Orioles Reach Out To Prince Fielder's Representatives

FlyGy185

Duquette never really committed 100 percent to the flat payroll. He was making an assumption and that was also before the new CBA which has altered teams' plans.
Q: The Orioles had an $87 million dollar payroll last year. Is that going up or down?

Duquette: "Well, you know the team had a history of drawing over three million people in their heyday, back in the 90's. Last year they drew like a million-seven. They do have similarities to the Red Sox in that they have the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, so we have our own regional sports network. That gives us another revenue generator.

"But, I think it will probably be flat this year to the extent that we build the team, make it interesting and exciting and more people will come out. Then we'll have more resources to invest in the team.

source - Steve Melewski
Now, as to whether the O's will pursue Fielder in any serious way, I doubt it, but I could see us "kicking the tires" just in case market forces lead in a direction where Fielder's demands become more reasonable.
Of course they reached out to them.

Its called doing your due diligence.

I have said it many times...The Orioles will be a player for Fielder until a certain price...and then they won't be.

That price will get their quickly.

Kicking the tires on a Boras client; one that he has a 70-page sales brochure written about. Yeah, his market is sure to be small enough to stay within the Orioles budget...or not.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would it take to get Smoak
Well, what will Seattle want?

If they want pitching, TB is where Smoak will end up.

But they may not target pitching as they have a good staff and people coming up behind him.

Now, by that I mean they may not need pitching as the centerpiece.

I still say we try to send them Guthrie and Jones and they send us Guiterrez, Smoak and prospects. To me, that makes sense for both sides.

Well, what will Seattle want?

If they want pitching, TB is where Smoak will end up.

But they may not target pitching as they have a good staff and people coming up behind him.

Now, by that I mean they may not need pitching as the centerpiece.

I still say we try to send them Guthrie and Jones and they send us Guiterrez, Smoak and prospects. To me, that makes sense for both sides.

Or what about a Jones/JJ for those two and a prospect or two?

Roberts contract will be coming of the books soon, as will Gregg's. Reynolds is getting expensive, and is being considered as a trade chip, as is Guthrie who is making just shy of 10 million, an is 33 years old. We can upgrade...

So you would like to sign Prince Fielder but keep the payroll around $100 million? If nearly 25% of the payroll is devoted to our first baseman, we'll have to be pretty damn efficient with the other $75 million - not impossible but not something I can expect the Orioles to pull off without completely disregarding everything I know about this team.

Duquette never really committed 100 percent to the flat payroll. He was making an assumption and that was also before the new CBA which has altered teams' plans.
But, I think it will probably be flat this year to the extent that we build the team, make it interesting and exciting and more people will come out. Then we'll have more resources to invest in the team.

This isn't ambiguous. Duquette couldn't really be more explicit: He's following a plan that's 180 degrees out from what you're advocating. Flat payroll, add talent within that constraint, almost certainly no premium free agents, only adding payroll when fans come back to see the team he's built the right way.

That really couldn't be more clear.

Archived