Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's Randy Henry.

Edit: Tony had him rated as the #22 prospect

Not sure how much I like this. Henry had good K, HR and BB numbers this year and appears to keep the ball on the ground.

Appears to be an excellent target for Texas and a potential future BP arm.

I actually think I would prefer to have Henry in the organization than Teagarden.

It's Randy Henry.

Edit: Tony had him rated as the #22 prospect

Yeah, I guess we will wait and see who the other prospect is, but I am actually a little disappointed in giving up Henry. He was a guy I was banking on being in the bullpen in 2 years. I would have rather it been Jarret Martin...

Not sure how much I like this. Henry had good K, HR and BB numbers this year and appears to keep the ball on the ground.

Appears to be an excellent target for Texas and a potential future BP arm.

I actually think I would prefer to have Henry in the organization than Teagarden.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. Teagarden is a standard backup catcher type that could be signed as a FA.

Now I'm kind of confused. Why give up any kind of prospect for a 28-year-old backup catcher...who's backing up arguably the best position player on your team?

And who has been really bad offensively.

I don't know, I get the idea of why you go after Teagarden...I don't get the idea of giving up a young, capable pitcher with good BP upside to do it.

I think this is another guy that we fluffed up on this site, but with little liklihood of advancing beyond middle reliever. Decent fastball, but average secondaries. Seems to not have the build to be a starter.

I'm guessing a lot of us were pinning our hopes on the 10-20% chance he overcomes his health/endurance/stuff issues and hits it as a starter.

Now I'm kind of confused. Why give up any kind of prospect for a 28-year-old backup catcher...who's backing up arguably the best position player on your team?

Catcher is also the position you most need a decent backup for. Anyone know what Teagarden's defensive ability is? If he's a good defensive guy with AAA pop, I'm down with this move - you can't keep everyone. If not, it is a questionable one.

Okay, apparently Teagarden is well-regarded defensively:

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/2009-impact-rookie-taylor-teagarden/

Regardless of his offensive contributions, the Texas native will be a valuable MLB catcher based solely on his defense. Teagarden was considered the best defensive catcher in college in 2005 ? and possibly in the entire draft that season. In fact, some scouts had serious questions about his ability to hit professional pitching, but almost everyone agreed that he would play in the Majors thanks to his potential Gold Glove defense. He is also a leader on the field and throws well (38% caught stealing in 2008).

I feel better about the move now. Defense is so important at C.

Archived