Ray Ratto: Is Race and Personality affecting coverage of the Ryan Braun story?? (Orioles Related)

Peace21

Also, keep in mind that all of this is still pending. Braun especially won't say ANYTHING until all the appeals are done and the sentencing etc is finalized.

How he handles the interview questions afterwards will greatly affect how the public perceives him.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester

I think it is all about the "cuddliness" factor, not race. Is cuddliness a word? I have not given Braun a pass because I do not know if he is cuddly. Bonds is not.. Pappy is (you don't get called Pappy unless you are cuddly)...Petitte? to me no but to many he may be (I guess having the guts to admit it puts him in a sort-of cuddly category).

I hate it when the media gets self-righteous and carelessly throws out the race card, all in the interest of ratings. Ask Clemens, Palmeiro, and McGwire if race had anything to do with their coverage. I agree with those that think Braun's boy next door image may help. However, if he turns out to be guilty, the media will brand him with a scarlet letter that will take a long time to go away, if ever.

Whether or not you simply define race as skin color, I think you're giving people too much credit (and ignoring too much history) if you think they understand the distinction.

Still members of the press should know the difference between ethnicity and race.

Bonds got a pass in the vast scheme of things. He still owns his records, is still Hall eligible. Absent federal prosecution, which arguably is outside the sphere of baseball, he has gotten a pass.

Braun is getting a pass.

A-Rod is getting a pass.

Pettite got a pass.

Etc..

This is not a race issue. Why? Because all of these guys are make other people, and themselves, a ton of money, and that gets you a pass. The people not getting a pass are the minor leaguers, the latin player and the american players. This is not a race issue, its a money issue.

Bonds got a pass in the vast scheme of things. He still owns his records, is still Hall eligible. Absent federal prosecution, which arguably is outside the sphere of baseball, he has gotten a pass.

You think Bonds got a pass? I bet he has spent $5 mm + on attorneys defending his case, he has been convicted on certain charges, prosecutors have asked the court to sentence him to 15 months in prison, his career ended while he was stilll a good player because he was radioactive, his chances of getting in the Hall of Fame are close to zero, and 90% of baseball fans shun the guy. How is that getting a pass?

The stupidity to jump to hasty conclusions knows no racial boundaries. I don't see how Braun is being given a pass. He is being pilloried in the media when this story should not even be out. Regardless of the outcome his reputataion is permanently tarnished.

You think Bonds got a pass? I bet he has spent $5 mm + on attorneys defending his case, he has been convicted on certain charges, prosecutors have asked the court to sentence him to 15 months in prison, his career ended while he was stilll a good player because he was radioactive, his chances of getting in the Hall of Fame are close to zero, and 90% of baseball fans shun the guy. How is that getting a pass?

Reread my post. I say he got a baseball pass. He wasn't kicked out of the sport, he kept all of his records, and he is still eligible for the hall. Hell, I don't think he was every suspended. Baseball gave him a pass.

The federal government is another story. The federal government rarely gives anyone a pass.

Reread my post. I say he got a baseball pass. He wasn't kicked out of the sport, he kept all of his records, and he is still eligible for the hall. Hell, I don't think he was every suspended. Baseball gave him a pass.

The federal government is another story. The federal government rarely gives anyone a pass.

The issue isn't about MLB giving Bonds or Braun a pass, it is about the media and the court of public opinion.

Archived