Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, this is Buck's trade..that makes more sense since it was a poor move.

Calling it a poor move, is foolish. Its a big, fat, Meh move. I don't want to stand in the way of you criticizing for the sake of doing it, though. But to try to justify like we lost a guy who can easily be found on the scrap heap is a real reach.

Calling it a poor move, is foolish. Its a big, fat, Meh move. I don't want to stand in the way of you criticizing for the sake of doing it, though. But to try to justify like we lost a guy who can easily be found on the scrap heap is a real reach.

I guarantee by the end of the offseason, you will see some kind of a back up C acquired for less(either in trade or for little money) than what we gave up for TT.

I would prefer us to make smarter moves.

Of course, I have been complaining about this for years...Most of you think its nothing and now, we see Frobby start a thread about the importance of small moves.

To act as if they aren't important and don't show you bigger things is incredibly naive and that has been proven time and time again.

Put this another way...We just made a trade with a team that is far more intelligent that the Orioles. They gave up what some of you are calling such a valuable commodity and decided that the "dime a dozen" arm was better for them. Guess whose opinion I value more? Hint...its not the losing, pathetic franchise that shows no ability to build a pen.

Some of the opinions in here are so confrontational, so matter of fact, that have to imagine those folks' personal relationships are a hot mess. Of course, all this bluster could be internet posturing.

It's not unusual. Pretty amazing this particular topic has stirred it up so much emotion though.

It's not unusual. Pretty amazing this particular topic has stirred it up though.

The trade hopefully takes care of the back up catcher issue for a few years. If the dude catches a good game and gives us power, then great. You give up some unexceptional pitching and don't have to deal with this for three years, instead you can worry more about other stuff.

In terms of WAR, Tatum has been worth more than Teagarden the last 2 years...He has double the amount of at bats and has been worth double the amount of WAR.

So basically, there has been no difference between the 2 the last 2 seasons combined.

So, why are people so happy that we gave up a good arm that has stats that you like to see out of a relief prospect(minus the big time K numbers) and another prospect for someone who hasn't been any better than Tatum the last 2 seasons?

The trade hopefully takes care of the back up catcher issue for a few years. If the dude catches a good game and gives us power, then great. You give up some unexceptional pitching and don't have to deal with this for three years, instead you can worry more about other stuff.

Right. He's ML ready, has some positives, and the guy we're talking about is in A ball with BP upside. BP guys (and he's not even one yet) may be almost as easy to replace as the backup catcher. Not sure what all the hubbub is about.

In terms of WAR, Tatum has been worth more than Teagarden the last 2 years...He has double the amount of at bats and has been worth double the amount of WAR.

So basically, there has been no difference between the 2 the last 2 seasons combined.

So, why are people so happy that we gave up a good arm that has stats that you like to see out of a relief prospect(minus the big time K numbers) and another prospect for someone who hasn't been any better than Tatum the last 2 seasons?

Because he's a low-upside (i.e., middle relief) arm below AA with significant injury issues that we traded for (marginal) MLB value at a position of need. It's not hard.

I don't love it, but if the cost of a guy Buck personally identified is Randy Henry, I'm not going to get too worked up over it.

You can't maximize every trade. Trying to is one reason why trades don't get done. To your frequent and very very vocal chagrin.

This is a good read: www.law.uchicago.edu/files/files/vermeule-occasional.pdf

Careful, the link is a PDF.

Yes, I felt this was a lateral move. It didn't make us better, it didn't make us worse. We had the same player in Tatum and he was let go for free. Except with this guy, we had to give up somebody.

Though, I'm glad to have him aboard. When do you think we'll be calling ourselves the Baltimore Rangers?

Am I wrong to assume Teagarden had a higher WAR last year? I only suppose this because you are specific about it being the last two years combined. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Right. He's ML ready, has some positives, and the guy we're talking about is in A ball with BP upside. BP guys (and he's not even one yet) may be almost as easy to replace as the backup catcher. Not sure what all the hubbub is about.

I would rather have the BP arm personally, especially one that has exhibited the attributes Henry has and especially since you can acquire a back up C for less.

I would rather have the BP arm personally, especially one that has exhibited the attributes Henry has and especially since you can acquire a back up C for less.

He's not a bullpen arm, though. He's a potential bullpen arm. You need to discount accordingly.

Archived