Will Duquette trade Markakis?

33rdst

Did Trea or I say anything about a MVP? No. However, Jones is a guy that you build around, while Markakis isn't. He hasn't and won't return to his 08 form, with the way he "works out" in the offseason.

We never said that Jones is going to be the next MVP, or HOFer. What Jones IS and WILL be is a GREAT guy to build your team around.

What has Markakis improved on since 2008? Actually, IIRC his walk rate was down this past year, no?

I guess what I'm not seeing from Jones is the peak year that everyone saw from Markakis at 25. Nick had an amazing year at age 25 and hasn't followed that up. Jones has both improved and regressed in different areas since her can me into the league basically putting his overall value flat since he came onto the league. Whether or not you think Jones is improving seems to be completely dependent on which parts of the player valuation you value the most.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay and since you and Moose feel the need that we have to have an ELITE player to build around why are we all against signing Fielder? He is an "Elite" player, no?

For how long though? How much would it take to bring him to the O's? Will it cripple our payroll? How long will he be Elite? With his body type its hard to judge he could be his father or he could be Ortiz. Is it worth the risk to find out when we could do other things to bring in Elite talent.

Jones is younger. Jones can lead a club (vocally). Jones is improving.

Marakis is older. Markakis isn't a leader. Markakis is declining.

Who do you like better again?

I've already laid out to you that Jones has improved marginally in some areas and arguably declined in others. Some people on this board will probably argue that he hasn't improved at all.

Markakis is two years older, but again that doesn't prove anything as baseball players typically peak in their 30-32 years. Two years is a giant difference when talking about prospects but these are both guys who have multiple MLB seasons under their belts and have years to go before hitting their 30-32 seasons. Yes, Nick has declined but he also played the last month and a half of 2011 with a nasty injury unbeknownst to just about everyone and didn't say two words about it.

Once again you've failed to illustrate how Jones has made significant game changing improvements. He's made slight improvements but hasn't taken a step a bona-fide stud that you'd build your team around would, like Matt Kemp this year or Griffey Jr did in 93 when he found his power stroke.

Don't tell me you buy into that vocal leader crap. You probably would have been one of those people back in the day saying Ripken wasn't a leader because he wasn't vocal. Big deal, he's got a twitter and occasionally stirs the pot with some questionable interviews that ruffle the feathers of the good ship lollipop...some leadership for a last place team.

Okay and since you and Moose feel the need that we have to have an ELITE player to build around why are we all against signing Fielder? He is an "Elite" player, no?

He certainly is an elite player but I don't see what adding an elite player to a 69 win team does. I'd be inclined to agree with you if this was a 94 win team and we had finished 3rd in our division...kind of like how the Orioles went out in the offseason after 1965 and picked up Frank Robinson.

THAT is the time to add someone like Prince Fielder. Or the 2001 Red Sox who went out and got Manny Ramirez because they felt that they were on the verge of something big and needed a shot in the arm to get over the hump. There are plenty of examples of 85-95 win teams that have gone out and picked up a big time bat or arm in order to get them over the hump.

Not a 69 win #@&*kicking team who would be damn lucky to win 78 games next year if everything breaks right. This team is so far removed from contention you'd waste the first 2-3 years of Fielder's contract on more crap baseball.

If you can't comprehend why this would be a dumb time to get Prince Fielder than we should just agree to disagree and move on. Clearly neither one of us are changing the others minds.

At first I thought Trea might actually have added another user account. However after further review I wouldnsay the newer poster is too flamboyant to actually be the same person.

I agree the Orioles don't have one elite player and I've said that all along except I used the word "STAR" .... The Orioles don't have many above average players. While Id like to add Fielder personally I think it would take quite a few high profile names to really see a substantial difference. I think Angelos has been tucking away cash since the late 90'S so he certainly could pull some out. I certainly am not going to be disappointed with the lack of star talent added this off season ...It will just be more of the same old same old.

As far as Jones and Markakis they should really trade both and improve the bucket of prospects. that said all this talk about. 26 year player not yet peaking and a 27 year old peaking a few seasons ago is rubbish. Markakis could have a career year this next season and it would be just as likely as Jones dropping a season where he hits .240.

Good Lord, no...I don't think so, anyway.

Hyperbolic point was there are LOTS of things that don't have anything to do with offseason prep that could lead to lackluster on-field performances.

Hah ok lol that's what drinking and watching College football will do to you. I take everything literally as the airplane flies over my head.

Archived