Matusz to work out with Brady

Sports Guy

Please tell me what the big neon warning signs were. If you say there were warning signs about his character or work ethic, I disagree. Jordan raved about the guy's character.

1-Old for his competition, he dominated at least partially due to being physically more advanced then his peers.

2-Spike in velocity senior year

3-Having lived his entire life before his senior year of baseball being out of shape and then suddenly getting into shape in time for his "contract year".

4-Body type

I don't doubt that Jordan loved his work ethic, but where was it the first 18 years of his life?

If you want you can go back to when he was drafted and look, I had issues with his sudden desire for fitness then.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1-Old for his competition, he dominated at least partially due to being physically more advanced then his peers.

3-Having lived his entire life before his senior year of baseball being out of shape and then suddenly getting into shape in time for his "contract year".

4-Body type

I don't doubt that Jordan loved his work ethic, but where was it the first 18 years of his life?

If you want you can go back to when he was drafted and look, I had issues with his sudden desire for fitness then.

I don't recall anybody discussing the third point at the time he was drafted, but I will take your word for it. The others don't relate to his character or work ethic so they don't really go to my question.

4-Body type

I still hate the Hobgood pick.

We would be in a much better place right now if we had Grant Green ready to start the year at 2b...

I don't recall anybody discussing the third point at the time he was drafted, but I will take your word for it. The others don't relate to his character or work ethic so they don't really go to my question.

The other three are general warning signs. I am sure you read the post about older draftees.

I keep seeing comments about his size like its a good thing, except that snippet from rotoworld. The kid looks about 20-25 pounds heavy to me. Is he in shape? I hate to think they spent a five pick on a kid that is going to have weight issues.
I would hope that the vast majority of 18 year olds who wish to become professional baseball players try and manage their weight. In general terms I agree with you, but when talking about folks that aspire to professional athletic careers it should be a priority from day one.

That was in the draft thread.

I was not alone in voicing these concerns.

The other three are general warning signs. I am sure you read the post about older draftees.

That was in the draft thread.

I was not alone in voicing these concerns.

Still seems to me those don't go to your point about getting into shape his senior year after being out of shape his entire life.

Still seems to me those don't go to your point about getting into shape his senior year after being out of shape his entire life.

Missed this one due to the abbreviated part mentioning Megan Fox

I addressed this topic a few posts ago. Saying they would have spent a bunch of money to sign Ackley doesn't prove anything. It is akin to me saying, If Megan Fox walks into this bar, she is leaving with me! The proof of a willingness to spend money will be if they spend money, not saying they would have.

So the fact that Hobgood was 260-265 last winter you see as a good thing? If he had a stong work ethic he wouldn't have goten so big in the first place. It is a good sign that he dropped the 10-20 pounds but he had a lot of incentive to do so. Hopefully a couple million in his pocket won't affect his ability to remain focused on keeping himself in shape.

Man, a lot of fun going back and re-reading that stuff after a couple years.

There was a post from Matt's Uncle later in that thread that talked about how he told him he had to get in shape before the draft, and look like a top player, implying that he really wasn't before that last year. So that's a pretty good hint at least.

Man, a lot of fun going back and re-reading that stuff after a couple years.

There was a post from Matt's Uncle later in that thread that talked about how he told him he had to get in shape before the draft, and look like a top player, implying that he really wasn't before that last year. So that's a pretty good hint at least.

Wow. That thread was filled with gold. Some.....interesting thoughts, for sure.

Just as a reminder, Zack Wheeler at Advanced-A ball this year (21yr4m old at 10/2011):

115 IP - 115 (averaged 5.1 IP per start)

SO/9 - 10.1

HR/9 - 0.5

SO/BB - 2.48

WHIP - 1.322

ERA - 3.52

His last five starts of the year:

IP - 23

SO/9 - 10.5

HR/9 - 0.0

SO/BB - 5.4

WHIP - 1.13

ERA - 0.78

#Guy

Wow. That thread was filled with gold. Some.....interesting thoughts, for sure.

Just as a reminder, Zack Wheeler at Advanced-A ball this year (21yr4m old at 10/2011):

115 IP - 115 (averaged 5.1 IP per start)

SO/9 - 10.1

HR/9 - 0.5

SO/BB - 2.48

WHIP - 1.322

ERA - 3.52

His last five starts of the year:

IP - 23

SO/9 - 10.5

HR/9 - 0.0

SO/BB - 5.4

WHIP - 1.13

ERA - 0.78

#Guy

Well, 95% of the time, you can pick a guy, often several guys, who were available when the team picked and who turned out better than the guy they drafted.

In this case, though, Jordan went out on a limb, and the limb broke. It's hard to come up with any rationale that says this wasn't a terrible pick.

Well, 95% of the time, you can pick a guy, often several guys, who were available when the team picked and who turned out better than the guy they drafted.

In this case, though, Jordan went out on a limb, and the limb broke. It's hard to come up with any rationale that says this wasn't a terrible pick.

I think he got suckered in by a good story. I am not saying the he was intentionally deceived. I think he got swept away by the narrative and a signability pick is where he wanted to go anyway.

I think he got suckered in by a good story. I am not saying the he was intentionally deceived. I think he got swept away by the narrative and a signability pick is where he wanted to go anyway.

Well, I haven't abandoned all hope on Hobgood. He clearly has had shoulder issues that may have developed soon after he was drafted. There's still some hope that he overcomes these and becomes some semblance of what Jordan hoped he would be. I'd peg the odds of that at 10%, but 10% is better than zero.

I noted Wheeler because someone in the thread that was apparently in the know said it appeared Baltimore had Wheeler and Hobgood rated similarly and liked Hobgood's mental side/make-up better. There were also a few comments specifically about Wheeler sounding like a dummy and Hobgood being well spoken.

Well, I haven't abandoned all hope on Hobgood. He clearly has had shoulder issues that may have developed soon after he was drafted. There's still some hope that he overcomes these and becomes some semblance of what Jordan hoped he would be. I'd peg the odds of that at 10%, but 10% is better than zero.

Hopefully he does and it would be a great story if he can go from where he is currently and still make it to the big leagues. I have never rooted against the kid.

Archived