Marlins Interested in Wilson Even if They Get Pujols

erb8472

I honestly don't get how the Marlins suddenly have hundreds of millions of dollars to spend. I realize that the new stadium will probably boost attendance significantly, and it is always good policy to try to have a winning ballclub when a team moves into its new home to try to retain the new fans who come out. But the amount the Marlins seem willing to spend all of a sudden, after years at the very bottom of the payroll list, is astonishing. Somebody needs to explain the economics of this.

I honestly don't get how the Marlins suddenly have hundreds of millions of dollars to spend. I realize that the new stadium will probably boost attendance significantly, and it is always good policy to try to have a winning ballclub when a team moves into its new home to try to retain the new fans who come out. But the amount the Marlins seem willing to spend all of a sudden, after years at the very bottom of the payroll list, is astonishing. Somebody needs to explain the economics of this.

Didn't they go on a big spree in '97 and then have a fire sale after they won the World Series? But that looks like nothing to now. Can't explain the economics of this since it's insanity but I am sure they will feel it's worth it if they win big.

Loria stripped the Expos clean, and has been taking in money from MLB while not paying out anything in payroll. Now he's willing to break his piggy bank on hopes of leveraging this investment into even more with a winning team in a new stadium.

The firesales following both the 1997 and 2005 seasons were largely motivated by the failures to secure public financing for a new ballpark. Huzienga and Loria were both too optimistic in assuming that if they expanded payroll, they would generate enough public support to get stadium deals. Now that hurdle for them has already been crossed.

However, they are gambling on the level of fan support they will get coming out to the new park. They seem to be banking on a total of 3 million fans per season. With a beautiful, new, climate controlled facility opening and the addition of these marquee free agents, it's not out of the question that the Marlins start averaging 35,000 fans a night.

I heard their new stadium sits about 35,000. I bet they could sell out if they get all these guys, but would it be enough to make a good profit?

The official capacity is closer to 37,000, which means that the team does not expect to be selling out every game.

I'm sure they have made revenue projections based on season ticket sales and expected gate sales to justify their level of spending. However, there is absolutely some risk still involved.

Archived