What would the Hangout be like if the Orioles were good, for once?

Frobby

Just daydreaming here. Let's say the O's were a pretty good team in 2012, and won 85 games or so. What would this place be like? Would people still complain just as much? Would remarks by the GM, manager and players get the same level of scrutiny they get now? Would the same posters be on the same sides of the issues?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just daydreaming here. Let's say the O's were a pretty good team in 2012, and won 85 games or so. What would this place be like? Would people still complain just as much? Would remarks by the GM, manager and players get the same level of scrutiny they get now? Would the same posters be on the same sides of the issues?

They wouldn't complain as much for the first year. But people/fans are natually complainers and critics I guess.

I think that there are tons of big picture posters here. So if we won 85 games next year, but weren't much further ahead in terms of developing into a consistent contender, I don't think too much would change. It would certainly be a little less dramatic, but I still think there would be lots of criticism and complaining to go around in terms of what still needs to be done.

I think the bolded will always be true. There are a few posters who have shown themselves open to opposing opinions/mind-changing, but lots are simply entrenched.

I think that there are tons of big picture posters here. So if we won 85 games next year, but weren't much further ahead in terms of developing into a consistent contender, I don't think too much would change. It would certainly be a little less dramatic, but I still think there would be lots of criticism and complaining to go around in terms of what still needs to be done.

There are, but for some of us, It would be nice if we were real good lets say twice in the next 20 years? I would like to celebrate a few more WS Championships. It would be real nice if Earl and My Dad could be in the parade.

Well many of you are fans of other teams in other sports. So, I'd use that as my measuring stick since I think fans regardless of team choice act pretty much the same when it comes to winning and losing. I think people would be more optimistic but at the same time we would be expecting more out of the FO if they won 85 games since that puts us between 5-10 games of contending. Now, if we were perennially successful like the Yankees or Red Sox have been in the past fifteen years then I'd think you'd see attitudes of entitlement development where a division title but first round playoff exit would be seen as a bad year. Hopefully 2012 is the year we break the losing streak. It's been too long. I got a kid brother who's never witnessed an Orioles winning season and the Yankees I think have as much pennants in my lifetime as the O's have winning seasons.

Just daydreaming here. Let's say the O's were a pretty good team in 2012, and won 85 games or so.

1. What would this place be like?

2. Would people still complain just as much?

3. Would remarks by the GM, manager and players get the same level of scrutiny they get now?

4. Would the same posters be on the same sides of the issues?

1. Ebullient, back slapping euphoria as we continue to stay above .500.

2. Not so many negative posts for a while but like SOSH, the negative nellies will still rip PA a new one and diss DD, Buck and Andino playing everyday.

3. Yes and no. GM yes and players and manager not so much because DD is the new kid on the chopping block.

4. A resounding yes - SG slinging morons, Trea spending confederate $$$ and wildcard drinking the koolaid (it's a joke guys! :D)

But boy, it will be sweet (takes another drink from the sippy cup)!

1. Ebullient, back slapping euphoria as we continued to stay above .500.

2. Not so many negative posts for a while but like SOSH, the negative nellies will still rip PA a new one and diss DD, Buck and Andino playing everyday.

3. Yes and no. GM yes and players and manager not so much because DD is the new kid on the chopping block.

4. A resounding yes - SG slinging morons, Trea spending confederate $$$ and wildcard drinking the koolaid (it's a joke guys! :D)

But boy, it will be sweet (takes another sip from the sippy cup)!

The everybody dancing thread would get a sticky.

People would be a lot nicer, I believe.

One of the reasons that it feels as if everyone is at each other's throats is because we have nothing positive to build on.

I've spent time on SOSH and the River Ave message boards and they complain about things like "how to approach the playoffs" and "whether or not CC can get his 20th win after 3 days rest" whereas we argue about people not liking a mediocre GM or if the owner has a revenue stream he won't use (when it's obvious that PA has money to burn).

We don't know how to discuss winning because we haven't been supporting a winning team in recent years. Instead, we snipe about nothing and break into useless virtual factions.

I look forward to the day when the Orioles become winners for many reasons, one of the biggest reasons is to see how this board evolves.

If we finished with 85 W's people would be complaining that if we had just been willing to sign Prince we could've been a contender.:laughlol:
If we did it without the round mound of revolutionary sound, he would be right. Just that the next season, we would have a hard time winning sixty, becaus we would have to sell off all our assests to make payroll.

People would be a lot nicer, I believe.

One of the reasons that it feels as if everyone is at each other's throats is because we have nothing positive to build on.

I've spent time on SOSH and the River Ave message boards and they complain about things like "how to approach the playoffs" and "whether or not CC can get his 20th win after 3 days rest" whereas we argue about people not liking a mediocre GM or if the owner has a revenue stream he won't use (when it's obvious that PA has money to burn).

We don't know how to discuss winning because we haven't been supporting a winning team in recent years. Instead, we snipe about nothing and break into useless virtual factions.

I look forward to the day when the Orioles become winners for many reasons, one of the biggest reasons is to see how this board evolves.

I actually disagree with this post quite a bit. This is a much more reasonable place with better folks than SOSH. And new folks here are welcomed. Not shunned.

Archived