On the Record: Better pitchers available that could be had for free instead of Eveland

Tony-OH

There are free agents out there better than Eveland, with no trade involved, such as Roy Oswalt. Am I understanding the question correctly that this is not what you're looking for the "GMs" to identify?
How much do you think it would take to get Oswalt to sign here? Or are you joking again?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread can't last long, so I'll make my attempt. My goal wouldn't be to trade actual prospects or a player like this. If you can't get them for next to nothing then sign someone like Kazmir, Francis, Pinera etc. or go after a higher tiered guy for a bit more.

If the goal is to bring in the most talent and maximized our resources we can't give up value at all if we aren't bringing in real value. If this is the value you are looking for (Eveland-like pitchers), there's better ways to get them than giving up players that could be packaged or added to packages to bring back the most talent.

How much do you think it would take to get Oswalt to sign here? Or are you joking again?
I didn't realize that Eveland wasn't going to be paid a salary. Why are Oswalt's salary demands a factor? I thought the issue was someone we could acquire without making a trade (as in free).

This thread can't last long, so I'll make my attempt. My goal wouldn't be to trade actual prospects or a player like this. If you can't get them for next to nothing then sign someone like Kazmir, Francis, Pinera etc. or go after a higher tiered guy for a bit more.

If the goal is to bring in the most talent and maximized our resources we can't give up value at all if we aren't bringing in real value. If this is the value you are looking for (Eveland-like pitchers), there's better ways to get them than giving up players that could be packaged or added to packages to bring back the most talent.

This speculation assumes the players we traded have a higher value in the mind of at least one other GM than what we got for them. Could be, but we don't know.

What does this have to do with anything at all?

And way to avoid the question too!

You're asking me to choose between your opinion and the people that get paid to make these decisions... what are your credentials? And speaking of avoiding the question....

This speculation assumes the players we traded have a higher value in the mind of at least one other GM than what we got for them. Could be, but we don't know.

I am not saying otherwise, if I want Eveland and that's the asking price I move on and find that sort of pitcher elsewhere. Then when I make a real trade I have guys like the ones we are trading to add, to sweeten.

CJ Wilson and Darvish come to mind right off the bat. But I never said for free. Anyway the Orioles did one thing right this offseason. They interviewed someone for GM who signed Pujlos and CJ. Unfortuntately they choose their GM's the same way they choose their players. Get soemone no one else wants.

You're asking me to choose between your opinion and the people that get paid to make these decisions... what are your credentials? And speaking of avoiding the question....

Because the people making the decisions have proven so adept at building a winning team the last, oh, 15 years?

I didn't realize that Eveland wasn't going to be paid a salary. Why are Oswalt's salary demands a factor? I thought the issue was someone we could acquire without making a trade (as in free).

I think the qualification would be to an equivalency in term and compensation, and also doing the acquisition in a way that no valuable member of the 40 man roster was lost in the process. As will have to be done to add a free player. SO figure out who you will drop and then if the compensation will be somewhat equivalent and then I think it qualifies.

Archived