Orioles Reach Out To Prince Fielder's Representatives

FlyGy185

You have yet to explain how this is possible under our current budgetary restrictions, which we have no indication are changing (and we actually have clear indication from DD that our payroll will remain the same). Other than saying "well, maybe he'll change his mind", how do you see this realistically happening? Every single one of us would like to see Prince Fielder in the lineup, you aren't finding any disagreement there - the numbers just don't jive with reality.

What restrictions do we have?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What restrictions do we have?

You know, Peter Angelos, the owner of the team. He's owned the Orioles for almost two decades now and we've never had a payroll over $100 million. What evidence do you have that he's changed his mind and is now willing to spend loads of money on free agents?

You know, Peter Angelos, the owner of the team. He's owned the Orioles for almost two decades now and we've never had a payroll over $100 million. What evidence do you have that he's changed his mind and is now willing to spend loads of money on free agents?

Remember the value of the dollar has decreased, so a payroll in say 1990 that is say 80,000,000 maybe the equivalent to a 100,000,000 payroll in 2012

I think he can be convinced to go over 100 million.

Remember the value of the dollar has decreased, so a payroll in say 1990 that is say 80,000,000 maybe the equivalent to a 100,000,000 payroll in 2012

So you genuinely think Peter Angelos is willing to break the bank and increase our budget by $20-$25 million and he's just chosen not to? What's he waiting for?

I think he can be convinced to go over 100 million.

Well to get Prince Fielder alone the payroll would have to hover right under $100 million... how do you pay for the rest of the team? I thought you were against signing Fielder unless we could also improve the rest of the team around him?

Duquette never really committed 100 percent to the flat payroll. He was making an assumption and that was also before the new CBA which has altered teams' plans.

Uh, I believe you are the one who is making assumptions, and ludicrous ones at that. I seriously doubt the CBA (much of which was probably well known to MLB management before Duquette was hired) has any influence at all on the Orioles' plans regarding Fielder or other high-priced free agents. But please, go ahead and dream up your theories.

Now, as to whether the O's will pursue Fielder in any serious way, I doubt it, but I could see us "kicking the tires" just in case market forces lead in a direction where Fielder's demands become more reasonable.

So you genuinely think Peter Angelos is willing to break the bank and increase our budget by $20-$25 million and he's just chosen not to? What's he waiting for?

We made an offer to Tex that would have put our payroll over 100 million, but he declined it. Angleos will go over 100 million.

We made an offer to Tex that would have put our payroll over 100 million, but he declined it. Angleos will go over 100 million.

We made a token offer that was never taken seriously. The Tex drama aside, I guess you missed my edit, so answer this question for me:

Well to get Prince Fielder alone the payroll would have to hover right around $100 million... how do you pay for the rest of the team? I thought you were against signing Fielder unless we could also improve the rest of the team around him?

We made a token offer that was never taken seriously. The Tex drama aside, I guess you missed my edit, so answer this question for me:

Roberts contract will be coming of the books soon, as will Gregg's. Reynolds is getting expensive, and is being considered as a trade chip, as is Guthrie who is making just shy of 10 million, an is 33 years old. We can upgrade...

Archived