Heath Bell to the Marlins

lovetoaster

I still don't understand why teams with limited incomes spend so much money on closers. Even though the Marlins are getting a new stadium, it just doesn't make sense to throw that kind of money at a closer. Mind-boggling...

It does not make sense to me either. They certainly do not have limitless resources and it just seems like they would be better spent elsewhere.

I still don't understand why teams with limited incomes spend so much money on closers. Even though the Marlins are getting a new stadium, it just doesn't make sense to throw that kind of money at a closer. Mind-boggling...

For the same reason that most people still believe having someone with the title "closer", particularly one who has held the role in the past (performance-be-damned), is critical to winning games.

Loria has owned this team for about 10 years. The payroll has been constantly been near the bottom of MLB (except n 2005 when they were toward the middle of the pack). Can someone explain to me what's up with this team and all of this proposed spending on FA? Are they just expecting crazy additional revenue from the new stadium?

Loria has owned this team for about 10 years. The payroll has been constantly been near the bottom of MLB (except n 2005 when they were toward the middle of the pack). Can someone explain to me what's up with this team and all of this proposed spending on FA? Are they just expecting crazy additional revenue from the new stadium?

This has always been the Marlins M.O. Have a spending spree, win the World Series, then have a firesale.

They've been on food stamps for 10 years, just stumbled upon a $100k scratch-off lotto ticket, and are in the process of spending $200k on cool new stuff.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this investigation. The whole stadium deal was ridiculous. The location is horrible. What they did in using the old Orange Bowl site will alienate the fans in Palm Beach County and half of Broward county. Weeknights people will not deal with the traffic just to go to a Marlins game.

Parking was horrible at the Orange Bowl. Combine that with the weekday traffic hassles and you lose a couple million potential fans who could go to the games. I had a senior citizen I would get club level tix from (he had a senior package for like half of face value) and he and the other guys around him are not renewing their ticket plans. Too much hassle with parking and traffic to go on weeknights. These guys paid $60 for 2 club level seats + parking, per game. 30 or 40 game package sitting in the INF between home and first.

The Marlins are hoping to BOOST the excitement with the new stadium by this spending spree in FA. If it works, chances are it will be short lived. While they will never admit it publically they know that Orange Bowl site is a horrible location. Within 10 years, probably less it would not come as a shock to hear threats of leaving Miami because no fans come to the games - AGAIN. The city of Miami was foolish to play their part.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this investigation. The whole stadium deal was ridiculous. The location is horrible. What they did in using the old Orange Bowl site will alienate the fans in Palm Beach County and half of Broward county. Weeknights people will not deal with the traffic just to go to a Marlins game.

Parking was horrible at the Orange Bowl. Combine that with the weekday traffic hassles and you lose a couple million potential fans who could go to the games. I had a senior citizen I would get club level tix from (he had a senior package for like half of face value) and he and the other guys around him are not renewing their ticket plans. Too much hassle with parking and traffic to go on weeknights. These guys paid $60 for 2 club level seats + parking, per game. 30 or 40 game package sitting in the INF between home and first.

The Marlins are hoping to BOOST the excitement with the new stadium by this spending spree in FA. If it works, chances are it will be short lived. While they will never admit it publically they know that Orange Bowl site is a horrible location. Within 10 years, probably less it would not come as a shock to hear threats of leaving Miami because no fans come to the games - AGAIN. The city of Miami was foolish to play their part.

While I think the county is likely going to wind up taking a bath on this deal, isn't one of the reasons Sun Life is so terrible is that it's off by itself set in a sea of parking lots? Makes it easy to park, I guess, but just looking at sat photos of Little Havana it looks like a much more walkable and interesting neighborhood, and much closer to downtown. That said, you definitely still need a way for people to get to the games. Very few people are going to walk to a baseball game no matter where it is. I also have no idea about how safe the area is, having never been there.

Has there been any discussion at all of running a transit expansion in that direction? You guys only have one Metro line, right, running north-south? And a couple of people movers or something?

Archived