What would the Hangout be like if the Orioles were good, for once?

Frobby

The bigger question is what would Baltimore be like? The city is so die-hard with the Ravens and it is amazing. If the Orioles could have just 75% of the amount of interest fans have in the Ravens the city would be insane during the summer. I know baseball is a different sport but it would be great. Also, I don't consider anyone who has lost interest in the Orioles a fair weather fan. Yes the fair whether fans leave when you lose but many good and average fans leave when you're bad for as long as we have been.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There would be a deluge of free accounts From Boston IP addresses running around in circles spouting nonsense.

Of course the half a dozen keepers we would get out of them would make it worthwhile.

Game threads would be huge and full of rep.

And we would have a seventh new statue. Dan Duquette.

I actually disagree with this post quite a bit. This is a much more reasonable place with better folks than SOSH. And new folks here are welcomed. Not shunned.

I think this is a "reasonable" place because I think O's fans, even when things are going well are less uptight than Red Sox/Yankees fans. I think it's geographical.

I actually disagree with this post quite a bit. This is a much more reasonable place with better folks than SOSH. And new folks here are welcomed. Not shunned.

Have you seen some of the arguments around here?

During my time as a lurker, I've seen the following:

a) An argument over someone referring to Andy MacPhail as Andy "MacFart."

b) Posters attacking Jtrea81 for anything he says, even if it's not completely crazy talk.

c) Camps of posters mocking other posters because of their lack of knowledge of sabermetric principles.

d) One group calling another group "negative" and those people referring to the former as "kool aid drinkers."

I'll say here and now that the OH is one of the best MLB forums in the country, but we do have the stigma of supporting a losing squad and the disagreements can be petty and illogical.

Just daydreaming here. Let's say the O's were a pretty good team in 2012, and won 85 games or so. What would this place be like? Would people still complain just as much? Would remarks by the GM, manager and players get the same level of scrutiny they get now? Would the same posters be on the same sides of the issues?

Depends on how they got there. If they signed Fielder to an 8/200 deal, signed a couple pretty good pitchers for over-the-top O's-taxed contracts, traded Machado/Schoop for somebody like Votto... well, they'd be pretty well set up for failure in the future, and they only won 85 games this year, I'd be unyielding in my criticism. If instead they won with a bunch of international signings, young kids, talent that Duquette traded for, basically doing stuff the right way and overachieving, I'm sure I'd be a fanboy.

Depends on how they got there. If they signed Fielder to an 8/200 deal, signed a couple pretty good pitchers for over-the-top O's-taxed contracts, traded Machado/Schoop for somebody like Votto... well, they'd be pretty well set up for failure in the future, and they only won 85 games this year, I'd be unyielding in my criticism. If instead they won with a bunch of international signings, young kids, talent that Duquette traded for, basically doing stuff the right way and overachieving, I'm sure I'd be a fanboy.

Yep. Winning 85 games using the Tampa or Texas method would be great. Winning 85 games with the New York or Boston method would not be good.

Archived