Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a reliever. One of the most fungible properties in baseball. And didnt we just draft another 50 of them...

Point is, we got a young, defensively talented catcher with offensive upside...probably one of the least fungable assets in baseball.

It's a win for me.

Agreed. I could lie and say I knew Henry's stats before this thread popped up, but I didn't. And I'm not exactly a casual fan. So to get a defensively solid young catcher - who hit 20 HRs one year in the minors and has yet to gain many MLB at bats - that's a great little move, IMO. (I'll invoke the SSS caveat here, but in Tea's defense... He could have offensive upside, in other words). Not sexy, at all. But this is a move by a man who understands that putting a respectable product on the field NEXT YEAR is priority #1. Your MLB team simply cannot be the second priority within the organization.

I agree, but these types of catchers are available all the time. Not sure why we would trade a guy like Henry for a backup catcher.

Right...and even if you get someone slightly worse defensively, it is worth it to keep Henry in the system.

To me, this trade is a bit of a head scratcher.

Now, Henry did have some arm trouble this year but still, I would have kept him instead of making this deal.

I agree, but these types of catchers are available all the time. Not sure why we would trade a guy like Henry for a backup catcher.

Well, he's the #22 ranked prospect in a weak system. How much impact is he going to make? Besides, are plus-plus defense catchers really available all the time? I don't think they are.

Well, he's the #22 ranked prospect in a weak system. How much impact is he going to make? Besides, are plus-plus defense catchers really available all the time? I don't think they are.

I'll take any free agent, decent-fielding catcher over giving up a live arm any day. Teagarden is going to catch 35 games at most...

Right...and even if you get someone slightly worse defensively, it is worth it to keep Henry in the system.

To me, this trade is a bit of a head scratcher. Its not horrible but it just isn't something that they should have done.

Now, Henry did have some arm trouble this year but still, I would have kept him instead of making this deal.

It's a head scratcher when you arrive at your conclusion: Backup catcher for young RP with upside.

Aren't you guys usually big on the sample size argument? Less than 400 PA and you have your conclusion about his value? I realize is MiL stats aren't mind blowing, but they do show more potential than you are allowing for. Perhaps the FO see's it differently which is why you are confused.

It's a head scratcher when you arrive at your conclusion: Backup catcher for young RP with upside.

Aren't you guys usually big on the sample size argument? Less than 400 PA and you have your conclusion about his value? I realize is MiL stats aren't mind blowing, but they do show more potential than you are allowing for. Perhaps the FO see's it differently which is why you are confused.

I have already said I like his BB rates and have said that he has good upside.

I am not ignoring any of that.

But even with that, I still prefer Henry over him.

I have already said I like his BB rates and have said that he has good upside.

I am not ignoring any of that.

But even with that, I still prefer Henry over him.

Sorry I missed those comments. Would be nice to find out later that Koji is part of the deal.

I feel like there's a lot of this going on:

"Hmm, we gave up Randy Henry. Um..."

(looks up who Randy Henry is)

"NO! NOT RANDY HENRY! HOW COULD THEY??"

Not that nobody knew who Henry was before, but I feel like there's an awful lot of hand-wringing about a guy who (as Slappy mentioned) wasn't even in Tony's top 20 prospects for a team with a weak farm system. I'm fine with giving up a guy like that for a player who could provide some value for the Orioles over the next three years. Granted, a backup catcher's value is inherently limited, but since we have to have one, Teagarden's a good one to have.

Sorry I missed those comments. Would be nice to find out later that Koji is part of the deal.

He's not..even if he was, i still wouldn't like it.

Henry has a lot of upside...A 5:1 K/bb ratio, allowed 3 homers all year and had a high GO/AO ratio? Sign me up for guys like that all day long, especially if his fastball is what Goldstein said it was.

Texas got the better end of this deal.

Archived