Dave Cameron: Big Ticket Signings Don't Drive Attendance

SrMeowMeow

Spending big bucks on a premium FA is a good start to getting fans' interest back though because it signals you want to win now. And as it's been repeated, winning will sell tickets, as will the hope of winning.

But the infusion of talent on the team leads to excitement and excitement leads to motivation which will help lead to winning.

The Orioles will need to do a lot more than just sign Fielder, but if they do sign him, they are going to have to do more for it not to be a poor investment. It would be a move that would force them to compete where if they just try catching lightning in a bottle and fail, there's no real consequence other than continued attendance dropping.

Winning = fans attending games. Spending money on huge FA signings =/= winning. Therefore spending on big signings =/= fans attending games.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not pretending, it's called some of them have been or will be replaced by better talent. With the depth at 3B now, Josh Bell should be buried in Norfolk, and Brian Matusz will hopefully have to blow everybody away to win a spot on the roster otherwise he'll be ticketed for AAA. Felix Pie is also thankfully gone.

Yes, but to get to this 75 win team, you're pretending the O's won't have any negative WAR players and they will. Every team has them. Every team has them. Every team has them. Get it?

And if you're to apply this no negative WAR players theory to the Orioles, surely you'd apply it everyone else. If you do that, we're just as far behind as we were before your silly little numbers game.

Yes, but to get to this 75 win team, you're pretending the O's won't have any negative WAR players and they will. Every team has them. Every team has them. Every team has them. Get it?

And if you're to apply this no negative WAR players theory to the Orioles, surely you'd apply it everyone else. If you do that, we're just as far behind as we were before your silly little numbers game.

I know that teams are going to have sub-replacement talent, but the Orioles are one of the teams that can afford it the least because they don't have enough WAR coming from their top players.

But he still needs to acquire that premium talent in order to compensate for the sub-replacement players that we will inevitably have.

When did I say the Orioles weren't going to have any sub-replacement players?

The point is we should have fewer next season because Duquette is looking for quality depth now.

But we will still have it, which is why we need more premium talent to compensate for it.

And we have already 75 win talent on this team even though the record didn't show it. The other players dragged the team down. Now we need to have the talent level of a a 90 win team so when we do get dragged down again, it will only be to the mid-80s at worst.

When will the Orioles make the moves? Not just somestopgap but a true game changer.

Yes, win and the fans will come.

The Orioles can win..if they spend the money now.

Fans attendance first, then comes an investment. This has been Angelos' policy long before MASN and the arrival of the Nationals.
Q: The Orioles had an $87 million dollar payroll last year. Is that going up or down?

Duquette: "Well, you know the team had a history of drawing over three million people in their heyday, back in the 90's. Last year they drew like a million-seven. They do have similarities to the Red Sox in that they have the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, so we have our own regional sports network. That gives us another revenue generator.

"But, I think it will probably be flat this year to the extent that we build the team, make it interesting and exciting and more people will come out. Then we'll have more resources to invest in the team.

source - Steve Melewski

Duquette, during a recent interview on a Boston radio station, said the Orioles' payroll for 2012 would be "flat." I asked him if that meant in the same range as last year's payroll, which was in the neighborhood of $87 million.

"Right now, while we are putting our team together, that is what we are looking at," Duquette said. "If there were to be some opportunities in the market that would really help the ballclub, maybe we could go out and do something a little bit beyond that. Right now we have the resources, we have some payroll that has been freed up from some of the moves we made to invest to improve the team."

source - Steve Melewski

"Maybe... a little beyond that."

Spin away.

Winning = fans attending games. Spending money on huge FA signings =/= winning. Therefore spending on big signings =/= fans attending games.

If the team wins more than 85 games, fans will attend games. If the team spends money on huge (Prince Fielder), the team probably won't win more than 85 games. Therefore, spending money on huge (Prince Fielder) probably won't result in fans attending games.

Edited for logical precision :P

If the team wins more than 85 games, fans will attend games. If the team spends money on huge (Prince Fielder), the team probably won't win more than 85 games. Therefore, spending money on huge (Prince Fielder) probably won't result in fans attending games.

Haha, thanks for cleaning that up for me ;)

How will the team not win more than 85 games with Fielder and win more games without him?

Spreading the money out has failed every single time we've tried to do it. I know MacPhail isn't in charge any longer, but do you really trust the same method we've used over and over again?

Isn't it time to try something different?

How will the team not win more than 85 games with Fielder and win more games without him?

Spreading the money out has failed every single time we've tried to do it. I know MacPhail isn't in charge any longer, but do you really trust the same method we've used over and over again?

Isn't it time to try something different?

We tried the buying the big FA thing and that season we lost fans (Tejada). In the end they need to build a team they can win and win consistently with. I know you are impatient after all this time, and like I've said before, it's not that I disagree with your general idea. It's just the timing that tends to be the problem. Let's get some more talent infused in the high-A-AA area with some talented IFAs, have another solid draft this year, and develop the guys we have now a little to see how they respond. THEN let's start adding pieces.

OK, actually, side note. Take off the Orange colored glasses. Looking at the Nationals, what would your suggestion be for them to improve right now.

Archived