MLB Blood Testing for HGH starting in February

weams

I was just going to start this thread. I have to give a big props to MLB for getting this in the new CBA. Very impressive, for once.

Major League Baseball's new collective bargaining agreement will include blood testing for human growth hormone, sources confirmed to ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

A report in the New York Times, citing two league sources familiar with the deal, said testing would begin in February during spring training. According to the sources, the penalty for a positive HGH test will be the same as a positive steroid test -- a 50-game suspension.

MLB would become the first major professional sports league in North America to test for HGH. The NFL agreed upon on HGH testing in its latest CBA, but has yet to implement it.

Link.

This will be pretty good for MLB from a PR standpoint, but I'll be absolutely blown away if there is even the slightest bit of real evidence it's done anything to effect anything on the field. I'd bet HGH is less meaningful than greenies. The idea that this suddenly makes one-dimensional minor league speedsters like Greg Miclat valuable is laughable.

But I'm sure there will be a few 28-page threads when someone who had a big year last year has one homer in April.

This will be pretty good for MLB from a PR standpoint, but I'll be absolutely blown away if there is even the slightest bit of real evidence it's done anything to effect anything on the field. I'd bet HGH is less meaningful than greenies. The idea that this suddenly makes one-dimensional minor league speedsters like Greg Miclat valuable is laughable.

But I'm sure there will be a few 28-page threads when someone who had a big year last year has one homer in April.

I will gladly admit when I am Wrong.

Archived