On the Record: Better pitchers available that could be had for free instead of Eveland

Tony-OH

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand how anyone could mistake this for strategy rather than the byproduct of having a terrible, penny-pinching owner. It's not like Duquette has access to the Angelos vault and he's just choosing to be cheap.

Sure it is. Andy MacPhail was the guy who refused to spend it. Now we gots this high roller.

Eveland might not even make the team after spring training.

Let's just say the Orioles do not acquire any other Starting pitchers or trade any. If this is the case we still have guys that are 1) better than Eveland or 2) that I would rather see giving a chance to start.

1) Guthrie

2) Britton

3) Hunter

4) Matusz

5) Arrieta

6) Tillman

7) Simon

This is why I don't like this trade. We do have plenty of Dana Eveland's on our staff already. We need to upgrade our staff to a point that we knock all of these pitchers down a notch and that's how you create depth. Throwing out names of Dana Eveland type starters that we could aquire isn't going to accomplish anything. If there are honestly trade options available for Gavin Floyd or a similar pitcher we should make those deals depending on what we have to give up of course. As far as FA's we should spend some freaking money and ante up to get some real talent in here. Yes, we are going to have to overpay but so be it. I'll take Edwin Jackson right now.

Dana Eveland does nothing to make us a better team. As I said in another thread he is the type of 5th starter that you expect to see on a last place team.

Kyle Davies, Zach Duke, and Mitch Talbot are all pitchers comparable to Eveland that are free agents. I don't want any of them either unless its to a minor league contract which Eveland is not.

Did anyone really think Hensen would amount to anything?? He was seen as a warm body taking up space and was moved accordingly to get depth where needed. Same goes for the other guy in the trade.

The only real downside here is that he has no options. Otherwise, we got him for free.

Maybe the question should be how many SP better than Eveland, can you get for a package of Martin, Hensen and Eyre?

Who cares. Does Eveland help our team? If not you don't make the trade! All you are doing is taking away spots from your 40 man roster!!!

Did anyone really think Hensen would amount to anything?? He was seen as a warm body taking up space and was moved accordingly to get depth where needed. Same goes for the other guy in the trade.

The only real downside here is that he has no options. Otherwise, we got him for free.

The bolded part could be said of the larger majority of our MiL players,

First, I hope Eveland wins the Cy Young this year. I'd settle for a Bruce Chen like season. Having said that....

I'm not particularly interested in competing on how good I am at picking the 7th man in our bullpen. Nor am I going to give DD kudos if our backup catcher is better than the other teams.

I don't care.

Not even a little. If Eveland is better than Jo Jo Reyes and Slowey and [insert name here] is irrelevant if they all are essentially replacement players.

If we were the Rays or Jays or other team with realistic designs on winning in 2012 marginal gains from your 7th guy in the bullpen or backup catcher may matter a lot.

When your team stinks and has few prospects in its system, your backup catcher and 7th bullpen guy don't matter big picture. More importantly, I believe you don't throw away even C prospects to acquire fringe major leaguers.

I would much rather see Chris Tillman in the rotation taking a regular turn, give him structure and the chance to make adjustments. And if he pitches to a 6 ERA and Eveland would have pitched to a 5 ERA -- I'm fine with that.

I find the premise of this thread entertaining and hilarious. I am not on the call out list, however, came up with this list of pitchers to narrow to field. I have not considered availability:

For single seasons, From 2010 to 2011, From Age 25 to 32, Active Players, (requiring earned_run_avg_plus>=70, earned_run_avg_plus<=90 and At least 100 Innings Pitched), sorted by greatest Adjusted ERA+

Player ages are computed as their age on June 30th

<iframe src="http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/share.cgi?id=SIsPH&output=iframe" width=727 height=1434 scrolling=auto>

Report Created on <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/">Baseball-Reference.com</a>

</iframe>

First, I hope Eveland wins the Cy Young this year. I'd settle for a Bruce Chen like season. Having said that....

I'm not particularly interested in competing on how good I am at picking the 7th man in our bullpen. Nor am I going to give DD kudos if our backup catcher is better than the other teams.

I don't care.

Not even a little. If Eveland is better than Jo Jo Reyes and Slowey and [insert name here] is irrelevant if they all are essentially replacement players.

If we were the Rays or Jays or other team with realistic designs on winning in 2012 marginal gains from your 7th guy in the bullpen or backup catcher may matter a lot.

When your team stinks and has few prospects in its system, your backup catcher and 7th bullpen guy don't matter big picture. More importantly, I believe you don't throw away even C prospects to acquire fringe major leaguers.

I would much rather see Chris Tillman in the rotation taking a regular turn, give him structure and the chance to make adjustments. And if he pitches to a 6 ERA and Eveland would have pitched to a 5 ERA -- I'm fine with that.

I absolutely agree with everything here.

Ok, it's time for you evaluators out there to put up or shut up about the Eveland trade. I've seen things thrown around that suggest you can shake a tree and ten Eveland's fall out or that you can find a guy like Eveland anytime and that there are many available right now for free.

So here's your mission:

Put down the names of pitchers who will be better than Eveland in 2012 who are available for free right now. You can even put down pitchers you believe will be DFA'd or non-tendered before arbitration.

Here are the posters that believe they are smarter than DD and his staff on this trade: 9brady,

atomic,

blid,

bOhs01,

Brian88,

ChaosLex,

ChrisAF79,

dabirds,

Dipper9,

DoobyDoo,

Dwight Schrute,

Enjoy Terror,

Florida_Osfan,

gfrank,

glenn__davis,

JamesI,

JanJaap,

JayGibbons31,

LookinUp,

lovetoaster,

mazarelo,

MikeAD,

Mongolbird,

nevadaO,

NewMarketSean,

PaulFolk,

playbaltimorecom,

sakata_catching,

Singleton,

Sports Guy,

square634,

SteveA,

SurhoffRules,

utvolzac,

WORST OWNER

I expect that each of you will have no problems finding these pitchers so put it down on record and at the end of next year, we'll see if you or DD was right. since this was such a horrible trade and since Eveland is such "trash," this should be simple endeavor.

Let's not rehash the trade in this thread, it's just for you to go on record with your choices. You don't have to add analysis to each pitcher if you don't want to, just the names are fine. Also, if you didn't like the trade because of what we gave up, please tell us what you think the players traded will become in the major leagues.

So since you have such an agenda about this let me pose this very simple question for you. If Eveland was a free agent right now do you think he would be the top guy available of the list of free agents available?

That's basically what you are saying here and he would be very very low on the list and would more then likely as a free agent only get a non guarantee'd contract before the year.

Archived