Matusz to work out with Brady

Sports Guy

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can see this lasting about 2 days and Brady and him almost getting into a fight. ESP! Our pitcher does not listen to experts. We've discussed this previously. He will be dealt soon.

There will be no fight. He will do it Brady's way or Brady will move on. He won't be traded this offseason.

Reimold's OPS jumped 171 points from 2010-2011 and he looked like an average outfielder.

Yeah but that is more result of him coming back from the year before which was catastrophic personally for him. Coming back with a clear head he produced more like he should last year. Given more time I expect that to continue this year.

I can see this lasting about 2 days and Brady and him almost getting into a fight. ESP! Our pitcher does not listen to experts. We've discussed this previously. He will be dealt soon.
There will be no fight. He will do it Brady's way or Brady will move on. He won't be traded this offseason.

Brady has been working with Matusz since mid-season, and Matusz had nothing but good things to say. I really don't understand the character assassination going on with Matusz right now.

Matusz himself, at times this year, has seemed to question his own conditioning and has recently been working with Brady Anderson. He said will continue to do that this offseason.

"When I had that injury (at the start of the season), I lost some weight, from not being able to workout. I've just been working hard in the weight room, getting my strength back so I can go out there every five days and feel strong. I've been able to increase my body weight and increase my strength," Matusz said.

"For the last, about, 90 days, I've been training with Brady Anderson. I really like his workouts and that is something I'm going to continue in the offseason."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/09/has-matusz-made-progress-fenway-park-awaits.html

Conditioning will remain a priority for Matusz over the fall and winter.

"I'm going to be working out in Irvine with Brady Anderson, and I'm heading out there right away," he said. "I've been on his workout program now for about 100 days and I'm not going to stop. I'm going to keep getting bigger and stronger. I'm not sure about the throwing yet, exactly what I'm going to do. I know I'm going to start throwing a little earlier this year and probably throw some more bullpen sessions.

"I'm going to have myself right. I haven't exactly mapped out what I'm going to do in terms of throwing, long toss and bullpen sessions, but I'm going to make sure I get my rest and recover when I need to, but also make sure I get enough work in to where I'm right."

Anderson also worked with Nolan Reimold and Mark Reynolds last winter. Matusz has become his latest project.

"It's all power," Matusz said. "Everything we do is all squat-based power-type movements, strengthening muscles that I specifically use as a pitcher. And running-wise, conditioning myself to where I'm doing a lot of sprints, which generate power as well. That's the type of routine I've been on and that's what I'm going to keep doing. I'll do every little bit that I need to in order to make sure I'm in the best shape and that my mechanics are where they need to be."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/09/matusz-quotes.html

It seems to me that he has stepped up and handled his failure like we would want him to handle it. I'm in his corner.

Brady has been working with Matusz since mid-season, and Matusz had nothing but good things to say. I really don't understand the character assassination going on with Matusz right now.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/09/has-matusz-made-progress-fenway-park-awaits.html

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/09/matusz-quotes.html

It seems to me that he has stepped up and handled his failure like we would want him to handle it. I'm in his corner.

It's been going on since last season when no one could figure out why the year was going so bad. I've snipped in once in a while that anyone who has ever met him knows better...but you can't convince the masses who assume things through the media.

It's been going on since last season when no one could figure out why the year was going so bad. I've snipped in once in a while that anyone who has ever met him knows better...but you can't convince the masses who assume things through the media.

I think it started when he admitted he was mentally unprepared to start the season and rationalized the pitching coach as the cause for his failure. I dont think that's the media's fault or even an assumption. I give Matusz some credit for being honest about being unprepared to start the season. Maybe he was too honest. Not too many players are going to admit that I guess.

I met him twice, in a situation where I was able to actually observe his behavior. He seemed like as nice a young guy as you would ever wish to meet.

I am the one who keeps comparing him to Halladay :P

Yeah but that is more result of him coming back from the year before which was catastrophic personally for him. Coming back with a clear head he produced more like he should last year. Given more time I expect that to continue this year.

Honestly with Reimold I meant more defensively then with the Bat. Nolan while far from a GG candidate, looked perfectly adequate out in left field last season. Even before he was hobbled in '09 he looked like Larry Sheets.

Honestly with Reimold I meant more defensively then with the Bat. Nolan while far from a GG candidate, looked perfectly adequate out in left field last season. Even before he was hobbled in '09 he looked like Larry Sheets.

Hey careful with the Sheets bashing. :new_wave:

I think it started when he admitted he was mentally unprepared to start the season and rationalized the pitching coach as the cause for his failure. I dont think that's the media's fault or even an assumption. I give Matusz some credit for being honest about being unprepared to start the season. Maybe he was too honest. Not too many players are going to admit that I guess.

I don't remember him saying he was mentally unprepared, I guess I missed that, but the whole pitching coach mess, is a big problem that just got swept away like nothing happened. I wasn't there, so I'm just making educated guesses, BUT if Matusz was being forced to change things (and I'm sure he was as much as Buck cried about him not holding runners), and he fought the changes and didn't think they would work for him, and then you see the result...I'd be mad too. I'm sure it's not the first time a PC and a young pitcher didn't see eye to eye. Then magically the PC quits and goes to work for another team?? The whole situation is pretty messed up, and I'd love to know what REALLY happened.

I still tend to think that it all started from the changes in ST, then the injury and trying to come back too soon. Everything was handled poorly with him this season I think, and I'm really hoping to see him come back strong this season. I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't, he's a really good kid.

I don't remember him saying he was mentally unprepared, I guess I missed that, but the whole pitching coach mess, is a big problem that just got swept away like nothing happened. I wasn't there, so I'm just making educated guesses, BUT if Matusz was being forced to change things (and I'm sure he was as much as Buck cried about him not holding runners), and he fought the changes and didn't think they would work for him, and then you see the result...I'd be mad too. I'm sure it's not the first time a PC and a young pitcher didn't see eye to eye. Then magically the PC quits and goes to work for another team?? The whole situation is pretty messed up, and I'd love to know what REALLY happened.

I still tend to think that it all started from the changes in ST, then the injury and trying to come back too soon. Everything was handled poorly with him this season I think, and I'm really hoping to see him come back strong this season. I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't, he's a really good kid.

Yeah, I don't know. I suspect it's more than just holding runners, but I haven't seen anything concrete that they changed with his mechanics. Maybe they wanted him to lengthen his stride which seams abnormally short. I don't know. Connor isn't the first experienced pitching coach to say our Minor League pitchers aren't adequately prepared. The pitchers holding runners better seemed to have paid of for Wieters last year. I think you have to look at it in that context too. It's something they need to do.

I just think he came off as a whiner.

Archived