Norichika Aoki (update: Brewers get Aoki)

TakebackOPACY

So I was just trying to read up on Aoki because all signs point to the O's being serious bidders... And it turns out he was posted a few days ago and the time period is about to close.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-12-12/norichika-aoki-posted-by-japanese-team

It had previously been posted on mlbtraderumors that he would probably be posted early this week. But I guess I figured they decided to delay after Darvish was posted.

If the O's are to seriously bid on anyone through the Japanese posting system, this is their guy.

Bats left-handed. Could play left field in the MLB. Expected to be at least a moderate success in the MLB. Could back up center field.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I was just trying to read up on Aoki because all signs point to the O's being serious bidders... And it turns out he was posted a few days ago and the time period is about to close.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-12-12/norichika-aoki-posted-by-japanese-team

It had previously been posted on mlbtraderumors that he would probably be posted early this week. But I guess I figured they decided to delay after Darvish was posted.

If the O's are to seriously bid on anyone through the Japanese posting system, this is their guy.

Bats left-handed. Could play left field in the MLB. Expected to be at least a moderate success in the MLB. Could back up center field.

From the comments.

Jerry Adler

convert him to right field, and trade the Swisher stikout machine. do you hear me Cashman, and while we are in Japan get the Pitcher from japan. Then the lineup would START to look like it could beat Texas.

Reply ? Like

? Monday at 11:09am

Idiots.

The Orioles have some interest in Japanese outfielder Norichika Aoki of the Tokyo Yakult Swallows' date=' who turns 30 in January, has a .329 lifetime average and is a three-time Central League batting champion. But he may not be any better than other outfielders in the system, according to one person I checked with earlier this week.[/quote']

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/11/this-and-that-21.html

If we could land Aoki and Chen I truely believe it would really open doors for us in Asia. I really feel like no one is talking about Aoki. Aoki has put fantastic numbers for a long time. He is a fantastic hitter and no slouch with the glove and I think he would be a great target for us.

A feel Vids of the swing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GeER_cugzk&feature=related

.402 OBP. CF whose arm plays better in LF. Asian market. Sounds tailor-made for what DD's been laying down as a short-term strategy.

If we could land Aoki and Chen I truely believe it would really open doors for us in Asia. I really feel like no one is talking about Aoki. Aoki has put fantastic numbers for a long time. He is a fantastic hitter and no slouch with the glove and I think he would be a great target for us.

A feel Vids of the swing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GeER_cugzk&feature=related

If we land Aoki and Chen, haven't we already opened the doors and stepped through?

If we land Aoki and Chen, haven't we already opened the doors and stepped through?

Yes, I would say we have. I was leaning more to young Asian talent. But also you see so many Asian players that want to play for Seattle or at least a West coast team. I know this has a lot to do with being closer to Asia, but maybe we can become the go to team for Asian players. Not only would it open up the Asian market but it would help on the international level as a whole.

From the film he appears to know the strike zone and doesn't chase pitches in the dirt and off the outside corner by a foot. Can we field a lineup with hitters that are patient and smart? We give up at least 4-6 at bats every game with hitters the other team has scouted and knows will chase pitches out of the strike zone with runners on base. Let's try to add some contact hitters and see if some of those at bats can make a difference in games we have lost by a run or two every season. How much money will it take to get Aoki? I realize the videos were using clips to make Aoki look good. He hits for average and goes with the pitch it appears. Does anyone know the right field fence distance in the stadium he plays in most of the time in Japan? Thanks for the vids.

I would be very happy with this deal. It also looks like he has some stolen bases and some reasonable speed. It would be nice if he could convert to a .350+ OBP lead-off hitter with a bit of doubles power at the major league level for a few years. I don't have any insight on whether he would profile as such a hitter in the majors, but if he did and we were able to get him, we could start shaping a formidable line-up:

LF- Norichika Aoki (L)

SS- J.J. Hardy ®

RF- Nick Markakis (L)

CF- Adam Jones ®

1B/3B- Mark Reynolds ®

C- Matt Wieters (S)

DH/OF- Nolan Reimold ®

1B/3B- Chris Davis (L)

2B- Robert Andino/Brian Roberts/etc (R/S)

That would be a balanced attack. Obviously, there is still room for improvement across the board. We'd still lack that feared hitter in the middle, but we'd get power from several positions to make up for it.

His swing reminds me of Wade Boggs. Looks like he makes a lot of line drive contact with the occasional homerun. I think he would fit nicely at the top of the line up without Roberts or the 9 hole with Roberts. Either way I think he would definitely improve our line up.

Archived