Orioles Reach Out To Prince Fielder's Representatives

FlyGy185

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really...Since you are treating this as a fact, I am sure you can back that up with actual evidence, right?

I'm just telling you what most observers of Rangers baseball saw over the last two years, and what was widely reported on game casts coinciding with mgmt's opinions of their defensive play.

What most of you are missing is the discussion of surplus value. Jones and Guthrie are good players, but they're also into their arb years. Guthrie is only under team control for one more season, Jones for two. Both of them will make a significant percentage of their open market value over their remaining time under contract.

Smoak isn't even arb eligible until 2014, and isn't a free agent until 2017. Gutierrez is signed through 2014 at a pretty reasonable $5M a year. Walker's clock hasn't even started, and won't for a while. It's not a stretch to think the package SG is proposing has more surplus value than a year of Guthrie at $7M-ish, and two years of Jones at maybe $13M total.

I'm just telling you what most observers of Rangers baseball saw over the last two years, and what was widely reported on game casts coinciding with mgmt's opinions of their defensive play.

This seems to say otherwise. http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=5127848

Even though Davis might have good/better MILB numbers, I can't fathom a scenario where Smoak only gets you half or 3/4 of Koji.

On a related note: Exactly how much would it take to sufficiently wine and dine Prince Fielder? On the one hand, our budget from the dinner alone would put us over 100 million but on the other hand the local economy in Balmer would see a boost.

Did you read the article? Hahaha. I mean, seriously, it in no way, shape, or form, gives any insight into their respective defensive abilities, or even the percetption of them.

Even though Davis might have good/better MILB numbers, I can't fathom a scenario where Smoak only gets you half or 3/4 of Koji.

Smoak's got more pedigree than Davis, and I think he's a better player ultimately. But that doesn't have much of a bearing on the conversation we're having.

Id argue that the deal could be done with Guthrie/Jones and a lesser second player.

That would be quite a deal. One year of Guthrie at ~$7M, plus a lesser player, for many years of Smoak at league minimum, Gutierrez at $5M, and Walker at league minimum. Depending on the throw in the Orioles would arguably be getting more immediate MLB talent and salary relief, not to mention the years of those players long after Guthrie has gone to free agency.

Archived