some starting pitching depth, not TOR.

Add a backup catcher to makes Buck comfortable with giving Wieters less time behind the plate which may improve his offense.

Offer 2/22 for Ortiz and see where it goes. If that fails work out a deal with Scott.

"We have to wait for the sharks to feed and then we'll wait to see what's left over."

At least he is honest and basically says we will wait til everything is left and pick through through the crap. Cant wait til we lose 90 games again next year.

This is whats wrong with a Angelos owned O's ....Please end the curse and sell the team Mr. Angelos.

That "shark" remark is really rubbing people the wrong way, but it is correct that if you aren't going to try to compete for the top free agent names, you are better off waiting it out than trying to be aggressive with the middle-market players.

Archived