Report: Mike Locksley New Offensive Coordinator

Brendan25

It's getting around, so we'll go with our friends at InsideMDSports. Long story short: sources are indicating that Mike Locksley is about to get hired at Maryland as the offensive coordinator to replace Gary Crowton.

This is right in the middle of the basketball game, so that's obviously the focus right now and we'll expand more on it later. Locksley was my ideal hire, and you can read more about him in my earlier post on the offensive coordinator situation.

For now, know that he's probably a "good-enough" offensive coordinator in the Xs-and-Os scenario. Not much in his history indicates that he'll be a cure-all for Maryland's offensive woes, though I do think he'll be as good as Crowton and quite possibly better. He'll likely introduce a pro-style offense, which should be a better fit for the Terrapins' personnel, so if nothing else he'll hold onto the ball more.

The real story, though, is the recruiting impact. In short, Locksley is a DC-area super-recruiter. He's like football's Dalonte Hill. He's not only one of the nation's elite recruiters, he's hands-down the best in this area. He got Arrelious Benn out to Illinois, for Juan's sake.

He will have a massive impact in recruiting. Massive. Mostly in the 2013 class, but also in the 2012 short-term. His addition should at least give Maryland a fighting chance at the elite locals, particularly Eddie Goldman but also Stefon Diggs and potentially Ronald Darby as well.

More later, including on his very public faults (punching an assistant, anyone?). Back to basketball.

Source: testudotimes

This could be the best move that Maryland football has made in a very, very long time.

Unless we have a "pro style" offense similar to Stanford I'm not excited. I loved watching Stanford play the past few years. Other than that I'm more in favor of the Oregon Ducks fast break offense.

The Terps still need to fix their god awful defense and special teams. Need 2 more coaches right there.

Unless we have a "pro style" offense run by a QB as good as Andrew Luck I'm not excited. I loved watching Andrew Luck play the past few years. Other than that I'm more in favor of the Oregon Ducks fast break offense.

The Terps still need to fix their god awful defense and special teams. Need 2 more coaches right there.

Fixed. Let's see what Stanford looks like next season.

Interesting move, and I have to say, one that was worthy of the Cavanaugh tease, IMO.

I'm a little excited to see them bring him on staff, but I don't think I see him as a good OC. Just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Now if they could also get Larry Johnson Sr, we'd probably have the best recruiting situation we've had in MD in my lifetime.

And I really do not care what kind of offense they install. Three yards and a cloud of dust is fine with me if it wins games.

Interesting move, and I have to say, one that was worthy of the Cavanaugh tease, IMO.

I'm a little excited to see them bring him on staff, but I don't think I see him as a good OC. Just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Now if they could also get Larry Johnson Sr, we'd probably have the best recruiting situation we've had in MD in my lifetime.

And I really do not care what kind of offense they install. Three yards and a cloud of dust is fine with me if it wins games.

The first part of winning is getting the players in place to be able to win. We, at this moment, are last in the ACC in recruiting for next year. I don't love the hire because of his coaching resume. If he can get the players in here however that we are hoping for, especially from this state, it will be a step in the right direction.

The first part of winning is getting the players in place to be able to win. We, at this moment, are last in the ACC in recruiting for next year. I don't love the hire because of his coaching resume. If he can get the players in here however that we are hoping for, especially from this state, it will be a step in the right direction.

Sure, I get the reason for the excitement of the hiring. But ultimately once you get the players here you need to coach them successfully.

I think this could work out really really well, or it could be a disaster. Locksley is a "player's coach" kind of guy - how is it going to go if he recruits kids who then come in and have to conform the Edsall's rules? If they play it right it could be a great good cop / bad cop way to do things, but, like I say, it could also blow up in their faces.

Interesting to me that no formal announcement has been made yet (that I know of). Still a chance this falls through?

Sure, I get the reason for the excitement of the hiring. But ultimately once you get the players here you need to coach them successfully.

I think this could work out really really well, or it could be a disaster. Locksley is a "player's coach" kind of guy - how is it going to go if he recruits kids who then come in and have to conform the Edsall's rules? If they play it right it could be a great good cop / bad cop way to do things, but, like I say, it could also blow up in their faces.

Interesting to me that no formal announcement has been made yet (that I know of). Still a chance this falls through?

If its one thing that I've learned in business is that time kills deals.

Who knows? Maybe the Human Resources department is still waiting to hear back from references or the results of the drug test? :laughlol:

Interesting.

Edsall the uber-disciplinarian hiring a guy with an extremely checkered past who was canned at UNM for, among other things, a recruit driving his car while intoxicated. Not to mention the whole punching an assistant coach and sexual harassment allegations.

Can't say I see him as a good fit, good recruiter or not.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-maryland-may-shake-up-defense-20111222,0,653678.story

Locksley is official now, and it sounds like we could see a new DC next.

Asked in an interview about [Defensive Coordinator Todd] Bradford, Edsall said: “Every day we’re evaluating.”

Hardly a ringing endorsement.

It's Chick Hernandez, who is usually dialed in, but was off on Sean Miller being a done deal. But here goes:

@CHICKatCSN

CHICK HERNANDEZ

Maryland DC Bradford out, my sources tell me school admin is working out contract details for the DC to be FORMER Terp HC Ron Vanderlinden

Not only does it seem unprecedented (fired HC returning as a coordinator), but I'm not sure this could be considered a good hiring either.

Um, so Chick Hernandez of Comcast Sports Net just tweeted that Bradford is going to be out as DC and that they are looking at...

Maryland DC Bradford out, my sources tell me school admin is working out contract details for the DC to be FORMER Terp HC Ron Vanderlinden

Ummmmmmm, k. I was young when Vanderlinden was the coach so I don't know too much about him to be honest. I know that he did't win as the head coach but that the 2002 Orange Bowl team was mostly his. If he's a good recruiter and a decent enough coach, I'm for it. This just seems quite odd to me.

Perhaps all you old-timers could give a little more insight ;):P

Archived