New Comments from Roberts in Roch's latest Blog.

DuffMan

So wait. 25 years ago isn't modern day? Ah, thats right. The MRI and Cat Scans weren't developed until like 2003 or so, right? I could see if you talking about a ballplayer from the 30's or so, but seriously, you don't think they had modern medicine as early as 25 years ago? Medicine is not like technology. 25 years ago, you couldn't afford a PC that was about as powerful as a calculator without taking out a loan . Now, you can buy one for 300 bucks, and push technology to its limits.

I think in many fields medicine is exactly like technology (and, in fact, is heavily dependent on that cutting-edge technology). Just as one example, and one that's not all that tech-centric, orthopaedic and sports medicine didn't really exist in any recognizable form until the mid-70s. When a buddy of mine tore knee ligaments in the 80s and they slit his leg open like a Christmas turkey and it was a very long time until he was able to walk without crutches and knee braces. 10-12 years later I had two ACL reconstructions and was on my feet without crutches within days and playing sports in six months, and today pro athletes are back on the field inside of 3-4 months.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Reading between the lines (and since I didn't conduct the interview) it looks like Roch tried multiple different ways to ask the same question. If I remember past interview answers from Brian about any past injury he was always upbeat and felt that he was ready to go when cleared. This sounds nothing like that at all. I am not worried about the Orioles money in regards to this, but like a previous poster noted there are previous examples to be learned from including Mohammed Ali and Merril Hodge/Al Toon always come to mind with concussions. After reading the interview and thinking about Robets going into the hole and diving for balls I am less optomistic about his return than I was at the end of the season. It is a shame he never got to play on a great team for the Orioles as the best Lead off hitter we have had since Brady. I hope we are all wrong after reading this, but it doesn't sound good. And having multiple concussions at his age of life is much different than having one concussion in college or high school. They are cumlative. States all across the country are inacting tougher concussion guidelines for athletes that we as therapists, athletic trainers, and doctors are going to be held accountable for. Concussions are serious. That is why I don't allow my son and daughter who are 9 & 7 to head the soccer ball at practices (side note soccer is the second leading sport in occurances of brain damage behind boxing!!). I wish Brian nothing but the best.

I think in many fields medicine is exactly like technology (and, in fact, is heavily dependent on that cutting-edge technology). Just as one example, and one that's not all that tech-centric, orthopaedic and sports medicine didn't really exist in any recognizable form until the mid-70s. When a buddy of mine tore knee ligaments in the 80s and they slit his leg open like a Christmas turkey and it was a very long time until he was able to walk without crutches and knee braces. 10-12 years later I had two ACL reconstructions and was on my feet without crutches within days and playing sports in six months, and today pro athletes are back on the field inside of 3-4 months.

In the 70's they proactively removed knee meniscus to prevent a tear during the season with elite soccer players in Europe. Their knees detoriated quickly after, thus requiring knee replacements. 20 years ago an ACL was casted for 3 months after surgery. Medicince is constantly evolving. We as a society no longer bleed people when they are sick to let out the evil/infection.

Concussions are serious. That is why I don't allow my son and daughter who are 9 & 7 to head the soccer ball at practices (side note soccer is the second leading sport in occurances of brain damage behind boxing!!).

My son has two friends who are brothers, ages 18 and 16, and both had concussions playing soccer this year. One had no serious repurcussions, but the other (the 16-year old) has gone about 3 months and still can't make it through a whole school day because of his headaches. He got hurt when another kid tried to slide-tackle the ball from behind and he flipped head over heels and the back of his head hit the ground.

It is hard to know whether BRob's recovery took a bad turn in the last few weeks, or whether Roch just caught him on a day when he didn't want to get overly optimistic. It's crystal clear that the O's have to plan as if BRob won't play much if at all this year.

IMHO, the vibe from both the Sun Magazine article and Roch's interview wasn't good. Robert's himself is obviously reluctant to be boldly positive, which likely means he is still having physical problems. Also, I've seen two recent photos of Roberts and in both his body looks to be noticeably less "filled out." He appears to be far....very far....from his physical condition just a year ago. My gut feeling is that even if Brian does make it back, he will be but a shadow of his former self. Truly sad.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/12/a-scouting-report-on-ryan-flaherty.html

"He doesn't have a defensive position locked in, but he probably would be serviceable at a handful of positions and with probably more offensive upside than some glove-only guys," Badler said. "I saw Flaherty play in April and talked to some scouts about him this past summer. He's not a big, thick guy, but he has a surprising amount of power in his frame. He has good power through the middle of the field, he can really drive the ball.

"He's got a solid approach to hitting. You can fool him some, but the power is plus raw power and he has a solid handle on the strike zone. He's played second, third and corner outfield. He may not excel at second or third but he can handle it capably and could move around some."

Badler was not too surprised Flaherty was available in the Rule 5.

"He struggled some at Triple-A, but every level before that he hit pretty well. He's a little older than you might see for a prospect at his level, but that is probably why he was (available) in the Rule 5. He probably has as good a chance as anyone taken in that draft to stick with his team," Badler said.

"I don't know whether they will use him at several positions or try to settle in at one, but he's probably more than an offensive-oriented utility guy. Utility isn't the right word - it gives more the impression he is a glove-first guy, which isn't really the case. The offensive upside is more intriguing with him than the glove."

Could Roberts be the DH? Limit his injury liability in the field.

He isn't a great defender anyway.

If I'm Roberts, I'm not taking any chances. I realize that this is his livelihood, but there are other things he can do in the game outside of playing. That's all he'll need is one errant pitch that hits him in the head and he could be looking at some serious repercussions.

If I'm Roberts, I'm not taking any chances. I realize that this is his livelihood, but there are other things he can do in the game outside of playing. That's all he'll need is one errant pitch that hits him in the head and he could be looking at some serious repercussions.

He has to do whats best concerning his health.

I think taking a fastball in the head is much less likely then getting plowed by Markakis on a dying quail to short right field. Minimize the risk. But both are certainly issues.

Could Roberts be the DH? Limit his injury liability in the field.

He isn't a great defender anyway.

I hope not. Paying a DH 10 million a year for mediocre production sounds very bad.

I am still hopeful of a buyout where Roberts doesn't put himself at further risk and the O's can move on.

I hope not. Paying a DH 10 million a year for mediocre production sounds very bad.

I am still hopeful of a buyout where Roberts doesn't put himself at further risk and the O's can move on.

There is no sense crying over spilt milk. Get what you can out of him.

Archived