Tracking O's Minor League Offseason Moves

Oldorioles

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I updated everything.

Also, there will definitely be some cuts coming in spring training. If you look at the OP and do some simple math, the O's have added somewhere around 36 minor leaguers. These can be broken down as 10 international (I'm counting Aldridge since he last played overseas, but not Chen or Wada since they got major league deals), 10 from other minor league teams, 3 from independent ball, and three with no previous history. The O's have shed approximately 23 minor leaguers. These can be broken down into 13 that signed with another team and 10 that are still minor league fre agents.

So, we've netted about 13 extra players. They'll also need to free up spots for guys who didn't play last year and are likely to start on a full-season team (D. Bundy, Esposito, Delmonico). There's only so many spots avialble, so it'll be interesting to watch it all unfold.

I updated everything.

Also, there will definitely be some cuts coming in spring training. If you look at the OP and do some simple math, the O's have added somewhere around 36 minor leaguers. These can be broken down as 10 international (I'm counting Aldridge since he last played overseas, but not Chen or Wada since they got major league deals), 10 from other minor league teams, 3 from independent ball, and three with no previous history. The O's have shed approximately 23 minor leaguers. These can be broken down into 13 that signed with another team and 10 that are still minor league fre agents.

So, we've netted about 13 extra players. They'll also need to free up spots for guys who didn't play last year and are likely to start on a full-season team (D. Bundy, Esposito, Delmonico). There's only so many spots avialble, so it'll be interesting to watch it all unfold.

I don't think most of the international signings will be in the US this year and will be at various academies and summer leagues or extended spring training. My guess is the Orioles will trim some fat, but I don't think it will be significant. I seem to always go into every minor league spring training expecting to see significant cuts(especially when the Orioles dropped Bluefield). Seem like they keep players in Extended Spring and just add them when they make cuts on teams during the year pending on performance.

First small wave of cuts occurred according to baseballamerica. We cut:

Nate Nery (he was injured all last year)

Pedro Rodriguez

Moises Ciriaco

Rojean Cleofa

Martin Serrata

All four hitters had terrible hitting stats, in fact Serrata was the only one to post an OPS over 500 (barely). I think I recall Tony having a nice thing or two to say about Serrata at one time but certainly for the rest look like it was time to move on and free up some spaces. Speaking of which, we also added 2B Chris Tremblay according to the same source.

Archived