It finally happened...

Birds of B'more

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like an angry Terps fan got to Edsall's Wikipedia page too (I promise it wasn't me).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Edsall

Edsall was hired after the 2010 firing of Maryland alumnus Ralph Friedgen. Former Texas Tech Head Coach Mike Leach had also been linked to the Terps opening, however Edsall was hired for his success (?) at UConn. In Edsall's inaugural season, the Terps finished a disappointing 2-10, following an eight game losing streak. His contract guarantees him $10 million through the 2015 season. At Maryland, in addition to his coaching responsibilities, he moonlights as the warden of the Gossett State Penitentiary ("GSP"). The day after his team's final loss of the season, in which Maryland surrendered 42 unanswered points to lose the game after being in the lead 41-14 in the third quarter, respected sports columnist John Feinstein wrote a blistering takedown urging the University of Maryland to fire Edsall immediately, citing Edsall's numerous personality defects as the reasons for his coaching failure.

:laughlol:

Well, since Edsall has a track record of winning in the regular and post-season at Maryland like Friedgen did it's obviously the exact same situation.

Edsall hasn't had the chance yet. His worst season at Maryland so far has match Fridge's worst. Let's see how the next few seasons go.

Edsall hasn't had the chance yet. His worst season at Maryland so far has match Fridge's worst. Let's see how the next few seasons go.

Sure. My point, though, is that Friedgen had something tangible to back up returning after that season. Though, I remember that the assumption at the time was that Friedgen would have been ousted then if he wasn't so expensive and if they thought Franklin was the guy, so maybe that really didn't matter much.

Edsall isn't getting fired this year. He'll get at least one more season. However, he really does need to do a couple things this off-season. He needs to figure out what went wrong on the field this year and do what he can to correct those problems with the players he has after graduations and transfers and those he wants to play as freshmen. He also needs to find some way to connect with the media and fans (especially the boosters and ticket-buyers) and get his plan across, because that has been a major failure--maybe THE major failure--of his early tenure in College Park.

This can get worse, and right now the only two people that can make it better are Anderson, by finding a new coach, and Edsall, by figuring things out. Since replacement isn't a realistic option it is all on him.

There is a part of me that does feel sorry for him. As annoying as it became in every broadcast, the fact that this IS his "dream job" does hit home to me, and because of the absolutely awful way the university treated Friedgen and his firing, he did come in with the deck stacked against him. But that only goes so far, and the terrible performances by everyone connected to the football program over the past year, along with his treatment of the fans and media, pushes those feelings aside.

He gets the next year. He does something with it, great. He continues down this path, and he's gone. For the sake of the team, let's hope he does something.

For one, not for a second do I believe I guy who grew up in Pennsylvania and went to school at Syracuse came to Maryland because it was his dream job. It was his dream job only in that it got him out of Connecticut. This man of accountability and respect was in such a haste to get out, he couldn't even tell his players to their faces he was leaving. He had to do it over an airplane intercom.

Second, when Friedgen's team went 2-10 in 2009, they almost never got blown out, and never got run up on the way this team did this year. Compare the two seasons by the numbers, and the 2009 season is comparable only by the record, and not by any other measure.

I'm almost certain that you'll find out next year Maryland, which can't afford to fire Edsall, will have an even harder time finding a way to afford to keep him.

I've seen those rumors too, and as much as I'd like to believe them, I don't think it'll happen. I just can't see the school reacting like that, in such a proactive way. It's not the nature, there, when it comes to sports. But barring a substantial amount of improving, and by that I mean a bowl game and meaningful games in November, I think he's gone after next year.

I've seen those rumors too, and as much as I'd like to believe them, I don't think it'll happen. I just can't see the school reacting like that, in such a proactive way. It's not the nature, there, when it comes to sports. But barring a substantial amount of improving, and by that I mean a bowl game and meaningful games in November, I think he's gone after next year.

I simply don't think they can afford to fire him. I know that in the long run a new hire could lead to higher revenue but I think the University will look at the now.

Edsall's career record is now 76-80. Friedgen's was 75-50.

Edsall's UConn teams were Big East powerhouses, right? Wrong. He went 22-26 in the Big East. Edsall has NEVER coached a team that finished in the AP final top 25. Fridge went 34-27 in the much better ACC, and finished in the final top 25 4 times. And that includes one top 10 finish. Edsall is now 1-17 against the top 25 (about 5%). Friedgen had a 39% winning percentage, which isn't bad at all for a non-football power.

Okay, sure, Edsall's worst season record matches Friedgen's. What about his best? His best finish at UConn was 9-4. (his only 9 win season in FCS). Friedgen won 10 games 3 times (11 once), and 9 two other times.

BTW, comparing 2009 with this season is a bit misleading. The Terps graduated 30 seniors in 2008 and the '09 team was plagued with injuries. 5 of their losses were by less than a touchdown. That team was far more competitive than the '11 version.

Also, it's not just the record and play on the field with Edsall. He's alienated the players. He's alienated the fans. He blames Friedgen, the fans, a lack of talent, without shouldering any of the blame. He stiffs the media. He runs Gossett like a jailhouse. His staff is just awful, especially on the defensive side. His recruiting has been horrid (Ralph was consistently in the mid-20's, Edsall will be lucky to be top 50 next year). There is just little to defend the guy on.

Edsall's UConn teams were Big East powerhouses, right? Wrong. He went 22-26 in the Big East. Edsall has NEVER coached a team that finished in the AP final top 25. Fridge went 34-27 in the much better ACC, and finished in the final top 25 4 times. And that includes one top 10 finish. Edsall is now 1-17 against the top 25 (about 5%). Friedgen had a 39% winning percentage, which isn't bad at all for a non-football power.

Okay, sure, Edsall's worst season record matches Friedgen's. What about his best? His best finish at UConn was 9-4. (his only 9 win season in FCS). Friedgen won 10 games 3 times (11 once), and 9 two other times.

BTW, comparing 2009 with this season is a bit misleading. The Terps graduated 30 seniors in 2008 and the '09 team was plagued with injuries. 5 of their losses were by less than a touchdown. That team was far more competitive than the '11 version.

Also, it's not just the record and play on the field with Edsall. He's alienated the players. He's alienated the fans. He blames Friedgen, the fans, a lack of talent, without shouldering any of the blame. He stiffs the media. He runs Gossett like a jailhouse. His staff is just awful, especially on the defensive side. His recruiting has been horrid (Ralph was consistently in the mid-20's, Edsall will be lucky to be top 50 next year). There is just little to defend the guy on.

This is just the hammer post. Lock the thread.

I appreciate the effort here, but this entire post is flawed if you consider the situations the 2 coaches walked into.

Looking at career records is silly when you consider that Edsall transitioned a program into D1.

The ACC is not "much better" than the Big East. I thnk it probably is a little better, and theoretically should be a lot better, but FSU, Miami and others were "down" during most of the Fridge era.

You mention that Fridge won 10 games twice and 11 once. Of course, all came in the first 3 years. After Vanderlinden's players cycled through, those win totals dropped pretty quickly.

3 of the 4 top 25 finishes also came in that era. The other was last year when they finished a whopping 23rd. Whoppee.

You also mention Fridge's record in conference. Well, after those first 3 seasons, Ralph's teams went 24-32 in conference, good for a .429 win percentage. Compare that to Edsall's .458 while transitioning a team to D1 ball. For comparisons sake, our beloved Orioles went .431 over that time. That is to say, after Vanderlinden's players went through, Ralph's record in conference was worse than the Orioles.

As I've said repeatedly, I'm not trying to give Ralph no credit for those first three years. I think he's a good X and O guy. But he was not able to sustain anywhere near that level of success, and to continue to try to use those years as evidence of his success here is faulty, IMO.

I appreciate the effort here, but this entire post is flawed if you consider the situations the 2 coaches walked into.

Looking at career records is silly when you consider that Edsall transitioned a program into D1.

The ACC is not "much better" than the Big East. I thnk it probably is a little better, and theoretically should be a lot better, but FSU, Miami and others were "down" during most of the Fridge era.

You mention that Fridge won 10 games twice and 11 once. Of course, all came in the first 3 years. After Vanderlinden's players cycled through, those win totals dropped pretty quickly.

3 of the 4 top 25 finishes also came in that era. The other was last year when they finished a whopping 23rd. Whoppee.

You also mention Fridge's record in conference. Well, after those first 3 seasons, Ralph's teams went 24-32 in conference, good for a .429 win percentage. Compare that to Edsall's .458 while transitioning a team to D1 ball. For comparisons sake, our beloved Orioles went .431 over that time. That is to say, after Vanderlinden's players went through, Ralph's record in conference was worse than the Orioles.

As I've said repeatedly, I'm not trying to give Ralph no credit for those first three years. I think he's a good X and O guy. But he was not able to sustain anywhere near that level of success, and to continue to try to use those years as evidence of his success here is faulty, IMO.

It takes a lot of nuance, ad hominems, and white-out to defend Edsall against Friedgen, doesn't it!

Ralph was hardly handed those first 3 years on a silver platter. Ron Vanderlinden went 15-29 here with 4 consecutive losing seasons! And besides, the '03 team went 10-3 with what would have mathematically been only about 25% of Vandy's recruits (it was probably less). Vandy was a decent recruiter, yes. But Fridge was no slouch. Shawne Merriman, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Vernon Davis, D'Qwell Jackson, Josh Wilson, etc.

It takes a lot of nuance, ad hominems, and white-out to defend Edsall against Friedgen, doesn't it!

Um, no, not really. All I did was eliminate Ralph's first 3 years and make the same comparisons you made.

Ralph was hardly handed those first 3 years on a silver platter.

Didn't say he was. Like I said, I think he's a good X's and O's guy. But it's a very simple question - was he able to sustain that same level of success after the Vandy players went through? The answer is an obvious "no".

Ron Vanderlinden went 15-29 here with 4 consecutive losing seasons! And besides, the '03 team went 10-3 with what would have mathematically been only about 25% of Vandy's recruits (it was probably less). Vandy was a decent recruiter, yes. But Fridge was no slouch. Shawne Merriman, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Vernon Davis, D'Qwell Jackson, Josh Wilson, etc.

Yeah, Ralph brought in a few players in that had some NFL success. Pretty hard not to hit on some at a program like MD. His teams post-Vanderlinden didn't have much to show for it.

Archived