It's Time For the Percolator Part Deux (DD's comments at GM meeting)

BrunoCherrytown

When I read that I thought I could hear a certain poster's head exploding from hundreds of miles away.

Seriously, though, this is the reality for this franchise right now. The only way you are getting C.J. Wilson to come to Baltimore is by massively overpaying for him, and I'm sorry but that would be a stupid route to take. We should be looking for undervalued arms that can eat innings and take some pressure off the younger pitchers. If that means more short-term deals to middling veterans so be it, only a fool could think the Orioles will be ready to compete in 2012.

This. Though your point will be largely overlooked by those wishing to rant endlessly about adding talent - regardless of consequence.

I want CJ, too, but I'm not willing to give the guy a $100M contract when there is too much risk. I say go after international talent - find gems in the south american or asian markets that can be enticed to come here. CJ is just going to use a bidding war against all the teams desperate for his services - someone will be stupid and overpay badly for him.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That "shark" remark is really rubbing people the wrong way, but it is correct that if you aren't going to try to compete for the top free agent names, you are better off waiting it out than trying to be aggressive with the middle-market players.

I don't think it is a good idea after the GM search and the losing to make this comment. You need to get the fans excited. Say we are going to go after what we think will make a competitive team and also build for the future. Not a good marketing slogan. Are the O's catfish and clean the tank of all the crap after the other fish are done.

I'd like to know there is a direction. Are we building around our so called core (as mentioned earlier today)? If so then at some point you have to stop waiting and yes get some top guys. If not then blow it up and rebuild. To be in between is insane, we have sat on this fence so many times before.

If we are not going to win with this "core" than find one we can win with.

Reality check:

1. O's aren't going to compete for the WS in 2012. Throwing $100M at a frontline FA pitcher would be insane.

2. At this point, we're fully commited to the "core". They will have to develop or the O's will not be competative for at least another 5 yrs. despite what they do in the FA market.

3. Its way too early to blow up the core (Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, Britton, etc).

4. Yes - we're "in between". If Matusz rediscovers his control/velocity, Arrieta pitches like he did pre-injury and Britton shows baby-steps of improvement, consider 2012 a smashing success.

I don't think it is a good idea after the GM search and the losing to make this comment. You need to get the fans excited. Say we are going to go after what we think will make a competitive team and also build for the future. Not a good marketing slogan. Are the O's catfish and clean the tank of all the crap after the other fish are done.

I think it is better to be honest with the fans, rather than getting them excited that the team is going to be very active in free agency and then not following through.

I will be honest, I couldn't care less how Duquette turns a phrase. My level of excitement in February will depend on the moves the team made, not how they were spun.

That "shark" remark is really rubbing people the wrong way, but it is correct that if you aren't going to try to compete for the top free agent names, you are better off waiting it out than trying to be aggressive with the middle-market players.

I keep picturing Dan Duquette playing Vince Vaughn's part in Couples Retreat when Vaughn's character thinks he's being attacked by sharks.

"They're slow playing me! "

You can be aggressive without being stupid. Perhaps proactive is a better word to use. The comment makes it sound like we're sitting on our hands. I know that's not the case, but that's how it comes across.

Reality check:

1. O's aren't going to compete for the WS in 2012. Throwing $100M at a frontline FA pitcher would be insane.

2. At this point, we're fully commited to the "core". They will have to develop or the O's will not be competative for at least another 5 yrs. despite what they do in the FA market.

3. Its way too early to blow up the core (Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, Britton, etc).

4. Yes - we're "in between". If Matusz rediscovers his control/velocity, Arrieta pitches like he did pre-injury and Britton shows baby-steps of improvement, consider 2012 a smashing success.

Good post. The truth is, the fate of the 2012 season rests largely on the pitchers who are already here and who haven't met expectations to date. Nothing Duquette does will change that.

Good post. The truth is, the fate of the 2012 season rests largely on the pitchers who are already here and who haven't met expectations to date. Nothing Duquette does will change that.

But it still will be a good idea to get a veteran pitcher to take some of the pressure off of them. Millwood was not great but they pitched better when he was an Oriole in the second half of the season.

You can be aggressive without being stupid. Perhaps proactive is a better word to use. The comment makes it sound like we're sitting on our hands. I know that's not the case, but that's how it comes across.

He did say that we've already made some offers to bench players and hope to sign one or more next week. I don't think he is sitting on his hands based on the reports I've read. But as to where he is going with the pitching, I suspect we won't sign anyone until after the winter meetings.

He did say that we've already made some offers to bench players and hope to sign one or more next week. I don't think he is sitting on his hands based on the reports I've read. But as to where he is going with the pitching, I suspect we won't sign anyone until after the winter meetings.

I still think the O's will trade for pitching.

Archived