Norichika Aoki (update: Brewers get Aoki)

TakebackOPACY

My guess is that Aoki is something like Brian Roberts as a hitter, like Roberts' career line of about .280/.350/.410. Maybe a little more average, a little less power. As long as that's what you expect, I think that can be an asset.

I am really excited by this guy. I would love to see him in an Oriole uniform.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree! If we could acquire this guy and he could prove himself a solid lead-off option, that helps setup our line-up. I feel much of our offensive inconsistencies were from lack of production in the lead-off spot. The offense always clicked the best over the past few years when Roberts was healthy and producing. Since we cannot count on that going forward, adding a guy atop the line-up that can get onbase and running a little would be very helpful.

My guess is that Aoki is something like Brian Roberts as a hitter, like Roberts' career line of about .280/.350/.410. Maybe a little more average, a little less power. As long as that's what you expect, I think that can be an asset.

Thats exactly the type of player we need especially if were gonna have Davis and Reynolds in the lineup at the same time.

I think he'd be an interesting and fairly useful guy to have, but temper your expectations. I think he's something like Micheal Bourne, just with 9 steals instead of 60. Coco Crisp is probably in his range out outcomes, just with less speed. Or... probably a lot like Kosuke Fukudome. Something like a 1.5-2 win player.

Maybe there's some upside beyond that. Ichiro did see his batting average carry over almost unchanged, maybe Aoki really hits .310 or .320. Doubt it, but maybe.

I think he'd be an interesting and fairly useful guy to have, but temper your expectations. I think he's something like Micheal Bourne, just with 9 steals instead of 60. Coco Crisp is probably in his range out outcomes, just with less speed. Or... probably a lot like Kosuke Fukudome. Something like a 1.5-2 win player.

Maybe there's some upside beyond that. Ichiro did see his batting average carry over almost unchanged, maybe Aoki really hits .310 or .320. Doubt it, but maybe.

Man, can you imagine having a .290-.310 leadoff guy with an OBP in the .360-.380 range? That would do wonders for JJ, Nick, Adam and Mark.

Man, can you imagine having a .290-.310 leadoff guy with an OBP in the .360-.380 range? That would do wonders for JJ, Nick, Adam and Mark.

That would be really nice. But just last year, in the Japanese Leagues, Aoki hit .292 with 4 homers and about a .350 OBP. And he's 30. They might be getting your .300/.370/.370 dream player, but they might be getting someone who'll hit .280/.330/.350. I think your suggestion here is pretty close to his ceiling.

That would be really nice. But just last year, in the Japanese Leagues, Aoki hit .292 with 4 homers and about a .350 OBP. And he's 30. They might be getting your .300/.370/.370 dream player, but they might be getting someone who'll hit .280/.330/.350. I think your suggestion here is pretty close to his ceiling.

Yes that is very true. I'd like to think that OBP translates pretty well. If he can be closer to that .370 OBP guy then that would do some very very nice things for this team.

Posting has closed and the Swallows have accepted a bid of $2.5 million

http://twitter.com/#!/kaznagatsuka/status/147883179989147648

No idea if it was the Orioles yet...

That sounds like no team see's him as a sure-fire everyday player. Several teams could have bid bigger if they thought they were getting their everyday center fielder.

That sounds like no team see's him as a sure-fire everyday player. Several teams could have bid bigger if they thought they were getting their everyday center fielder.

Well the Yankees got Nakajima for the same. I think both may be pleasant surprises for their teams.

Archived