What would the Hangout be like if the Orioles were good, for once?

Frobby

Be careful talking about "board factionalism" or else they'll accuse you of being Albert Belle or Jeffrey Maier or maybe even Bob Irsay.

I thought we were allowed to express different opinions about the Orioles? Frobby's main point is illustrated herein. If we were doing well as a team and organization, would there be cyber witch hunts whenever someone new appears and happens to say something that the majority don't like?

Since I've signed up, I've been called a martyr and "bet welcher" and a "sock puppet" and never once did these people understand that I am not MSK or whomever they believe I am.

To say I am angry would be a bit much, but befuddled and disappointed would cover it. I just want to be online with Orioles fans, not get into stupid debates over nothing.

Maybe you can start doing that by ignoring this kind of stuff and focus on Orioles talk? You do seem to have some pretty strong opinions about this board for a guy with 68 posts. The guy you are accused of being is from California, as are you, although your IP addresses don't match. The way you paint the board in broad brushes is similar to the poster you are being accused of being and the way you are making yourself out to be victim here is pretty reminiscent as well.

This might all be one big coincidence, but the way you can get past it and start talking Orioles baseball to ignore the posts saying you are someone else and stop painting the board with generalities. We can't [prove you are the same guy and honestly, I'm not really going to spend a lot of time trying to figure it all out. We don't appreciate people who try and get around the 500 post rule and neither do a lot of our paying members. If you are truly new to the board, then welcome. If you have interesting things to add to the conversations you will be welcomed by the community, if you don't, or you try and broad stroke the board by claiming it's not inviting, then you will find this place pretty non-inviting. It really is that simple.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I think the accusations are a bit over-the-top, it's not as if this behaviour is unique to the Hangout. Your posts displayed syntax and sentiments that are very close to those utilized by the poster MSK, and pretty unique amongst Orioles Hangout posters. Given how he behaved on the board, a reappearance under a new name would not be out of character at all, and so it's understandable that when a new poster shows up, posting in a very similar manner while claiming to have joined years ago and referencing past board conversations, veteran OH members would draw a connection.

Anyway, any time someone joins a well-established (internet) community, there is typically a transition period. The questioning of your identity is something that I've seen on many, many message boards over the years and has relatively little to do with the status of the Orioles franchise. If the team was a perpetual contender and a new poster showed up and was very similar to a long-vanished board member, it would be inquired after.

I'd say "don't take it personally," but I know that can be difficult. I suggest you stick it out. Whether or not people agree with your opinions, dissenting views are good to have expressed and can lead to great conversations.

Maybe you can start doing that by ignoring this kind of stuff and focus on Orioles talk?

Which I had done by posting info about Roch and bench depth and discussing some of Amber's ideas on free agency. This happened in this thread mainly.

I've been reading the site for many years and decided to join up after my time on the Sun boards as I had said in my earliest posts here. If I make it to 500 posts and I have the desire to do so, then I will happily pay whatever membership fee is required of me. However, the attitude I've gotten is a bit off-putting as I am sure you can understand.

Don't you believe its a little strange for people to go out of their way to be so uninviting?

Which I had done by posting info about Roch and bench depth and discussing some of Amber's ideas on free agency. This happened in this thread mainly.

I've been reading the site for many years and decided to join up after my time on the Sun boards as I had said in my earliest posts here. If I make it to 500 posts and I have the desire to do so, then I will happily pay whatever membership fee is required of me. However, the attitude I've gotten is a bit off-putting as I am sure you can understand.

Don't you believe its a little strange for people to go out of their way to be so uninviting?

Well, I don't follow every thread nor do I really pay attention to every disagreement unless they start to break rules or a post is reported to us, so I really can't say that people are going out of their way to be uninviting. Every single one of the posters on this site were new at some point and every day we gain new posters who improve the community in some way. I've seen people come in and rack up rep points very quickly by making outstanding posts and I've seen others who come on here and mix it up right off the bat and things don't go as smoothly.

It's ok to have a differing opinion on any subject, but entering a new online community is just like moving into a real community or new job. If you state your opinions and then back them up with stats and facts, you will fit in well. If you come in and start telling everyone they are uninviting and full of factionalism than I'm guessing things are not going to go as well.

People can call it what they want, but one of the things I'm most proud of in regard to this community is how much pride they take in it and how willing they are to defend it against untrue accusations. At the end of the day, your actions will determine how inviting this community is towards you.

If you come in and start telling everyone they are uninviting and full of factionalism than I'm guessing things are not going to go as well.

Peoples can call it what they want, but one of things I'm most proud of in regard to this community is how much pride they take in it and how willing they are to defend it against untrue accusations. At the end of the day, your actions will determine how inviting this community is towards you.

Fair enough.

I believe that when I responded to Frobby's question, I said something that hit a nerve and drew comparisons to another poster's belief system. I'm fine with providing facts or supporting my statements if this can be done with the benefit of the doubt. Meaning allowing me to establish my presence here without unnecessary accusations and posturing.

I've no issue with anyone here. Why would I? Let's just move on and talk Orioles baseball.

Archived