Ray Ratto: Is Race and Personality affecting coverage of the Ryan Braun story?? (Orioles Related)

Peace21

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/13/is-race-and-personality-affecting-coverage-of-the-ryan-braun-story/

I just got done reading this piece by NBCSports.com's Craig Calcaterra summarizing and pointing out CSN Sports writer Ray Ratto's thoughts on Ryan Braun getting the benefit of the doubt for his PED'S positive test because he is a likable guy and race. I like Calcaterra agree it has nothing to do with race so lets throw that to the side with this topic. I agree with both Calcaterra and Ratto that Braun is getting a pass because he is a good guy and has been a good face for baseball.

Whereas Barry Bonds, who had a bad rap with the press and had a bad attitude, was instantly bombarded with blame for testing positive for steroids. Plus his body changed shape as well from the time he was with the Pirates to when he was with Giants, so that didnt help him in the end.

Calcaterra also points out after David Ortiz tested positive, that he wasn't questioned much on the result and it was swept under the rug because, as Calcaterra puts it, Ortiz is cuddly. Same goes for Andy Petite and in some cases with our very own BROB.

Now I post this on the O's page because I believe this is why Raffy will have a tough time getting into the HOF. The finger waving at congress and stating he never took roids hurt him in the court of public opinion and with voters and the press. Had he not done that and came out and apologized after he was found positive, he mayhave a better shot at getting into the HOF.

Do you agree that personality and being a good guy to the media helps a lot when someone gets nailed for a positive test?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who, exactly, is giving Braun the benefit of the doubt?

ESPN: Caution advised in Ryan Braun case

According to that article, the head of the union and "those close to Braun" are urging caution and/or think he is innocent. Of course, that doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

However, even on our own forum, you see comments like this:

Originally Posted by yyyyy
Originally Posted by xxxxx

According to the New York Daily News, Braun's original test for PED's was "insanely high, the higest ever or anyone who has ever taken a test, twice the level of the previous highest level ever taken."

That actually makes me more likely to believe he is innocent.

Mind you I still think he did it but something like that certainly makes the chances of a screwup of some kind more likely.

I'm not implying race has anything to do with it, but I don't remember anyone being inclined to believe that there was a mistake involved with any of the other known offenders. That being said, the fact that the test results were apparently very strange most likely has more to do with it than race.

If he does get off the hook somehow, it will look very suspicious considering the racial makeup of those whose appeals fell on deaf ears. Leaking information can cause bad situations.

Who, exactly, is giving Braun the benefit of the doubt?

Nearly all the analysis I've seen has been labeled with plenty of disclaimers that he disputes it and we still need more information.

I don't necessarily think he's "being given the benefit of the doubt", but (moreso than with many stories) enough people want to get more information before condemning him.

According to that article, the head of the union and "those close to Braun" are urging caution and/or think he is innocent. Of course, that doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

I'm not implying race has anything to do with it, but I don't remember anyone being inclined to believe that there was a mistake involved with any of the other known offenders. The fact that the test results were apparently very strange most likely has more to do with it than race.

That being said, if he does get off the hook somehow, it will look very suspicious considering the racial makeup of those who's appeals fell on deaf ears. Leaking information can cause bad situations.

There are always a few naive people who will believe anything they are told. No different here. I would bet if you took a poll it would be 90/10 the most lopsided you will ever get on pretty much any topic.

I'm not implying race has anything to do with it, but I don't remember anyone being inclined to believe that there was a mistake involved with any of the other known offenders.

The benefit of the doubt is accorded to those who appear to deserve it, regardless of race. Image is everything.. if you enjoy sporting a "Bad Boy" image, you can' then expect the "Good Boy" benefit of the doubt. Doesn't mean you're guilty, just means your image is more easily identified with guilt in that specific circumstance.

Braun is Jewish, so I'm throwing out the whole race condition right away when the article doesn't even mention it.

As far as personality goes, I don't think there's any question that how likeable a player is affects media coverage about the player. Obviously it shouldn't make a difference on journalistic standards, but it's simply human nature.

I'm not implying race has anything to do with it, but I don't remember anyone being inclined to believe that there was a mistake involved with any of the other known offenders. That being said, the fact that the test results were apparently very strange most likely has more to do with it than race.

If he does get off the hook somehow, it will look very suspicious considering the racial makeup of those whose appeals fell on deaf ears. Leaking information can cause bad situations.

This was no leak. The union said the appropriate words for any accused member. This is not a court of law.

BTW I like being poster xxxxx

Pretty sure race has exactly zero to do with any of this.

Pretty sure the bigger reason is that Braun is a fan favorite and not a jackass.

Jackasses tend to look worse in the media because people don't like them. See Aroid, ManRam, Palmeiro, McGwire, Sosa, CLEMENS......... race has nothing to do with it. Jackass-ness has everything to do with it.

Those six guys i just listed are like Joseph's Technicolor Dreamcoat of Jackasses

Having followed the story, it has occurred to me that the personality business was code for race. I don't remember Braun saving any infants from burning buildings. That said, reporters opinions and biases toward and against players have always colored their coverage of the player, however imperceptively. To suggest that it doesn't is to suggest that the media is not human.

The coverage has definitely been more pro-player than any other PED case I can remember but that could just mean that Braun has a great PR team.

Archived